FS: Kiwaya KTC-2 Concert Ukulele with HS Case

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Mullins

Reaction score
SOLD: Kiwaya KTC-2 Concert Ukulele. Solid mahogany neck and body with rosewood fingerboard. Gotoh nickel-plated friction tuners. 14 frets to the body, 19 frets in all. Single dots at frets 5, 10 and 15. Double dots at frets 7 and 12. Side position dots at each of the above. Made in Japan by Shinji Takahashi with impeccable feather-light construction. Gloss lacquer finish. Hand-numbered Kiwaya label inside and stamp at rear of peghead. Compensated bridge saddle. In excellent condition. Comes with a Kamaka Concert-size wooden hard-shell case, also in excellent condition. I only play tenor scale instruments now or I would not be selling this one. $775 OBO, plus actual USPS insured shipping. US sales only, please.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

Last edited:
These are fantastic ukes!! Excellent tone and playability, and a (too-rarely seen) light construction.

Couple of questions: Are the Gotoh tuners geared? What is the implication of the "light construction"? Is the wood thinner? Is there less internal bracing? Does this make the instrument more fragile or more likely to crown and/or bow because of string tension?

I am looking for a nice concert and since I live near you, I may be interested in visiting to try it out pending your reply.

Thanks

I am the proud owner of a solid mahogany Kiwaya soprano, with similarities of the particular concert uke for sale. Next to several customs, it is by far my favorite uke in terms of playability and dynamic range. The light construction is truly impeccable, and the bracing does not compromise the integrity of the top whatsoever. I've had my Kiwaya for over 2 years, and with proper humidification there's no evidence of dishing at all. I do however have dishing(crowning) with some of my other "custom" soprano's. This is known to be common with lightly built instruments, but does not affect playability or intonation in any way. As far as the tuning pegs go, the stock gotoh's are friction pegs. They work very well, however more precise planetary tuners can easily be installed for about $60. Bottom line, I would not hesitate a minute in purchasing a Kiwaya. One will not be disappointed!

Last edited:
Couple of questions: Are the Gotoh tuners geared? What is the implication of the "light construction"? Is the wood thinner? Is there less internal bracing? Does this make the instrument more fragile or more likely to crown and/or bow because of string tension?

I am looking for a nice concert and since I live near you, I may be interested in visiting to try it out pending your reply.

Thanks

Hi Grey Wing,

The tuners are ungeared. And I think Earnie and jksk8in said it for me -- the Kiwaya being lightly built is a good thing, like the vintage Martins. Its a sign of the elegant way they are built. Send me a PM if you would like to check it out in person.

Tim, I only play tenors and baritones now, but back when I also played concerts I searched all over for a used KTC-2. I had a 1 and thought a 2 would be the perfect mahog uke. Now I think their tenor would be, but they are pretty scarce so I settled for a Collings mahog tenor. If you are on the fence, these are great ukes with that Martin sound and look, only newer with no vintage issues. The Collings ain't bad though.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom