Kou Concert

saltytri

Reaction score
That's right, "kou" not "koa." Kou was once common in the Hawaiian Islands but has become unusual so I thought that UUers might like to see this 16" concert. The top is Sitka spruce with curly maple bindings and an ebony fret board. This one also introduces a radiused fret board as a new option.

27121267315_710664472e_b.jpg

27121268075_c16c938c15_b.jpg

27121266655_8f10780e6d_b.jpg

27026673522_db2c53b656_b.jpg

Last edited:
Stunning uke. Always a treat to see your work.

Great I'll take one k thx :)

Great "flow" to the colors from the wonderfully book matched dark back to the two-tone sides and bright top.

Can't wait to see what's coming tomorrow. :eek:

Thanks, Bill!

Yep, radiused. So, now you have to get a new one. :)

Very nice! I thought it was a soft wood, though? While it is relatively uncommon on Hawaii still, I believe it is still scattered throughout Polynesia. I think the Tahitians call it Tou?

Anyhow, nice looking uke!

Very nice! I thought it was a soft wood, though? While it is relatively uncommon on Hawaii still, I believe it is still scattered throughout Polynesia. I think the Tahitians call it Tou?

Anyhow, nice looking uke!

Yes, it is the same stuff as "tou" in Tahiti. The taxonomic name is cordia subcordata. The genus cordia also includes ziricote and at least one of the species that are marketed as Bolivian rosewood. Some kou may be soft for all I know but this board (the back and sides came from the same board) is reasonably light but stiff and it had a nice, ringy tap tone.

Wow, this is something you won't see every day! From the "Original Method and Self Instructor on the Ukulele" - 1915 by A.A. Santos & Angelique Nunes (daughter in law of Manuel):

The Ukulele was introduced to the Hawaiian Islands by Mr. M. Nunes in 1879 A.D. ... Mr. Nunes experimented with various woods here in Hawaii before he discovered that Koa and Kou were the only woods which possesed resonance adapted to the Ukulele. They are now made of Koa entirely as Kou has become extinct.

David apparently posseses the power the raise extinct species from the dead, and the owner of this instrument gets a rare glimpse back to the Ukuleles origins.

Last edited:
Dirk, that's a great piece of information!

Kou isn't extinct in Hawaii but there apparently aren't a lot of big trees around because of a pest that was introduced in the 1800s. I'm flattered that you attribute supernatural powers to me but it just ain't so. If that is a deep disappointment to you, perhaps you will feel better knowing that Southcoast MU-NW strings are what make this little sweetie sing.

:shaka:

Last edited:
Jeez, Bill, let a guy finish his coffee, will ya?

Top Bottom