fingerboard width for fingerpickers

I like my necks with the nut width of 35-38mm, but even MORE important to me is the string-to-string spacing at the saddle - I really need a MINIMUM of 13mm between strings at the saddle, or I cannot get my fingers in-between when my nails are shorter, whether I play closer to the bridge, the soundhole or the 12th fret....for a G-to-A spread width of no less than 42.5mm.

FYI, I'm playing mostly tenor, and Fluke and Flea ukes have these specifications (I have a few :))

The above is comfortable to me for both fingerpicking AND strumming, and the occasional (clumsy) attempts at clawhammer

:music:

islander....have 1.5" wide nut which makes my wide fingertips happy. once i got my islander it helped me play the narrower more standard necks a bit better.

Last edited:
I'm not picky, I can get used to anything eventually.

But my favorite, my Kiwaya KTS-7 soprano is 36mm at the nut, 45mm at the body, which seems quite roomy to me.

Like most, I can get used to anything. But for me, it's not just width but overall shape that matters. My favorite shape/width so far (having owned over three dozen Ukes and played many others) is the Collings shape/width.

Thanks for the input guys! Building my first uke and learning a lot! Any thoughts on neck radius? I like 'em flat like a flamenco guitar but wouldn't know how to express that in measurements

you'll get a lot of opinions on this as we all have different hands. i find the string spacing at the saddle important also, needing something like 1 3/4" across the strings at the saddle. i'd like to be particular about the nut and go with 1.5", but have no trouble playing 1 3/8", and it's easy to source pre made nuts inexpensively.
i've given away a mainland tenor that played well, but was very narrow at the saddle. it would have been a good strummer's instrument. the whole buying of my first number of ukes has convinced me to set up for making them. whatever you are not satisfied with current offerings can be taken care of. my main issue is preferring a thick neck. this couldn't even be properly ordered from a custom builder. i would guess to like a 7/8" thick neck including the finger board, but won't know until i feel it in my hands,, solution,, make it a quarter inch heavy and slowly take it down.
give some thought to your soundboard and bracing pattern as this will make the instrument.

Top Bottom