Kala Elite

HMS has had them in stock for a while now. They don't seem to be selling too quickly. I suspect they are quality instruments but are having a hard time selling due to their prices being higher than the K brands. I would love to be able to try one out in person.

Would like to play one, but will have to be impressive as my KA-ASAC-S looks and sounds and plays fairly well.....
R

Yeah, I've always liked my Kalas, but for that price, I think I'd go Kamaka too...

For the money of the elite's... there seems to be better ukes.
Kala is great in the mass market.

But their custom line doesn't seem to extend enough for the cost.
Lots of ukes sound good.... but for the price tag on them, I think people are going to want more.

Purchased a Kala Elite 2 concert recently, mostly for the bigger neck. I already have concerts by Martin (both Nazareth and Mexico), Kamaka, KoAloha, and Mya-Moe and love all of them. Bought my Elite from HMS, and prices had already dropped to mid 8's for my 2. Usual fantastic setup from HMS. Absolutely love the larger Elite neck. Fretting room typical of a tenor, with none of the stretch that my hands don't like. Fit and finish is as good as any of the others. IMO, the Kala Elite is well worth the price I paid. I'll update this after much more use, but so far, it's a great uke! Very impressed!

Last edited:
I am super curious how they feel and sound in person but as there is nobody around selling those Ukes I don't think that I will ever have the pleasure to do play one of them.

From YouTube clips they sound very much like... a Kala. For the price i would go Kamaka, Koaloha etc.

The build of the Elite looks excellent. They sound terrific. Kala is a big mass market brand. I think eventually the Elite will catch one. The brand has been all mass market, low end, now extending to USA made. That will take awhile to develope the top end. IMHO......getting more out for people to play vrs the K brands so people can see if they are on par is important and take time. If I could play one in person next to a Kanilea or Kamaka that would be the test for me. I already know what KoAloha is like. And lest we not for get Imua. A relatively new Hawaian brand priced less but of course less bling than some of the Elite. As I live far from any store that would have all of the above I guess it will have to be a trip to HMS to find all in one spot to test.

That would be a good comparison for HMS to do . Take all the above with close the same wood and do a sound shoot out.

Aren't we lucky we have so many good production made ukuleles to choose from.

It's very difficult to break into the established "K" brand market with a ukulele built on the mainland. Kala should differentiate themselves by developing a high end market for ukulele built on the West coast. They appear to have the quality but their marketing strategy throws them up against some stiff competition.

It's very difficult to break into the established "K" brand market with a ukulele built on the mainland. Kala should differentiate themselves by developing a high end market for ukulele built on the West coast. They appear to have the quality but their marketing strategy throws them up against some stiff competition.

Isn't that exactly what the Kala Elite series is? A high end (almost custom) ukulele built in California at their HQ? The Elites are not imports.

Isn't that exactly what the Kala Elite series is? A high end (almost custom) ukulele built in California at their HQ? The Elites are not imports.

Yes, they are a high end ukulele made in California (not an import). Checking their website, https://kalabrand.com/pages/elite-ukulele-collections, one finds that their first and greater focus is on the "Koa" collection which is in direct competition with the "K" brands. IMHO they would have been better served had they started with and focused on their mahogany and luthier collections to build the "Elite" brand reputation before venturing into "K" land.

While several higher end/custom uke builders have added an import line, is Kala the only import line to add a higher end/custom line?

I will admit I was a bit skeptical when Kala Elite was announced. However, I have been watching them closely online and have been impressed with what I've seen/heard. Finally, today I will check them out in person during a visit to HMS. Here is one of the latest samples from HMS:

https://vimeo.com/191890279

Last edited:
When the Kala elite series was announced it had me scratching my head. After a fairly long thread here on UU I came to the conclusion that the primary market is the mass market music stores that reach places where there is no specialty store selling K brand ukes. If you live in LA, as I do, or another major city, there are specialty music stores selling boutique guitars and ukuleles. But what if you live in somewhere like XXX, Idaho or Nebraska or somewhere. It's possible the only place you can get an instrument is from stores that have distribution relationships with companies like Kala.

I will admit I was a bit skeptical when Kala Elite was announced. However, I have been watching them closely online and have been impressed with what I've seen/heard. Finally, today I will check them out in person during a visit to HMS. Here is one of the latest samples from HMS:

https://vimeo.com/191890279

Every uke that guy plays sounds pretty much the same.... FANTASTIC! 80% fingers 20% uke. Low G a Makala and he would give the same results. :cool:

That's the best sample I have heard of the Kalas. Certainly perked my ears up.

Every uke that guy plays sounds pretty much the same.... FANTASTIC! 80% fingers 20% uke. Low G a Makala and he would give the same results. :cool:

That's the best sample I have heard of the Kalas. Certainly perked my ears up.

I know you were joking ... and your comments are funny and true.

But let's give Kala props ... that Uke does sound really great and the workmanship is also outstanding.

I think if they are to make it against other K Brands, then they should add features I currently can't get with a K brand ... like a radius fret board or a sound port.

Then they have raised the bar ... similar to the Pono Pro Classic line ... Pono offers tremendous value at its price point and is in a league of its own.

Kala could do the same.

The price on the Kala elites are dropping. Making it even more tempting. Anyone play one of them against another k recently?

The price on the Kala elites are dropping. Making it even more tempting. Anyone play one of them against another k recently?

Yes, I played some at HMS. Wonderful instruments. When you consider the tone, playability, aesthetics and build details, I think they are very good buys. That Kala 3Koa Soprano at HMS is an absolute tone monster. The one thing I do not care for on that particular instrument is the side-facing tuners. Wish they were rear-facing.

Top Bottom