Music stand advice:

JJFN

Reaction score
To make a long story short, I am finally going to have to break down and buy a music stand. I saw a pretty cheap one (under $10) at Musician's Friend. That seems almost too cheap to me. Any suggestions?

Some things are too good to be true, LOL. Maybe it's a good one that they are using for a loss leader. But few things are more frustrating than a music stand that is not stable. I think I paid about $50 for the one I bought, if I recall correctly. Factors to consider:

-- will you transport and use? If so, you might want one with a carrying tote
-- personally, I much prefer the ones with a solid tray for the music, vs. one that is a few bars, but it is heavier
-- stability, are the legs beefy enough to provide stability

Others will likely had additional things to consider.

The first couple years I played I went through an average of one "cheap" music stand every three months. After 3 or 4 of these, they aren't such a bargain. What I should have bought in the first place is the one I have now: the Hercules BS100B, which I've had and abused for over 3 years and it's still going strong. I've also been impressed with the Peak stands that have a solid desk rather than bars.

Also look at the Portastands, which are made locally (to me) in Stllwater, MN.

If money was no object, I would recommend a 12" iPad Pro, Air Turn foot pedal, and a Gig Easy tablet mount. I don't have the iPad Pro yet (waiting for the refresh while I still have my iPad Air 2), but this combination is pretty wonderful and backlit.

Are all of their stands really made in USA? I couldn't find that info on their site but I might be missing it, so if you could point me that way I'd appreciate it. Otherwise I'll shoot them an email to confirm. If it's true, that's my next stand!

If money was no object, I would recommend a 12" iPad Pro, Air Turn foot pedal, and a Gig Easy tablet mount. I don't have the iPad Pro yet (waiting for the refresh while I still have my iPad Air 2), but this combination is pretty wonderful and backlit.

I tend to be "tech savvy" generally, but when it comes to music I like print outs in protective sheets in a binder. ;-) I LOVE the idea, but simply could not get used to the iPad / AirTurn footpedal thing. I know others love it, but it did not work for me.

Cheap stands are such crap. If you really need one, spend the money on a quality one that won't blow over the first time a good breeze comes by. Look up the Proline GMS80A. Very heavy duty and sturdy stand that can easily hold both individual sheets and thick books.

I think the Cordoba stand is very good, I have two, one I modified to fit my rolling cart. They are one piece, fold up very well, have good extension arms and are very stable. I got them at Guitar Center around $40.

My "budget-price" stand has proved reasonably adequate ... maybe a little unstable with a lap-top computer being used as a tablet on it!!

Two things to look out for :

1) - Overall height adjustment - will it go high enough to enable you to read whilst standing up and will it go low enough to enable you to read comfortably whilst playing in your "favourite place".

2) - Make sure it's got those little arms that fold over to hold the pages of a book open (or stop sheet music blowing away).

Enjoy :)

I prefer the metal-plate ones to the foldable ones, but they are a bit more expensive and much less transportable (the foot itself collapses, the metal plate doesn't).

The tip about the little arms is a very good one - paper always tends to drop down, blow away, fold in half and it usually waits for the precise moment to do so. On a metal-plate one, buy some small magnets!

If you use a microphone stand, there are trays that can be attached to those. I find that reducing your footprint - at a jam, on a stage or in a classroom - is always a good thing.

one more thing... some music stands have narrow shelves... too narrow to carry a heavy songbook
or 3-ring binder.

If you are able to test it out before buying, take what you'll be putting on the stand to make sure
it will hold it securely... and check stability, in case you may be playing outdoors in windy conditions.

sturdier stands will weigh more (Peak looks like a good, sturdy, plastic stand) and be a bit bulkier to
tote around, but it will provide more stability for your uses, and, as noted above, an unstable stand
is practically worthless.

keep uke'in',

The Peak stand for $35. bucks is what I ended up with over 5 years ago and the only thing that shows wear is the case it came in. So, my thumbs up for it. It can hold a telephone book and not get blown over on a windy day.

Last edited:
The Peak stand for $35. bucks is what I ended up with over 5 years ago and the only thing that shows wear is the case it came in. So, my thumbs up for it. It can hold a telephone book and not get blown over on a windy day.
This is the stand i bought. My music is in song books, sheet music and loose leaf books, so I think this should work. Thanks for the help.

The first couple years I played I went through an average of one "cheap" music stand every three months. After 3 or 4 of these, they aren't such a bargain. What I should have bought in the first place is the one I have now: the Hercules BS100B, which I've had and abused for over 3 years and it's still going strong. I've also been impressed with the Peak stands that have a solid desk rather than bars.
I went for the Peak stand, 34.95, looks like it should do the job. I music is in music books, sheet music and loose leaf books, so I need that solid desk. Thank you for your help.

Top Bottom