Rebel, kamaka, or Moore Bettah ukuleles

Reaction score
I'm thinking about buying a tenor ukulele in the future, but I've been somewhat divided on which brand to invest in. It's between a custom Moore bettah, a standard longneck kamaka, or an alchemist rebel. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Depends what your budget is, moore bettah holds their value best if you csn get on and afford it

I'm thinking about buying a tenor ukulele in the future, but I've been somewhat divided on which brand to invest in. It's between a custom Moore bettah, a standard longneck kamaka, or an alchemist rebel. Does anyone have any recommendations?

you have a good chance to get a new Kamaka or a Rebel....but not as easy to get a new Custom Moore Bettah as you think.....there some used ones on Ukulele Friend....and a couple other sites

good luck

Is this for real? 4 posts in and you are asking this question? Just in case....
1. Moore Bettah. #1 by a mile, BTW
2. Kamaka
3. Rebel

I've been somewhat divided on which brand to invest in...Does anyone have any recommendations?
I recommend not buying a ukulele to invest in. Buy a ukulele to play. I doubt any of those 3 would be on my list for a first tenor.

Is a Rebel Alchemist even available? Or have all 6 (7?) sold already?

If you're thinking of it as an investment... then the MB is clearly the way to go.
Of the 3, it's most likely to hold or gain value. Good lord.. can you imagine what they'll go for after Chuck dies? (hopefully many many years from now) It'll be like the Stradivarius of ukes. It's also at the top of the brag scale if that matters to you.

I'm biased, as I picked the alchemist over a kamaka, although.. the cedar top tenor deluxe.. has always called out to me as the factory uke I'd want most.

I will say I'm still in love with my alchemist, and I'd pick it again in that price range.

MBU's are in a class of their own (in my humble opinion and no offense to Kamaka or Rebel).
Kamaka Ohta-san model would be my Kamaka choice.
Never have played a Rebel........ but have heard good things.

those rebels were not on my radar. I didn't think there was anywhere to go after my collings. thanks a bunch.

I recommend not buying a ukulele to invest in. Buy a ukulele to play. I doubt any of those 3 would be on my list for a first tenor.
I agree. For investment I'd go for a vintage Martin, maybe a 2 0r 3. They are collectible and limited in supply. But then you have to worry about theft, cracking, play wear, etc. My most expensive uke is a Collings, which I almost sold because it was so perfect I didn't want to scratch it. Then I said to myself "this is crazy, the uke was made to make music and I;m playing the hell out of it and enjoying it. I did buy it used so I can probably sell it for what I paid, but when buying new I think you will take a hit, I could be wrong in the case of a Moore.

If it's an investment vs. for playing, I think any of the ukuleles are a gamble. No telling how the economy will be and what the ukulele market will be when you decide to sell.

If you're looking for a high end ukulele to play, then the best one is the one that sounds best to your ears, and feels best to you to play. They would all be very special ukuleles, I'm sure.

Why did you pick those 3 as the ones to decide between? Maybe knowing that will help people give you input that fits your situation.

you have a good chance to get a new Kamaka or a Rebel....but not as easy to get a new Custom Moore Bettah as you think.....there some used ones on Ukulele Friend....and a couple other sites

good luck

I am with Len. It is not so easy to just go out and buy a Moore Bettah, almost impossible to get on Chuck's list and at only four built every few months, they go fast on auctions too. The used are out there, I think Ukulele Friend and Reverb both have or recently had one, but even they are pretty rare as most people don't give them up. That being said, if you can, you will never regret it. And if you do, people will line up to buy it from you. They are few and far between, but I have never seen or played a uke that was its equal. And you will not lose money if you decide it isn't for you.

The others are fine as well, I mean them no disrespect, but for me, it would be the MB by a mile.

Last edited:
YEH, I want MY two cents here, owning 64 UKES (crazy person)and played most (love them all) except have not played one of the Moore Bettah, I would go with one like Koala or Kanilea, Kamaka OK also but you know you will not get much better than these in the playability & looks which Kanilea tops them (in my book)all except $3000+ models which are mostly BLING & fine looking woods. Hey if I could get one from Chuck I would but too much to hope for, the 4 K's are GREAT selections for final UKES, except for my UAS , I would go there. I am hopeless

I should clarify that I'm new to UU, but I've played for about 9-10 years. Ive only gotten really serious about it in the past couple though. Right now I'm playing on a cheap concert. thanks for the list!

I probably shouldn't have said "investment" in my original post, I meant to ask which of those three brands people would recommend for playability, and value.

Rebel is a relatively new brand, and I haven't seen many reviews on them. I kinda wanted to know what y'all thought about them. Kamaka is really well known, like the rickenbacker of the uke community. The videos I've seen have really impressed me. My play style is pretty jazzy most of the time, and I like how their longneck tenor sounds with the low G. As for Moore bettah, that's kind of a far off dream uke �� I just wanted to see people's thoughts on chances of getting one!

I probably shouldn't have said "investment" in my original post, I meant to ask which of those three brands people would recommend for playability, and value.

Rebel is a relatively new brand, and I haven't seen many reviews on them. I kinda wanted to know what y'all thought about them. Kamaka is really well known, like the rickenbacker of the uke community. The videos I've seen have really impressed me. My play style is pretty jazzy most of the time, and I like how their longneck tenor sounds with the low G. As for Moore bettah, that's kind of a far off dream uke �� I just wanted to see people's thoughts on chances of getting one!

Haha...Kamaka the Rickenbacker of the uke community,,,that is a good one....:)

Kamaka celebrating their 100th year...I call Kamaka the granddaddy of all ukulele....IMO

Well, as stated, MB's are hard to buy since the supply does not meet the demand. Not sure about the Rebels availability so your best bet would be on a anniversary Kamaka. If you want to save some money, buying last year's model is selling at discounts since everyone wants the 100th logos for collecting as well as playing since they are a one year item.

Top Bottom