Are humidipak any good?

Yes they are. I used Oasis in all my ukuleles but when going away for a month was faced with a problem. No one to fill them.
I purchased two systems, put them in my best ukuleles and when I came back, humidity was perfect. After the second month back, I pull the packs, put them in a tupper ware container with water in bottom to re charge them. You don't actually submerse the packs in water but rather put another smaller container inside the bigger tubber ware container and put a lid on it. Two charges to date and they keep on ticking. I will pick up a third system for another ukulele that I purchased, +100% on these. They work great for Ukulele.

In winter in Minnesota (MN), bazmaz, humidifiers should be going in uke cases. Right now, no. I'm in Ohio, so I humidify rooms my house in the winter, dehumidify in the summer as needed. And that is for my own comfort, forget about the ukes! The Midwest is not a temperate climate like the UK. It's all dependent on where you live, what season it is, whether you have whole house humidification, etc. That's why it's a good idea to find out what the indoor humidity is in one's house before thinking about humidifying ukes.

Which is EXACTLY what the blog post I linked to says.

Yes, but it's not just people from Minnesota reading this forum though. People live all over the place and the answer to whether you should humidify entirely depends on where you are (the point of the blog post)

But I did agree that the humidipaks are good.

Humidipak makes a 2 way system for D'addario that adds or subtracts humidity as needed, it's all I use and I think it's the best system out there. Otherwise Humidipacks are made by Boveda and they make a 49% humidipack for guitars and Ukes.

I do use the Boveda ones in a humidor actually!

I'm in Canada in British Columbia. Our winters get down to less that 20% humidity and we use central heating and air conditioning. As long as my solid wood ukuleles are in the 40-50% range I am happy.

Took my Pono At to Mexici for January this year and humidity was 50-60% so did not use Oasis or any extra humidification. Ukulele played and sounded great.

So, you don't want to over humidify (I.e keep it in the case at 70%) so common sense will apply.

I'm in the cigar biz so that's how I know about Boveda, they are used a lot in cigar humidors but the company actually started as an instrument humidification company, the cigar usage came after.

Just make sure that you use a hygrometer so you can determine what level your humidity is. Do not just assume that the humidipak will bring your humidity to the desired level. I have put humidipaks into a closed display case and still remained in the 30's when it was particularly dry. In that situation the only solution that i could find was using multiple wet sponges.

It's typically the winter months in MN that I make sure to humidify. I am going to test these out to see how they peform.

I have a Wally hub that probably could go in the case the closely monitor the humidity as well.http://www.wallyhome.com/how/

Top Bottom