tools needed for setup work/minor repair

Recstar24

Reaction score
Hi,

As a music classroom teacher, I am finding the need to really start investing in some tools to take care of some setup work as well as for minor repairs. My classroom has both ukes and guitars, and I really should take care of a lot of fret ends that are poking out, as well as some buzzing issues. Below is what I think I need to do so far:

1) file fret ends on both ukes and guitars, get them nice and smooth for the students for next year
2) take care of some buzzing, probably need to look at filing some frets down
3) may need to refile some new nut slot grooves as well as saddles
4) I need to learn how to do all this stuff obviously (lol), so a resource manual or book that can help me
5) some kind of neck rest stand to help me do string changes faster smoother and cleaner
6) any other tools you think are necessary for a music teacher in my position, about 30 ukes and 30 guitars total.

I do have a little bit of a school budget left that I am trying to use up before the end of the school year. Figured investing in some tools to take care of the above items would be a good way to keep the instruments healthy for years to come. Thank you for any help you can provide.

Ryan

Skip the books, there are better videos on youtube. Try the Stewart MacDonald, and LMI videos. after watching a few you will see what tools you need. Stewart McDonald sells some kits for basic setups. Theoretically you save a little money by getting a kit.

You can learn all this from Youtube which will also give you ideas on which tools are needed. Apart from the obvious and various files and sandpaper, a set of feeler gauges, action gauge, allen keys to adjust truss rods and string winder will come in handy. Mike.

I recommend the Stew Mac fretting kit. I've found all the tools in the kit useful. If your budget doesn't allow for Stew-Mac prices, source the various kit components from ebay or other sources.

Ryan, I would be happy to show you how I would do it and the tools you would need. Just give me a call when you can come by.

Ryan, I would be happy to show you how I would do it and the tools you would need. Just give me a call when you can come by.

Kevin, I'll gladly take you up on that offer. Thanks for taking the time to teach me how to fish for myself :)

Top Bottom