PDA

View Full Version : Still in love with ukulele?

Uke Republic
05-21-2016, 08:43 AM
I've been playing ukulele for years and I'm surrounded by ukuleles in our shop everyday but even on my days off I'm picking up ukulele. So I'd say I'm still in love with ukulele! Maybe obsessed :D
How about you?

hawaii 50
05-21-2016, 08:59 AM
same with me...I go down to the Ukulele Site in Haleiwa a couple of times a week just to see all the new ukes that come in....and I am at the Pono/Ko'olau warehouse looking at the custom ukes when I can to....and I pick up my ukes daily

what would I be doing with my time if it wasn't for the uke....:)

Ukulele Eddie
05-21-2016, 09:33 AM
In a word, "Yep."

janeray1940
05-21-2016, 09:50 AM
Almost eight years now, and the love doesn't seem to be fading at all.

DownUpDave
05-21-2016, 10:27 AM
In a word, "Yep."

In two words "Oh Yea"

M3Ukulele
05-21-2016, 10:29 AM
Yes, more than ever. 2 years plus in and I'm on UU underground forum every day , visit HMS daily via the net, and pick up my ukuleles everyday. Played guitar for 50+years and haven't really played it in two years. I travel with a tenor now on holidays. Passion is definitely NOT waning

cml
05-21-2016, 10:42 AM
Havnt played anywhere near as long as you fellas but so far so good, I'm loving it!

joekulele
05-21-2016, 10:49 AM
7 years and still obsessed...

Booli
05-21-2016, 12:23 PM
April 2016 was my 3 yr anniversary of joining the forum here.

see: http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?79842-Hello-from-NJ!

Not ANY signs of slowing down.
In fact I am even more obsessed with ukulele now than ever before. :music: :rock: :nana: :shaka:

johnson430
05-21-2016, 12:59 PM
Yes, I still love the uke and do my best to practice/play every day.

dkcrown
05-21-2016, 01:28 PM
Such a simple question, but a poignant one Mike. For me, the answer is yes. I don't play as much as I used to, but I still play almost every day. When I was in the throws of UAS, it was all ukulele all the time. But since I have sold off most of my ukuleles, it is a good barometer to see whether I was in love with the ukulele, or the ukulele and everything that goes along with it as well. And that includes buying and selling, and certainly all things associated with the UU.

This should be an very interesting thread, especially for people that have been playing for a while.

Cornfield
05-21-2016, 02:07 PM
I go up and down. For two months all I played was slide guitar. For the last two weeks I've pretty much stuck with an 8 string Kamaka. So many instruments so little time

spongeuke
05-21-2016, 02:47 PM
"Love is Love, not fade away"
Keep on Strumming Dave

Mivo
05-21-2016, 03:57 PM
Definitely, yes. It's the only instrument I play regularly, and it's still my "escape" from the computer. :) My UAS seems to have quietened now too since I have somewhat settled the "size" question. The Black Bear soprano was almost like a bringer of peace. Almost, because there will always be curiosity and desires, but it's relaxing now that I no longer feel I "need" to decide on a size (and I have a vintage soprano to complete the BB koa sop). I still like concerts, too, but right now sopranos work best for me and I find that sticking to one size helps me to improve, which in turn results in lots of happy feelings.

sam13
05-21-2016, 04:36 PM
Deeply. Madly. Truly.

Booli
05-21-2016, 04:49 PM
Deeply. Madly. Truly.

ha ha - I wonder how many will see the Savage Garden reference :)

Camsuke
05-21-2016, 05:03 PM
ha ha - I wonder how many will see the Savage Garden reference :)

Is that a horticultural show?

Papa Tom
05-21-2016, 05:33 PM
My original motivation for playing the uke was my really young grandchildren. Then it became a nice thing to do with my aging Mom. Mom passed away earlier this month, and the grandkids are all between 5 and 10 now and more into making their own music than listening to Papa play. So without an audience for dopey nursery rhymes or bouncy old Vaudeville tunes anymore, my uke repertoire is less relevant these days. Consequently, my motivation has petered out a bit.

It's still a lot of fun for me, but I think I've peaked as a player, and I don't think I will be playing enough anymore to get a whole lot better. Typically, that's when I move on, but we'll see.

I also notice that the same people who were intrigued by the uke (and anyone who played it) during the peak of the craze a few years ago are back to ridiculing the instrument. I used to keep one at work all the time and people always loved when I pulled it out. Now the reaction is more like, "Yeah, yeah, yeah...play us another tune, Tiny Tim."

JackLuis
05-21-2016, 06:03 PM
I've only been playing ~a year and have seven Ukes of all sizes, but like the Tenor mostly, and then in dGBE tuning. I keep my concerts in C6 Linear and my soprano, seldom played, is in re-entrant C. I just like the G tuning better.

