Acoustic vs Amplified

DownUpDave

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
There was a thread titled "Electric Uke Advise Please" by "plucky". He had asked about electric ukes and or having a pick up installed in an acoustic uke so he could change the tone. He mentioned he wanted to make it more mellow. There was some great answers and a lot of very useful information.

It got me thinking that a number of members might not have been exposed to an acoustic uke plugged into an amp and how you can change or colour the sound.

Here is a very simple example of that. The uke is a LfdM low G tenor, pick up is a LR Baggs 5.0 the amp is a Fishman loudbox mini. I recorded this straight into my phone with a Zoom Hn2 recorder plugged in as an external mic, it's raw and unedited.

As a side note this combo amped reproduces the natural acoustic sound very accurately. The Fishman amp has a really clean true sound and the LR Baggs pick up is as good as an undersaddle pickup gets.

https://app.box.com/s/hkja08cmncjnt4xt1qtnt5uuimfi2khy

Last edited:
Thanks, DUD, that was a useful demonstration. I have a LR Baggs pickup in one of my ukes. I have a crap amp though, that I picked up used. I need to get a decent acoustic amp next.

My Mainland has a MiSi pickup. I plug it in quite often, but I don't always play it clean. I'm not looking for the pure ukulele sound. I like to add effects. I like to play sixties and seventies rock and I have a lot of fun with a modeling amp. None of my amps are high dollar acoustic outfits, so I don't think I am actually getting a clean sound from any of them. But that is okay with me because that isn't what I am doing.

Last edited:
Nice comparison! Really good sounding pickup.

Thanks, DUD, that was a useful demonstration. I have a LR Baggs pickup in one of my ukes. I have a crap amp though, that I picked up used. I need to get a decent acoustic amp next.

In my ignorance I had just assumed amps all sounded good until I plugged into something else. I've a Pono baritone with Misi pick up that sounds great and very natural through the Fishman loudbox mini. But through another persons cheap amp it sounded on the crappy side.

Last edited:
Top Bottom