A few questions for 6 string uke players\owners

Captain Simian

Reaction score
1. Have any of you experimented with replacing the high G with a low G? Any sound samples with the low G?

2. The Worth Clear strings on my Ohana 6er are too light for my tastes. Can anyone recommend a heavier set?

3. Have any of you combined sets to make a 6 string set e.g. 2 sets of Fremont tenor strings, 2 sets of Aquila Super Nylguts, etc.

Thanks!

Yes I have just got a 6 tenor strings recently. A Kala first price for testing if I would like to buy a Kamaka Lili'u.
I have changed the high g for a low g and I like it very much, that gives a mellow sound, good for my playing, strum steady beat.
I don't think that good for picking.

Sorry for my bad english but hope you understand.

When I had my mya moe 6er I used either a six string set from them or a set from Southcoast Strings. Both sets were good.

Aren't there two kinds of six string ukuleles now? One runs a couple of strings doubled, and the other runs six singles. Is there an established vocabulary which is used to tell the difference?

Aren't there two kinds of six string ukuleles now? One runs a couple of strings doubled, and the other runs six singles. Is there an established vocabulary which is used to tell the difference?

AFAIK, 'guitalele' (or whichever is the preferred/correct spelling) refers to the 6 string uke where is it tuned like a guitar capo'd at the 5th fret. The "Lili'u" which has courses of strings doubling the C and A strings. Some information here: https://sites.google.com/site/ukulelemakers/uke-glossary/liliu

No, but I use the low c as the 5th string when many use it as the 4th.

Top Bottom