I play around more than practice so I've plateaued in techniques and skill. But I play every day at least three different ukes.

I guess I ought to get back into my Learn To Play books and start lessons again.

Booli
05-21-2016, 06:13 PM
Is that a horticultural show?

Good one! :rofl:

But in case you were serious- see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQnAxOQxQIU

kohanmike
05-21-2016, 07:27 PM
I don't know if I can say I'm "in love," but I'm certainly infatuated. I started playing almost four years ago. In the first year I spent more time playing the uke then I did the previous 20 years playing guitar, which I played for almost 50 years, and haven't touched them since. I accumulated 16 tenor cutaway ukes in that time, then over a year ago I started playing bass uke, which took me over (I have 9 and about to add a 10th), and I only pick up a uke a couple times a weeks, but I'm on UU many times a day. Every night before I go to sleep I click my bookmark for eBay newly listed tenors. To my surprise, I even bought one a few weeks ago after not buying any for over two years, liked the style and for $100 it sounds really good.

Croaky Keith
05-21-2016, 09:54 PM
I'm only six months into my journey, & there are still lots of things to try, but, yes, so far the uke is working for me. :)

I needed a hobby for indoors when I retired, bought an electric piano to try & learn, still not really looked at it.

Tried to play harmonicas, both diatonic & chromatic, chromatic was OK, could just about get a tune out of it, but it was hard work for me.

Then I tried a uke. Caught a mild dose of UAS, & now have sopranos, concerts, a tenor, & now also, just this week, a baritone.

I'm certainly enjoying my journey - a lot of which is instigated by the Seasons on here.

Soundbored
05-22-2016, 01:26 AM
I'm about two years into playing ukulele, after 30 years of mucking around with guitars (in and out of bands). I tinker with piano and harmonica too, but the ukulele's power to put a smile on my face never ceases to amaze me. It's the most inviting and approachable instrument in the world, IMO.

I've been seriously debating selling off my two remaining electric guitars, which are just collecting dust now.

Phuufme
05-22-2016, 02:37 AM
I have been playing for about 2 years, and gigging with the uke for just about this long. We started playing at retirement living places about 6 months ago and we have been adding 20s - 40s songs since then. The uke is perfect for these songs. So, yes, I am still excited about playing my uke. And, when we bring out the uke at gigs, everyone in the audience smiles. Yes, a happy instrument.

kvehe
05-22-2016, 02:48 AM
:D Yes, yes, a thousand times yes. No, I do not have a thousand ukuleles.

...although my cat died on Thursday (no, not Trudy) and when my dog died three years ago I bought a Martin CK1. Maybe a little retail therapy is in order. Perhaps an Ohana sopranissimo?

flailingfingers
05-22-2016, 02:57 AM
By asking the question on this forum you're bound to see 100% "likes". It would be different if ,magically, you could get feedback from the general population that has tried ukes over the last 5 years or so........magically. But that also would apply to most any hobby/ sport, etc. Humans try stuff and get bored and move on. Now, having said all that, I personally, moi, myself have found my attachment to the uke has only grown and that's unusual. I like to try different things and usually I move on. So far the uke gets to be more a part of my life every day, bringing much joy.

Rllink
05-22-2016, 04:48 AM
By asking the question on this forum you're bound to see 100% "likes". It would be different if ,magically, you could get feedback from the general population that has tried ukes over the last 5 years or so........magically. But that also would apply to most any hobby/ sport, etc. Humans try stuff and get bored and move on. Now, having said all that, I personally, moi, myself have found my attachment to the uke has only grown and that's unusual. I like to try different things and usually I move on. So far the uke gets to be more a part of my life every day, bringing much joy.I don't want to be a downer here, but love is a pretty strong word. I still like playing and learning to play the ukulele as much as I ever have. But love is not how I would describe my relationship with the ukulele. In this context, I have used the term passionate before. Some people are passionate about ukuleles. I am not. I'm not really a passionate type of person in general. I find it more a fun activity than a romantic attachment, so I am not particularly emotional about the experience. I do feel that my enjoyment will be long lived though. I have a lot of fun playing it. Maybe it is just semantics.

janeray1940
05-22-2016, 07:32 AM
I don't want to be a downer here, but love is a pretty strong word. I still like playing and learning to play the ukulele as much as I ever have. But love is not how I would describe my relationship with the ukulele. In this context, I have used the term passionate before. Some people are passionate about ukuleles. I am not. I'm not really a passionate type of person in general. I find it more a fun activity than a romantic attachment, so I am not particularly emotional about the experience. I do feel that my enjoyment will be long lived though. I have a lot of fun playing it. Maybe it is just semantics.

