John S. Kinnard is building my new Concert (Sinker Redwood/Cocobolo)

Rakelele

Reaction score
Over the past couple of years, I have done a lot of research to figure out which custom builders appeal most to me. John S. Kinnard was one of them, and he has just started building my new Ukulele. My idea for it was that of a contemporary tenor, but in the concert size. It will have a Cocobolo body and a Sinker Redwood top with Series 3 appointments, Maple binding, Abalone rosette, a slotted headstock and a side sound port.

Kevin from KinnardUkes has been eager to keep me updated with pictures, so I thought I'd share some of them with you.

Bending of the sides:
Kinnard_12.jpg

Sinker Redwood top with blue Paua Abalone rosette:
Kinnard_13.jpg

Cocobolo back:
Kinnard_15.jpg

The box is closed:
Kinnard_17.jpg

It was my request for a dark, brownish piece of Cocobolo to match the Sinker Redwood top:
Kinnard_19.jpg

Flamed Maple binding is being fitted, along with black and white purfling lines:
Kinnard_24.jpg Kinnard_25.jpg Kinnard_26.jpg

How wonderful! I've listened to the kinnard sound samples at HMS and wow...you will be so pleased with this one. Do keep us updated!

The side sound port has been installed:
Kinnard_29.jpg Kinnard_33.jpg

I think the light color of Maple is framing the dark body beautifully:
Kinnard_30.jpg Kinnard_31.jpg Kinnard_32.jpg

Thanks Kanya, Stan, and cml. Yes, it was the pictures and sound samples at HMS that brought Mr Kinnard's work to my attention, along with several positive threads on this forum.

Congratulations! That ukulele is going to be beautiful! I have a tenor guitar that John built for me, and it's an amazing instrument. I'm sure you're going to love your new ukulele.

I had no idea your Kinnard was that far along in the build process.............you been holding out on me buddy:p

That is one of the most beautiful sinker redwood tops I have ever seen. I love cocobolo and flamed maple bindings and a sound port and the rosette and the...........yep it's fabulous.

I'm surprised it's a concert! :)

Interesting photos, thank you for sharing those.

Congratulations! That ukulele is going to be beautiful! I have a tenor guitar that John built for me, and it's an amazing instrument. I'm sure you're going to love your new ukulele.

Thanks Mark, I know your Tenor Guitar turned out great. That was one of the reasons which made me want to try Kinnard.

I had no idea your Kinnard was that far along in the build process... you been holding out on me buddy:p

Sorry Dave, I didn't mean this to be a secret, but it all happened so quickly once the build started! Basically within the last week.

I'm surprised it's a concert! :)

You mean because I tend to prefer the bigger sizes? My idea with this one was to have something "like" a tenor, but smaller.

Here are the last pictures I have received so far. They show how the neck is being fitted:
Kinnard_35.jpg Kinnard_37.jpg Kinnard_40.jpg

Congratulations in advance! John and Kevin make an amazing team, and John's attention to detail is second to none. That sinker redwood looks amazing!

Beautiful! Can't wait to hear the sound samples once it gets to you.

Stunning Uke Rainer. Would love to hear a sample when you get it.

Thanks for sharing.

An absolute knockout....... congrats! Dk is correct, Kinnard attention to details is amazing. Welcome to the club.

Such a beauty! And John builds lovely sounding and playing Ukes. You will be super happy!! Congrats!!

A John Kinnard series 3, wow, just stunning! A jewel in your collection for sure. Congratulations!

Top Bottom