PDA

View Full Version : A few questions for 6 string uke players\owners

Captain Simian
05-26-2016, 02:50 PM
1. Have any of you experimented with replacing the high G with a low G? Any sound samples with the low G?

2. The Worth Clear strings on my Ohana 6er are too light for my tastes. Can anyone recommend a heavier set?

3. Have any of you combined sets to make a 6 string set e.g. 2 sets of Fremont tenor strings, 2 sets of Aquila Super Nylguts, etc.

Thanks!

Domiuke
05-26-2016, 07:39 PM
Yes I have just got a 6 tenor strings recently. A Kala first price for testing if I would like to buy a Kamaka Lili'u.
I have changed the high g for a low g and I like it very much, that gives a mellow sound, good for my playing, strum steady beat.
I don't think that good for picking.

Sorry for my bad english but hope you understand.

hollisdwyer
05-27-2016, 12:53 AM
When I had my mya moe 6er I used either a six string set from them or a set from Southcoast Strings. Both sets were good.

TheCraftedCow
05-27-2016, 02:04 PM
Aren't there two kinds of six string ukuleles now? One runs a couple of strings doubled, and the other runs six singles. Is there an established vocabulary which is used to tell the difference?

farmerjones
05-27-2016, 03:16 PM
Aren't there two kinds of six string ukuleles now? One runs a couple of strings doubled, and the other runs six singles. Is there an established vocabulary which is used to tell the difference?

AFAIK, 'guitalele' (or whichever is the preferred/correct spelling) refers to the 6 string uke where is it tuned like a guitar capo'd at the 5th fret. The "Lili'u" which has courses of strings doubling the C and A strings. Some information here: https://sites.google.com/site/ukulelemakers/uke-glossary/liliu

PhilUSAFRet
05-27-2016, 03:29 PM
No, but I use the low c as the 5th string when many use it as the 4th.