I actually hesitated to answer at first because I find the word "love" hard enough to apply to living things, never mind inanimate objects. I'm not a sentimental or very emotional type AT ALL. But then it hit me that there are few other things in life that I have enjoyed so much, worked so hard at, and committed so strongly to as I have playing music on the uke, so - if that isn't love, then hey, I don't know what is :)

Mattyukaholic
05-22-2016, 08:35 AM
This little instrument has changed my life completely. I am thankful every single day.

Ukejenny
05-22-2016, 11:11 AM
Yes, Sir! I'm still loving it! And getting ready to begin lessons, hopefully, with Mattyukaholic.

lfoo6952
05-22-2016, 04:02 PM
I am new to the uke. I just started my musical uke journey, and I am loving it.

Like many of your here, I have played acoustic guitar for many years (over 40 years). I decided to take up the uke about 2 months ago because I had extra free time on my hands. I found a teacher, who gave me a solid foundation, and progressed so rapidly, due to similarities to the guitar, that I gave my 1st public performance to my work colleagues a month later. I find the uke to lend itself to old jazz standards and tin pan alley tunes which I enjoy playing and singing. This little instrument is so much more fun to play than guitar. In the future, I hope to bring joy by playing and singing for hospital patients or nursing home patients.

I bought a low end Kala to start with, not knowing if I would stick with it. Fast-forward, a couple of weeks ago I ordered a custom made Tony Graziano. I am also in love with a tenor Kamaka, so I see it in my future. I am now stricken with UAS.

Lastly, this forum has been a tremendous wealth of information, and I very much appreciate interacting with everyone here.

All the best,
Luke

blab
05-23-2016, 02:29 AM
Those who'd answer 'no' aren't here anymore. ;) Having that said...

No, I'm not. :)

After 2 or 3 intense years it was over.

Main reasons: I always wanted to play jazz but there is only very little instruction material (books) out there. Starting with jazz on the ukulele is very, very difficult, IMO. I ran out of new things to learn and after a while lost interest in repeating the songs I knew.

Also, I always wanted an archtop but the (acoustic) archtop ukuleles I liked were very expensive and might not produce the sound I wanted.

Switching back to guitar solved both these issues. Got an inexpensive archtop (Epiphone Broadway) that I love. And there's enough learning material for more than a lifetime. Currently working through Mickey Baker vol. 1 and William Leavitt's MMFG vol. 1.

I still play the uke from time to time, mainly to not forget the few picking arrangements I made myself.

And I still have my long term goal, being able to arrange and play something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTMpXf8oG6Y

Soundbored
05-23-2016, 02:59 AM
Main reasons: I always wanted to play jazz but there is only very little instruction material (books) out there. Starting with jazz on the ukulele is very, very difficult, IMO. I ran out of new things to learn...

...Currently working through Mickey Baker vol. 1

Mickey Baker's books, and any other guitar instructional books, are all directly applicable to playing jazz on ukulele. With a uke chord book and a fretboard map, you're all set.
In fact, I find most ukulele-specific instruction books to be too basic and strummy, and it seems that 100% are for "high G" tuning.

Download a phrase learning app like "Anytune Pro", and use it to try transcribing an entire Ohta-San album, note for note. That's a full education in and of itself.

blab
05-23-2016, 03:16 AM
Mickey Baker's books, and any other guitar instructional books, are all directly applicable to playing jazz on ukulele.
I'm not so sure about the "directly". For ex. of the 25 cord shapes Mickey Baker introduces in Lesson 1 that use at least 4 strings, 11 would only be triads on the Ukulele. Others may be rootless. Of course you can translate all the chords but you'll never be sure how the harmonies were supposed to sound.

Not saying that it's impossible, just too complex for me.

Rllink
05-23-2016, 05:09 AM
By asking the question on this forum you're bound to see 100% "likes". It would be different if ,magically, you could get feedback from the general population that has tried ukes over the last 5 years or so........magically. But that also would apply to most any hobby/ sport, etc. Humans try stuff and get bored and move on. Now, having said all that, I personally, moi, myself have found my attachment to the uke has only grown and that's unusual. I like to try different things and usually I move on. So far the uke gets to be more a part of my life every day, bringing much joy.I wonder what percentage of people who buy a ukulele either lose interest after a few months or go on to something different before they really get the hang of playing it?

Croaky Keith
05-23-2016, 05:21 AM
I wonder what percentage of people who buy a ukulele either lose interest after a few months or go on to something different before they really get the hang of playing it?

