Lakota straps wow!

bunnyf

Reaction score
I just got a new strap for my Pono Bari and have to rave about it. I had been bothered a lot by head drop and this Lakota strap has cured it. Other straps were slippery and a little scratchy and I never like the adjustable buckles banging into my uke.
I started looking for something better. I wound up having a fancy leather strap made and it looked great and stopped the head drop, but it was a little stiff and I didn't find the braiding to be that comfortable. I'm sure it will soften over time and I will try conditioning it. I'll repurpose it to my soprano after I work on softening it.
Anyway, I read good things about the Lakota strap. They are made by the Lakota tribe in AZ and are made from super strong but also super soft bison leather. No conditioning needed. Rolls up easy to fit in your case. Right out of the box, it is completely soft and comfy. Wonderful product and a good cause, supporting a small reservation based company.

They sure look nice. I also don't like straps with buckles that bang the instrument, so I got the same style strap with the slots for adjusting size. I like a narrower strap and I found 1 1/2" from Levy Leathers, not too stiff with a rough finish inside that stops head drop, about $18 and a variety of colors

They sure look nice. I also don't like straps with buckles that bang the instrument, so I got the same style strap with the slots for adjusting size. I like a narrower strap and I found 1 1/2" from Levy Leathers, not too stiff with a rough finish inside that stops head drop, about $18 and a variety of colors

Mike, it's a shame you can't feel them. They are incredibly soft but not flimsy.

What size do you use? I don't see any listed for ukuleles, just guitars, banjos and mandolins.

FYI...Lakota is not in AZ, Lakota leathers are out of Tennessee and the Lakota tribe is a Great Plains area tribe, nothing to do with AZ.

Just checked out their web site. I might have to give them a try!

Each Lakota Leathers strap is assembled on the Pine Ridge Lakota Sioux Indian reservation in South Dakota, USA. Pine Ridge has the undesirable distinction of being the poorest county in the entire United States. The purchase of any Lakota Leathers strap not only gives you the ultimate quality, but helps provide income for people on the reservation. Truly a 'cottage' industry, Lakota Leathers straps are assembled in living rooms and on kitchen tables of the people who make these wonderful straps.

We use only native leathers which have been used by the Lakota people for milenia. Bison (American buffalo) and Elk are our leathers of choice.​

It's the only strap I use, when I use one. Mine is 3/4"x50". It's very, very soft and supple and the back is suede, which keeps it from slipping around against my back. It feels like you could roll it into a ball a million times and it would look the exact same. It they made a jacket out of this leather, it would cost $2,000 USD.

My local shop carries them so I got to compare them to about 50 other straps of all varieties. It was the softest and nicest. I paid $35. Which isn't especially cheap for a strap, but it's the only one I'll ever need. And knowing it came from the Lakota tribe, in the poorest county in the United States, I think it was money well-spent.

Thanks for posting this! Next time I need a strap, I'm getting it there!

How does it compare to your Bailey strap? Looks great!

There is a technique called "bordering". The leather is bent U for the entire length, and the pressure is applied at the bend point. It is done with the good side facing toward the other good side. After a couple of times, even thick strap weight leather which has been oak tanned will soften. Some, I have even done at a 45 angle to the left and right to soften and to also create a texture to a piece of 'ho-hum' plain as a mud fence piece of leather.

If someone has an idea for a strap, and wants to ask questions, or get leather, please get in touch with me. There is no charge or obligation for brainstorming, I have been The Crafted Cow for 43 years. Talking leather is just as natural as someone else talking about orchids or recipes or Dwarf Nigerian goats. ( yep..I talk about them,too)

How does it compare to your Bailey strap? Looks great!

The Bailey strap is the one I referred to when I spoke of my fancy strap which I am moving to my soprano. The Bailey is lovely to look at, but stiff right now and not nearly as comfortable as the Lakota, which is butter soft but strong, right out of the bag. I'm gonna look into the best product to condition the Bailey strap with to soften it. Maybe mink oil or saddle soap...don't know. If anyone has suggestions, let me know. Also the Bailey has a leather toggle system for attaching to the strap buttons. In one way I like them, in that they tighten down on the leather loop to snug it very securely and I'm confident that the strap will stay on without a strap lock. On the other hand, it's hard for me to loosen it to take the strap off to put my uke back in the case. If you have a case where you can leave your strap on, you'd be golden, but I have a snug fitting hard case. As someone once mentioned in a previous thread, I worry a little bit about the wear that you might cause tugging on the little leather string that forms the toggle loop. It is a sturdy piece of leather lacing, but I have to pull pretty hard to loosen it enough to get the loop off the strap button. The other poster mentioned that he was a bit worried it might break there eventually. I will try to condition this part too, so that I don't have to pull so hard to get the strap off. Maybe once it's conditioned the toggle will move more freely. The Lakota just has the conventional keyhole strap holes and I will put a strap lock on the end pin Jack (I never trust a keyhole style strap to be 100% secure, if you're unplugged and standing a lot and moving around. If I'm sitting, then I don't worry.

Last edited:
Thanks bunnyf. I've been very happy with my Bailey straps. Bill is super helpful, if you called him he would definitely help you out in getting it softer. I haven't had any issues with mine and don't notice the stiffness as much, maybe because it sits pretty light on my shoulder and back and isn't actually touching skin. Also, I had an issue with one of my first straps that was very minor, and he went ahead and made me a replacement and told me to keep the old one to gift to a student. Figured it's worth a call!

Top Bottom