NUD Squeeee!

Inkdork

Reaction score
So yesterday I got in the mail a kit to build your own concert ukulele. Basically it had body, neck, fretboard, tuners, bridge, nut, assorted hardware in the box and I paid $40 for it off of eBay because I thought it would be fun to paint and put together.

I didn't do anything fancy with the paint, but I like how it turned out. I'm still pretty new to ukuleles and this was the first time I've strung one, but it turned out to be easy.. . After I realized I had incorporated extra pieces that actually made it impossible to string. Doh!

I got it in tune but haven't tried playing it yet.

The uke on the stand is my tenor. Guess I'll have to build another stand too. :) IMG_20160522_132910601.jpgIMG_20160522_132858858.jpg IMG_20160522_150006012_HDR.jpgIMG_20160522_145958917.jpg

Edited to add new photos. Had a change of heart on the paint job and decided to zombie it up a bit!

Last edited:
Thanks! It's not fancy but I'm still excited about it and I loved that I got to paint it however I wanted. Turquoise red and black are my favorite colors. :)

Thanks Campbell!

I'm noticing the new one is very loud compared to my tenor. That will take some getting used to. Could that be because the new one is solid and my tenor is laminate?

There are many factors that influence the volume of the instrument, generally it will be related to the thickness of materials used in the body and the internal bracing. It sounds like you've got a little beauty!

I built a similar kit although it was a soprano. It is not a good player but I learned a lot from the process. I use it as my autograph Uke. Overall it was a good experience.

I built a similar kit although it was a soprano. It is not a good player but I learned a lot from the process. I use it as my autograph Uke. Overall it was a good experience.

I wasn't expecting it to sound amazing... but I thought it would make a nice fun little project and it is. And I had so much fun painting it and putting it together. :)

Top Bottom