It helps if you can find others with similar tastes. :)

Before I retired, I tried several instruments - & yes, gave up because I wasn't making the progress I had hoped for.

You have to be really determined to succeed, & a lot of people will not put in the necessary time, myself included.

But, now I have the time - & I have the Seasons to keep my interest going. :music:

TheCraftedCow
05-23-2016, 06:15 AM
It's to bad the question was not WHY do you still have a love for the uke It's also too bad that English does not use a different word for different kinds of LOVE. There is a strong emotional connection to a ukulele that was missing when playing guitar..mandolin..banjo..balalaika..any position of bass.. violin or mountain dulcimer. It seems to be the easiest of the stringed instruments to hand to someone else and give them some degree of success that they have not had before. Especially people who have never played anything before. It is an open door to a ministry to reach others physically, mentally, and spiritually. Success is as easy as 1 2 3. The first song is Jesus Loves Me with only 1 finger. Then I ask if the were places that what was played didn't sound right. The answer is always YES. Do you think perhaps you could try using two fingers? They smile and agree that they can do two fingers We do F (with the center and ring finger--C is with the little finger) Again is there anywhere that seems neither 1 or 2 fingered makes it sound right> Now it is 3 fingers, and they play it successfully. They have played the same song to where they can play it correctly. They have repeated it four times. We finish with one time through (first verse and chorus only).
The next time they pick up a ukulele, they only know one song. To me, the uke has both both earthly and eternal merit.

Rllink
05-23-2016, 06:29 AM
It helps if you can find others with similar tastes. :)

Before I retired, I tried several instruments - & yes, gave up because I wasn't making the progress I had hoped for.

You have to be really determined to succeed, & a lot of people will not put in the necessary time, myself included.

But, now I have the time - & I have the Seasons to keep my interest going. :music:
I agree with you, that playing with others is a huge benefit. But the ukulele can be used in a lot of different ways. A person can hide out in the basement and entertain themselves to their heart's content. Or a person can go out and play on the front porch for the whole neighborhood to enjoy. You can do a coffee shop gig with just one ukulele, a couple ukuleles, with your guitar playing friends, and a violin player, I mean, the combinations are endless. You can sing while you play, or not sing while you play. It is so versatile. You don't find that with say a trumpet, or a clarinet.

I also agree that you have to be determined. I think a lot of people think that it is going to be easy to play the ukulele. They learn a few chords, start playing some songs, and think that it is going to be easy. But then they soon realize things are starting to get harder. You see that in a lot of threads, where people say I can't play this chord or strum this way or that, I can't do this, I can't do that, then they want to know if there is an easier way. Most of the time the answer is no, there isn't an easier way, playing the ukulele isn't easy.

Steedy
05-23-2016, 06:30 AM
I still love my ukes, but lately I've been cheating on them with some guitars. In fact, I'm playing hooky from UWC this year, because I'm in a Bluegrass class that runs through mid-June. :(

Rllink
05-23-2016, 07:25 AM
I still love my ukes, but lately I've been cheating on them with some guitars. In fact, I'm playing hooky from UWC this year, because I'm in a Bluegrass class that runs through mid-June. :(
There is a bluegrass/ukulele combination festival close to St. Cloud, MN that same weekend. I think that I'm going up there to check that out. It looks like it has some interesting clinics and workshops.

Griffis
05-23-2016, 10:12 AM
I have come back around (double full circle?) to my love of ukulele. I would classify it as love. I have been making music since 1977, when I was 9. Drums, trumpet, sax early on...guitar soon after, bass (which was my main instrument for many years), keys...when I discovered old time music, I got into fiddle, banjo and mandolin for quite some time.

Around Summer of 2000 I was having problems with my hands and wrists that made me think I was going to have to give up playing stringed instruments.

My wife (a musician herself) suggested ukulele, thinking the shorter scale, nylon strings, fewer strings, etc. would be something I could handle even with my hand pain.

Right she was, and I spent the next three or four years playing uke almost exclusively. I got to be pretty decent and had a large repertoire of songs.

Well, I eventually got called back to rock and roll and spent a few years playing electric guitar and bass again.

I want to downsize my life and have come to the realization that owning a bunch of instruments may be cool, but all the electric gear and everything you have to do to hook up, set up, dial in and play is such a major pain.

Nothing can replace just grabbing an instrument and starting in playing.

Also, I am having hand troubles again, so i believe this move back to uke is permanent. I'm selling off all my electric gear. Back into ukes and loving it.

...My UAS seems to have quietened now too since I have somewhat settled the "size" question. The Black Bear soprano was almost like a bringer of peace...

I've never played a Black bear, but based on sound samples and all the pics I've seen, I think if I was going to go for a custom build, that's where I'd go.

