Electric uke truss rod?

georgiw

Reaction score
First attempt at a non-kit uke build and I need some advise. I've started a solid body electric soprano and need some advise as to whether a truss rod, or at least some type neck stiffener is needed. I am using a generic purchased neck and will bolt it to the body,so the room available to add a truss rod is very limited. Does anyone think I can get away with no truss rod and steel strings? Does the short scale length of the soprano help? Would a CF rod epoxied in suffice? I am trying not to over complicate this first build, but also don't want to end up with junk. Any advise would be great.

I have a Jupiter Creek steel string Concert size solid body ukulele and its fine without a truss rod. You can feel the neck moving around a bit, I just took it out of its case for a quick look and its handling the stress just fine.

If I was to build/specify one from scratch I would use a laminated neck rather than a truss rod for a little more stiffness. Now the Jupiter Creek has a reasonably chunky hand made neck. I really cant be certain how your pre-made neck will perform.

Anthony

My soprano Konablaster with steel strings has no truss rod. BTW turns out I like nylon strings better even on a solid (Risa stick) uke.

Magnetic pickups have a much more limited frequency than a piezo.

That's my experience on the subject.

A build thread with pictures is always appreciated by most of us here.

~AL~

Last edited:
Thanks Anthony and AL, just the info I needed. I will go without the truss rod and hope my off the shelf neck is stout enough. I will still contemplate the cf rod for a bit, that will be far easier to execute in my case and will provide a little reassurance, just in case my neck is a little under built. Thanks again for the input.

George

Last edited:
Top Bottom