WTB - Entry level A/E Tenor

WeaserP

Reaction score
Beginner looking for a used electric tenor in the $150-$175 range. Hoping for decent (entry level) build but also understanding that sometimes you get what you pay for as well. Been looking at Gretsch, Kala and a couple of others in that range. Opinions, thoughts and comments welcomed here as well.

Thanks all!

Weas

a good pick up is in the $150-175 range. In my experience the pick ups in the Kalas / lanikai leave a lot to be desired. better to get the uke you want and install one yourself. you may gett lucky and find a good used one with a decent pick up though, happy hunting.

Was considering that as well, SS, but do appreciate the thought. (And here I go hijacking my own thread) What would you consider to be a decent, albeit entry level, pickup?

a good pick up is in the $150-175 range. In my experience the pick ups in the Kalas / lanikai leave a lot to be desired. better to get the uke you want and install one yourself. you may gett lucky and find a good used one with a decent pick up though, happy hunting.

Not necessarily strumsilly if you know where to shop.

This pickup unit is $6.80
www.ebay.com/itm/331610291574

But it is sometimes sold under famous brandnames for $99.

I do agree that the generic active pickups that come stock on Kalas, Lanikai, Luna and other inexpensive A/E instruments are disappointing.
I have owned many of them.

However, I have found that the problem is more to do with the bad quality undersaddle unit they use, while the onboard active preamp is actually usable.

The solution?
Buy one of those undersaddles, remove the existing undersaddle piezo from the ukulele, and replace it with the purchased Artec unit.
It will convert the cheap A/E ukulele into one that can rival the more expensive pickup systems that cost $100-200.

The replacing procedure is usually quite simple...
-loosen strings
-remove saddle
-unscrew screws of onboard preamp
-unplug existing piezo and remove from under the saddle by pulling it out
-install new undersaddle - the plug is universal between the Artec and the generic "Belcat" style onboard preamps.

If you're unlucky, the Artec undersaddle piezo may not immediately fit into the ukulele, in which case some minor woodworking may be needed (mostly filing with a needle file).

All these ukulele companies have to do is realise that the bad undersaddle units that they use ruin the whole instrument.
They are never balanced nor have a great tone, which kinda defeats the purpose of paying for an A/E.
A simple solution as replacing the undersaddle to a more reliable one like the inexpensive Artec makes such a huge difference.
But I suppose when it comes to mass-production, they must save a lot of money to opt for the lower quality piezos.

Last edited:
I have one for sale. See the link in my signature and PM me if you're interested. The uke itself plays well, great setup from Mim, and sounds pretty good for what it is. In all honesty, the pickup is not the best, but it does work perfectly well. It's just a little noisier and picks up handling noise a little more than I'd like for recording. Playing live this is a little less of an issue.

This pickup unit is $6.80
www.ebay.com/itm/331610291574

---snip---

Buy one of those undersaddles, remove the existing undersaddle piezo from the ukulele, and replace it with the purchased Artec unit.
It will convert the cheap A/E ukulele into one that can rival the more expensive pickup systems that cost $100-200.

I've installed a handful of the inexpensive preamps like the ones that come with mass production ukes. I've done exactly as described above and substituted the piezo element with one of the Artecs or similar with excellent results.
One of my ukes just has the Artec piezo with no on board preamp and I get very good results with that one too; often run it through a Behringer AD21 but not always.

I've installed a handful of the inexpensive preamps like the ones that come with mass production ukes. I've done exactly as described above and substituted the piezo element with one of the Artecs or similar with excellent results.
One of my ukes just has the Artec piezo with no on board preamp and I get very good results with that one too; often run it through a Behringer AD21 but not always.

That is the same experience I have had! These Artec undersaddles are very good - they're the same kind used in Ovation A/E guitars and ukuleles.

In fact, if one was to purchase a cheap acoustic-electric like the Caramel:
http://www.amazon.com/Caramel-CT300...4146450&sr=8-7&keywords=Caramel+ukulele+tenor

And replace the undersaddle unit with the Artec, you would end up with a great quality instrument that rivals ones that cost double or triple its price.
(It may also need a good setup)

All great stuff, people. Much appreciated. Jim, I'll definitely be considering the Ohana you have up. I have not considered a Caramel, Choirguy, but have been looking at the Kala's, Keith.

You're all cementing the reasons why I came here (after lurking for a while), everyone. Great information.

Off topic a bit but...
I have a Caramel Tenor and wondered if an Artec p/u would change it's sound? Acoustically it is not as 'chimy' as my other tenor. In all other respects it is very nice to play has good projection and intonation, but it doesn't have the "It" factor, of my travel tenor. I don't generally play electric, but maybe the CT-100 might sound better?

I have tried a couple of different string sets, mostly F-Carbon types, do you think Nylon types might have a different 'ring' to them?

An Artec undersaddle will improve the electric tone of the cheap unit in the Caramel.

The thing to look out for is whether the dimensions of the artec pickup will it snugly in the saddle slot of the Caramel

Hmm, now I'm reconsidering if I want to pick up a little nicer acoustic-only uke and install an Artec pickup as opposed to buying an a/e. Are saddle slots somewhat standard or are do they vary widely?

or..............get a Kala from Amazon (be sure Amazon is the seller or the seller has a reasonable return policy). Try it. If you don't like it, send it back.

Width and length are fairly likely to fit. But that Artec pickup is about 3mm thick. And it is unlikely that the saddle slot is deep enough that you can simply shave 3mm off the bottom of the saddle to make room. So you will probably have to route the saddle slot deeper to make room for the pickup.

Hmm, now I'm reconsidering if I want to pick up a little nicer acoustic-only uke and install an Artec pickup as opposed to buying an a/e. Are saddle slots somewhat standard or are do they vary widely?

Ok, that's giving me third thoughts. I'm a long time guitar player who does some basic work on my guits but I've never pulled out a router and I'm not sure that I want to start practicing on my first uke.

Ok, that's giving me third thoughts. I'm a long time guitar player who does some basic work on my guits but I've never pulled out a router and I'm not sure that I want to start practicing on my first uke.
It really depends on the uke. You may only have to shave the saddle.

So far I've been able to do it by shaving the saddle. I'm able to route out the slot if necessary but haven't had to do it.

Top Bottom