...without an audience for dopey nursery rhymes or bouncy old Vaudeville tunes anymore, my uke repertoire is less relevant these days...

It IS relevant! I don't want to live in a world where goofy old Vaudeville songs are forgotten!

bonesigh
05-23-2016, 10:40 AM
Yes, yes, yes. Nine years and still growing strong. Yet I'm at the point where I might be able to let a few go that I never ever play. I still hate to though cuz they are all special.

Griffis
05-23-2016, 11:41 AM
Yes, yes, yes. Nine years and still growing strong. Yet I'm at the point where I might be able to let a few go that I never ever play. I still hate to though cuz they are all special.

I feel lucky in that my UAS (or really any "Fill-In-the-Blank" Acquisition Syndrome) is a thing of the past for me. I've already been through the instrument buy/sell/trade/collect merry-go-round/roller coaster and I am off that ride. For one thing, I never have spendy cash. For another, when my "want button" gets pushed, I just focus on playing what I have and try to be happy with it, knowing I don't "need" anything else.

When I first got into ukes in 2000, I quickly ended up with 15 of them. Now I honestly have no desire to own more than 2-3. Even that seems excessive to me at times.

This is not a judgement of anyone who wants to have hundreds of instruments--that's their personal business. It's just what works best for me. I want to concentrate on playing and improving and building a repertoire; not shopping and longing. I've been that route so often. For me, owning tons of stuff is more of a chore than a pleasure.

For one thing, I know what my preferred size is, know I'm not interested in, for instance, an A/E uke. I like banjo and resonator ukes, but not enough to feel the need to have one in my possession.

I have an old no-name soprano strung re-entrant (it needs some work) a baritone uke that was given to me (which is now my wife's instrument really) and a new inexpensive concert uke I just bought. I MAY end up with a second concert uke just because I like to have a backup of my "main" player in case something goes wrong...needs work, pops a string and I am out of replacements, etc. but I feel lucky that I've gotten to where "The Search" and desire for more and more ukes has waned. It works out better for me, my budget, my space and my wish to be able to move as freely through life and the world as possible without being weighted down by "things."

Trader Todd
05-23-2016, 03:09 PM
yes, Yes, YES! I've been playing over a year now and I just can't get enough. I've gone through various stages of guitar crazy, harmonica crazy and mandolin crazy but I've never had it this bad. That sound, that sweet acoustic tone coming from those nylon stings, I just can't get enough. Soprano, Tenor, Baritone and Banjo Uke, so many choices not enough time. Sometimes I feel like Johnny Appleseed, I just want to plant the uke seed in everybody I meet. That being said, something needs to be done about the dark side (UAS), some days I just can't help myself and fear I might be out in the street, homeless living in a mahogany, cedar and rosewood box - wait, that doesn't sound so bad...

arpie
05-23-2016, 06:15 PM
Yep - I pick up one of my ukes most days & am working on songs for my group most days, plus leading my group 2 days a week & doing gigs with them over 2-3 days a month!

I've met up with some fantastic people on my 6 year uke journey - buying my first uke in mid 2010 whilst my husband was going thru cancer surgery/chemo treatment. It helped keep me sane. Now Keith has his own uke - a 75th birthday present 5 years ago. He may only play a few chords, but he does it with gusto! I take it travelling with me and my 3 siblings now also play, so we have even 'more' in common .....

I can't imagine my life without it now!

cheers

Roberta

Uke Republic
05-25-2016, 06:53 AM
Yep - I pick up one of my ukes most days & am working on songs for my group most days, plus leading my group 2 days a week & doing gigs with them over 2-3 days a month!

I've met up with some fantastic people on my 6 year uke journey - buying my first uke in mid 2010 whilst my husband was going thru cancer surgery/chemo treatment. It helped keep me sane. Now Keith has his own uke - a 75th birthday present 5 years ago. He may only play a few chords, but he does it with gusto! I take it travelling with me and my 3 siblings now also play, so we have even 'more' in common .....

I can't imagine my life without it now!

cheers

Roberta

Thats fantastic!

gvelasco
05-25-2016, 07:10 AM
If I did not have long-standing prior commitments, I would sell all of my guitars and use the money to buy ukuleles. So, I guess I'm hooked.

molokinirum
05-25-2016, 08:04 AM
Oh yeah....just don't play it as much as before, been learning the guitar and slack key.

Raygf
05-25-2016, 08:13 AM
I love all of my ukuleles, high g, low G, soprano, concert, tenor and baritone. I have developed repertoire on them that will always be part of my playing.

