Still in love with ukulele?

same with me...I go down to the Ukulele Site in Haleiwa a couple of times a week just to see all the new ukes that come in....and I am at the Pono/Ko'olau warehouse looking at the custom ukes when I can to....and I pick up my ukes daily

what would I be doing with my time if it wasn't for the uke....:)

In a word, "Yep."

Yes, more than ever. 2 years plus in and I'm on UU underground forum every day , visit HMS daily via the net, and pick up my ukuleles everyday. Played guitar for 50+years and haven't really played it in two years. I travel with a tenor now on holidays. Passion is definitely NOT waning

Havnt played anywhere near as long as you fellas but so far so good, I'm loving it!

7 years and still obsessed...

Such a simple question, but a poignant one Mike. For me, the answer is yes. I don't play as much as I used to, but I still play almost every day. When I was in the throws of UAS, it was all ukulele all the time. But since I have sold off most of my ukuleles, it is a good barometer to see whether I was in love with the ukulele, or the ukulele and everything that goes along with it as well. And that includes buying and selling, and certainly all things associated with the UU.

This should be an very interesting thread, especially for people that have been playing for a while.

I go up and down. For two months all I played was slide guitar. For the last two weeks I've pretty much stuck with an 8 string Kamaka. So many instruments so little time

Definitely, yes. It's the only instrument I play regularly, and it's still my "escape" from the computer. :) My UAS seems to have quietened now too since I have somewhat settled the "size" question. The Black Bear soprano was almost like a bringer of peace. Almost, because there will always be curiosity and desires, but it's relaxing now that I no longer feel I "need" to decide on a size (and I have a vintage soprano to complete the BB koa sop). I still like concerts, too, but right now sopranos work best for me and I find that sticking to one size helps me to improve, which in turn results in lots of happy feelings.

My original motivation for playing the uke was my really young grandchildren. Then it became a nice thing to do with my aging Mom. Mom passed away earlier this month, and the grandkids are all between 5 and 10 now and more into making their own music than listening to Papa play. So without an audience for dopey nursery rhymes or bouncy old Vaudeville tunes anymore, my uke repertoire is less relevant these days. Consequently, my motivation has petered out a bit.

It's still a lot of fun for me, but I think I've peaked as a player, and I don't think I will be playing enough anymore to get a whole lot better. Typically, that's when I move on, but we'll see.

I also notice that the same people who were intrigued by the uke (and anyone who played it) during the peak of the craze a few years ago are back to ridiculing the instrument. I used to keep one at work all the time and people always loved when I pulled it out. Now the reaction is more like, "Yeah, yeah, yeah...play us another tune, Tiny Tim."

I've only been playing ~a year and have seven Ukes of all sizes, but like the Tenor mostly, and then in dGBE tuning. I keep my concerts in C6 Linear and my soprano, seldom played, is in re-entrant C. I just like the G tuning better.

I play around more than practice so I've plateaued in techniques and skill. But I play every day at least three different ukes.

I guess I ought to get back into my Learn To Play books and start lessons again.

Top Bottom