Sanfe
05-25-2016, 10:30 AM
Sorta . . . I've been playing for over ten years now, before my kids were born. These days I play because I can, but there's no particular fire that keeps me going. I play when I see one. The good part I guess is that I taught my kids and wife enough that they play too, so sometimes we all get together and play, but I'm usually playing bass during these "jams."

I think I reached that point of "diminishing returns." I feel that I would have to practice A LOT to get noticeably better which is something I'm no longer willing to put the time into.

The good part about this slump is that I'm no longer ukulele hunting. I'm perfectly happy with the few I have.

sam13
05-25-2016, 02:08 PM
It is the only true instrument, after all.

Nickie
05-25-2016, 02:57 PM
I do. I can't put my Cocobolo Ukulele down, until I can't keep my eyes open.
I am always looking for opportunities to play with other ukers!

sculptor
05-25-2016, 08:14 PM
I been playing now for about 11 months. I enjoy the Ukulele but I can't say I love it. My hands are just too old to play it a lot without causing problems. I've never had the kind of coordination that lets me develop a high skill level at any instrument (what is referred to as chops.) However, if I keep it up long enough I'll probably develop good improvisation skills because in the past on another instrument I managed to do that.

2manistrings
05-26-2016, 01:40 PM
I've been playing uke for years, and usually the only uke I see is my own. I also play acoustic guitar, but not as long and not nearly as well. Songwriting with the uke is second nature, and I'm grateful for that. I don't often go days without playing, but if I do, I know I'll just pick up where I left off. If I did that with guitar, coming back would be more difficult. I also find the uke less intimidating than guitar, so that's helpful, at least on the uke side. :D

greyghost
05-27-2016, 05:57 AM
When I started playing the ukulele I owned 6 guitars. I'm now down to 2 guitars (which I only very rarely remove from their cases). The ukulele is what keeps me sane some days, and it has recently served as a form of physical therapy for me (in addition to its previous function as mental therapy), as I recover from some pretty major open-heart surgery. Thanks to UkeRepublic, from whom I purchased a sweet Ohana mahogany pineapple soprano just before the surgery. It's super-lightweight, so I was able to start playing it about a week after I got home from the hospital without worrying about the limits placed on me regarding movement and lifting! My tenors were too much for me, but this little soprano was perfect. Sorry for the long-winded response--the short answer is that the love affair continues, and has given me much peace of mind during a difficult time. And the OP sent me a sweet uke with an awesome setup for a very reasonable price!

bunnyf
05-27-2016, 07:46 AM
I AM still in love with the uke after about 5 years. Rarely does a day pass that I don't play and often I will play for several hours. I've reached a bit of a plateau but I guess I'm still improving. I participate in some groups and that helps motivate me to learn new things. But even if I never get much better, I enjoy playing and singing tremendously, even if it's just for my OWN entertainment. I am never bored with it. I have settled into a place where I no longer really have UAS. I've settled on the sizes that I like to play (soprano and Bari) and thinned the herd of ukes that didn't suit me. I'm making better friends with the ukes I kept (a perfectly nice Pono Bari and a LoPrinzi sop) and no longer lusting after "better" ukes. While I still get occasionally tempted, I have come to accept that I will not sound significantly better or play easier on another instrument so it's "love the one you're with" for me. Concentrating on just playing is a good place for me and I think I'm enjoying ukulele more than ever.

Luckylibby
05-27-2016, 11:42 AM
No.

Oh,bloody hell...10 ...No.

fretie
05-27-2016, 04:12 PM
Yup!

It's a regular part if my life to play ukulele..kind of like eating, sleeping, getting exercise...
I play Friday mornings with a super fun uke circle in nearby Steveston and Thursday evenings with the Ruby Ukes orchestra. Yeah, it's a significant other in my life.

NewKid
05-27-2016, 04:17 PM
Last November I bought a great mandolin and I no longer play my wonderful ukes including my LFDM, Kinnard, Boat Paddle or vintage Martin soprano. Maybe that will change in the future but it's been six months of virtually no ukulele. I still love my ukes but right now they are all out of commission.

Griffis
05-27-2016, 05:45 PM
I AM still in love with the uke after about 5 years. Rarely does a day pass that I don't play and often I will play for several hours. I've reached a bit of a plateau but I guess I'm still improving. I participate in some groups and that helps motivate me to learn new things. But even if I never get much better, I enjoy playing and singing tremendously, even if it's just for my OWN entertainment. I am never bored with it. I have settled into a place where I no longer really have UAS. I've settled on the sizes that I like to play (soprano and Bari) and thinned the herd of ukes that didn't suit me. I'm making better friends with the ukes I kept (a perfectly nice Pono Bari and a LoPrinzi sop) and no longer lusting after "better" ukes. While I still get occasionally tempted, I have come to accept that I will not sound significantly better or play easier on another instrument so it's "love the one you're with" for me. Concentrating on just playing is a good place for me and I think I'm enjoying ukulele more than ever.

This post really resonated with me, although I'm coming off a lengthy uke hiatus (during which time I was playing bass and guitar.)

So, I haven't devoted as much time to regaining my chops and relearning songs as I should have yet, but otherwise that sounds a lot like me.

Joyful Uke
05-28-2016, 10:12 AM
I wasn't in love with ukulele when I started. A friend kept talking about ukuleles, and we both needed distractions from real life, (for different reasons, but difficult times for both of us), so I got 2 cheap ukuleles, and hoped that at least my friend would enjoy it. I had no idea what to play, didn't think I was interested in ukulele music, and realized, too late, that the cheap ukulele I bought had terrible intonation, which I hated.

Fast forward to the present: My friend has given up on ukulele, but I've fallen in love with it. It wasn't love at first sight, for sure, but it's something that is bringing enjoyment and more to my days. I'm even spending time on sites like musictheory.net to learn to read music, work on ear training, and so on, and find that fun, too. Who knew? I didn't, but am glad that I stumbled down this path.

Tunguy
05-30-2016, 08:59 AM
Just love the Uke.Played in the military band ( euphonium) so could read a bit of music.Went to med school and engrossed in my career and susequent specialization.Always said that I would one day play the piano, but it is a HUGE commitment.Tried the trumpet but it is noisy and not really relaxing.
A year ago, I walked into a music shop and ( since I had been told that my late Dad played the ukulele), I asked the attendant if I could see her Ukuleles ( I had absolutely NO IDEA what a uke even looked like! ) I had no knowledge whatsoever about stringed instruments. The Uke's she showed me all looked like toys but I settled for a Concert Washburn , learned a few chords and within an hour was strumming to Tom Dooley!
Have since bought a mahogany Kala and ( I think) am doing very well.I play at least 20 mins EVERY day- it has changed my life.Will try to learn as much as I can ( mostly Youtube training videos/ courses)

70sSanO
05-31-2016, 09:30 AM
Last November I bought a great mandolin and I no longer play my wonderful ukes including my LFDM, Kinnard, Boat Paddle or vintage Martin soprano. Maybe that will change in the future but it's been six months of virtually no ukulele. I still love my ukes but right now they are all out of commission.

Let me know when you are going to have a garage sale... LOL

John

70sSanO
05-31-2016, 09:48 AM
But back to the question at hand...

I play one of my ukes almost everyday, or at least a few times a week. But it is hard to say love, or hate, but bored... that may be an appropriate word at times. Unless someone is playing out, and even then the same songs can become a rut, it is easy to just rattle off the same songs in some rote approach. It is fun, but it is far from any definition of love.

Then there are those creative times... new material or finishing up a song that has been in the works for a while. Those are the times when things sound fresh and even the old stuff sounds better. It is during those times when the ukulele can reach that love stage. But as the honeymoon with that new song begins to wain...

I'll never be able to understand how someone like Eddie Money can just keep doing Two Tickets to Paradise at venues from a backyard barbeque to a front yard block party. I would probably go nuts.

John

Teek
05-31-2016, 09:52 PM
No. I'm still in like though. I have some gems that I'm super attached to. I'm in love with my guitars! The deeper resonance just goes to a soul level. I can't play them much better than my ukes, but they give me more pleasure. I go through periodic espisodes of inflammation that make me stiff and sore; back, hips, knees and hands so then I may pick up a uke, but I prefer the guitars.

Sven-Uke
05-31-2016, 10:28 PM
Yep, still deeply in love for more than 5 years.
It's like having a new best friend.

spongeuke
11-08-2016, 07:15 AM
I'll never be able to understand how someone like Eddie Money can just keep doing Two Tickets to Paradise at venues from a backyard barbeque to a front yard block party. I would probably go nuts.
Money can't buy you LOVE

igorthebarbarian
11-08-2016, 08:07 AM
I have recently started playing with the Sun Lakes uke group (every other Sunday) - and that has sort of rekindled my love of the ukulele. It's fun playing with others and gives me something to look forward to. Also, as we all know, ukulele people are generally really nice and friendly and welcoming. It's not too intimidating for newbies. I was very hesitant at first to get out of the apartment but it's been really good. And I am by no means a good player!

hal1001
11-09-2016, 03:26 AM
I've been playing ukulele for years and I'm surrounded by ukuleles in our shop everyday but even on my days off I'm picking up ukulele. So I'd say I'm still in love with ukulele! Maybe obsessed :D
How about you?

I've only been playing for a few months, so I'm probably still inside the honeymoon period. Anyway, it's a wonderful instrument: I like it's sound and I like its portable size and the way its played.

Maybe I'm also a bit obsessed with my ukulele.

CeeJay
11-09-2016, 03:56 AM
No.............

sam13
11-09-2016, 05:19 AM
Madly. Truly. Deeply.

SoloRule
11-09-2016, 05:37 AM
I bought a small guitar (Mini R) just to confirm that I prefer Ukulele MORE!!
Why? Because I can achieve more on a four strings than six. That made me very very happy.
Yes still loving every minute of my uke time.

Mivo
11-09-2016, 05:54 AM
I bought a small guitar (Mini R) just to confirm that I prefer Ukulele MORE!!
Why? Because I can achieve more on a four strings than six. That made me very very happy.

This happened with me and the guitarlele. I'm a bit saddened that it didn't work out, but also relieved in a way. That would have been a way that would inevitably have led to GAS.

SoloRule
11-10-2016, 02:29 AM
This happened with me and the guitarlele. I'm a bit saddened that it didn't work out, but also relieved in a way. That would have been a way that would inevitably have led to GAS.

There is something about guitar that made me give up very easily the moment I see a challenging chords!
With ukulele I am more willing to keep trying until I get it right! My experience tells me nothing is too difficult on a four strings! I seem to be OK to overcome the challenges much better and faster on uke

katysax
11-10-2016, 04:58 AM
No. I've never been in "love" with ukuleles or ukulele playing. I do like it; I've played ukulele for 18 years. What I do "love" is playing music and playing music with others. I enjoy that there are four strings on ukulele and I can do a lot more with it than I can with the guitar because four strings are freeing to me. However, I have found that playing ukulele causes pain in my left hand, and I have to ration my playing. About 3 years ago I started playing the U-Bass with ukulele groups, and in the group context I enjoy the bass more. I rarely play the bass or practice it at home, and I rarely play the uke with a group.

Because the bass involves one note at a time I find that it causes less stress on my hand. Now that I am retired I am playing bass regularly with three different ukulele groups. I probably would not be in so many groups (or even any) if I had to play the ukulele. Much as I enjoy playing uke, I think sitting in a group with just ukes playing boom chukka chords to a bunch of easy songs is boring. By adding the bass, which is a challenge for me, it also adds to the musicality of the experience.

I guess I "like" the uke and "love" the ubass.

bariukish
11-10-2016, 05:38 AM
A resounding YES! My bride and I pretty much gave up on progressing on guitars about 5 years ago and turned to ukuleles. They have definitely filled a large hole in our retired lives. Learning is a life long process and we continue to search for new strumming and picking techniques to add to our enjoyment. While not given an abundance of natural musical talent by mother nature, we have started to feel like we are making music instead of just noise. We play and sing together almost every day and plan to do so as long as we can. Great "therapy" for sure.

Uk3player78
11-10-2016, 06:47 AM
I would say yes I do. I always know when I go beyond beating myself up about learning something and just close my eyes, enjoy playing and hearing what comes out of that little sound box.

I have been playing ukulele for 5 years. I stopped for a year and sold them all and concentrated on guitar which I have played since my teens. I returned and never left, I know I will play till I can't play anymore. Sometimes instruments have a stop start before they stick.

Before guitar I played keyboard but I sold it and never returned so I could concentrate fully on guitar. To be honest if it wasn't for the history I have in guitar I would sell it and put the money toward a really good soprano. Also my acoustic is a rare model so... I sold off my electric guitar so there is just the one guitar in the house.

As far as buying and selling goes I doubt I'll spend on a better ukulele than what I have. I prefer the concert size and as I said maybe a decent soprano will happen but no rush. I really think the Koaloha KCM 00 is one of the best sounding instruments I've ever had and that's with owning fender American standard strats, Gibson les Paul's, Taylor acoustics, Martin acoustics like the D28, HD28, 00028EC etc. I realise it's a different instrument but assessing sound, feel and build etc and judging from there it's a truly stunning instrument.

I tried to have a go on the acoustic guitar this morning after my night shift in the pre sleep ukulele time slot. Hardly 5 minutes and the ukulele was back in focus. ;)

bnolsen
11-10-2016, 05:40 PM
I bought a mini-r used very early this year. The cordoba minis are seriously good. The problem is that my patience isn't so great. My oldest daughter has gotten some use out of it thankfully.

For the past couple of months I've been playing reed instruments. I had a used alto sax sitting in a nice case for a some years. I finally decided to get more serious about that and have been learning on it, hoping to get good enough soon to join a community band.

But I always still pick up and play my ukes as a way to relax and unwind. Ukes are just fun to play.