You Never Forget Your First

Ukejenny

Reaction score
So, I was reminiscing about my starting out with this wonderful instrument. And, I tried to recall the first song I ever learned - I mean really learned, words, chords, top to bottom. Took me a few minutes, but it came back.

My first was If We Were Words We Would Rhyme, by Gruff Rhys. What was your very first and what's the story behind it?

I was trying to remember what turned me onto that song, and then Sophie Madeleine popped into my head! I looked at her YouTube page and saw that she hadn't shared a video since 2014. So, I looked on the Internet and learned that she has retired, and moved on to a new career. Hasn't even picked up an instrument in over a year, according to her blog. But, she is happy, and doing well, and has a job she really likes. What a loss for us! l wish her well. So, thank you, Sophie Madeleine and Gruff Rhys, and to the Universe, for bringing this song to me.

That's neat Jenny. After messing around learning little instrumental strumming things for what seemed like forever, I finally learned to play the chords and sing Jambalaya by Hank Williams. I was elated!
It also bore out the idea that I'm a hopeless hillbilly redneck.

Great idea for a thread Jenny, thanks:shaka:

My first song and maybe a number of other players as well was "You are my Sunshine". In Toronto there is a large uke jam called Corktown Uke Jam, this is where I started and learned to play. Every so often they have "Newbie Night" which is an open mic for people that have never performed before.

I had three other people approach me about forming a 4 piece emsemble to get up and perform. I figured there was safety in numbers so I did it. We picked You are my Sunshine because it was so simple. I worked really hard to memorize that, we nailed it and left the stage feeling like superstars.

I have zero recollection of the first song I learned to strum - there were too many. But I do know the first song I was able to strum and sing simultaneously was "This Land is Your Land" - it took me three months to be able to make my hands *and* my voice work together at the same time! The first song I learned to fingerpick was Bach's Minuet in G.

I have zero recollection of the first song I learned to strum - there were too many. But I do know the first song I was able to strum and sing simultaneously was "This Land is Your Land" - it took me three months to be able to make my hands *and* my voice work together at the same time! The first song I learned to fingerpick was Bach's Minuet in G.

Thanks for sharing about how long it took to learn to play and sing at the same time. Most newcomers will be grateful to find out they are not the only ones who can't do it the first time they try. It's all of us, but it does get easier

I don't know if it was my first, but I remember "Silent Night" as a very early fingerpicking/singing song. Still one of my favorite arrangements, especially as an instrumental, that has evolved a lot over the years. Still, when I do carols, I always bring the uke and always end with "Silent Night." :)

My first turned out to be a negative memory (sorry if I put a damper on this really good idea thread). It was Iz's version of "Over the Rainbow" because when I first started playing uke a little over three years ago, my sister-in-law (married to my identical twin brother and live two floors below in our family owned apartment building) said she loved that version. So I learned it (correcting the lyrics) in the next few weeks (at first had a lot of trouble with the strum pattern, but finally got it).

Then my cousin from Toronto visited, which he does regularly, and we all gathered in my place. He and my sister-in-law insisted I play them something on the uke. I know I don't sing well at all, but I figured why not, it will be a nice surprise for my sister-in-law (after hearing myself on the recordings I make of our uke group rehearsing, I stopped singing, I lip sync). Sitting on the couch next to the two of them, I started the intro and she got a big smile on her face, then I started singing and suddenly the two of them looked at each and started laughing and laughing. I immediately stopped and put away my uke, and never have or ever will play for them again.

My first turned out to be a negative memory (sorry if I put a damper on this really good idea thread). It was Iz's version of "Over the Rainbow" because when I first started playing uke a little over three years ago, my sister-in-law (married to my identical twin brother and live two floors below in our family owned apartment building) said she loved that version. So I learned it (correcting the lyrics) in the next few weeks (at first had a lot of trouble with the strum pattern, but finally got it).

Then my cousin from Toronto visited, which he does regularly, and we all gathered in my place. He and my sister-in-law insisted I play them something on the uke. I know I don't sing well at all, but I figured why not, it will be a nice surprise for my sister-in-law (after hearing myself on the recordings I make of our uke group rehearsing, I stopped singing, I lip sync). Sitting on the couch next to the two of them, I started the intro and she got a big smile on her face, then I started singing and suddenly the two of them looked at each and started laughing and laughing. I immediately stopped and put away my uke, and never have or ever will play for them again.

Wow. That's terrible.

If my uke hadn't been a very valuable one, I probably wouldn't started swinging it back and forth in the general direction of their heads.

.......I started the intro and she got a big smile on her face, then I started singing and suddenly the two of them looked at each and started laughing and laughing. I immediately stopped and put away my uke, and never have or ever will play for them again.

I play for my enjoyment, not for others' pleasure or critique. Whan asked to "perform" for family or friends I usually say something like "my agent won't allow it." It saves aggravation. Jamming is different, as it is a mutual experience, shared good times, and a lot of smiles and satisfaction.

First song....After a half century of guitar before ukulele, it probably was the Jimmy Buffett tune "Come Monday." It's been a long-time favorite and I play it a lot.

Good thread - the first song I played was the song that made me think the uke was for me. I was just messing around with a 6 string tenor at the swap meet at Aloha Stadium and I hit a few notes. Gee, I thought, that sounds like the beginning of Born On The Bayou. A fuller version came within a minute. I thought "if I can play music like this on uke, it's the one for me!" So far, so good.

First song I learned on ukulele was "Joshua Fought the Battle of Jericho" (Cm & G7) simply because it was the first song on the How to Play Ukulele DVD that came with my first cheap uke. :cool:

So, I was reminiscing about my starting out with this wonderful instrument. And, I tried to recall the first song I ever learned - I mean really learned, words, chords, top to bottom.

HA! still "working" on that! I know parts of a few songs, but not the whole thing. Never have been good at memorizing song words, let alone words and chords. On the other hand, the former leader of our group said at one time, he knew, like 400 songs. Always admired performers who could stand up there and play whole sets of songs without a hitch.

I don't remember my first song, but I'm sure that it had C, F, and G7, because those were the first chords that I learned, and I played the heck out of them for about an hour, and got them down pretty good, forwards, backwards, and inbetween. Then I got on the internet looking for songs that had C, F, and G7 in them, and I found a bunch. Most of them were pretty simple songs too. So all of a sudden I was a ukulele player. I don't want to sound smug, but I remember that I had printed out a half dozen songs with those three chords in them the first week that I played the ukulele, and I was sitting out on the front porch with a rum and coke, and playing them in the afternoons. A routine I still enjoy.

Edit; My wife said that it was Oh Susanna. She said that I played it and sang it for an hour straight the first day that I learned it. She said that I thought that I was quite the ukulele player. :D

Last edited:

That is too bad. I can see how that would really discourage you. It is pretty rude as well. But you don't need to quit singing, you just need a better audience.

Superb thread.

The first song I learned to play fully through was a shortened version of Spanish Melody, which is in 3/4 timing. I have since used this melody to create all kinds of variations, including 4/4 strumming and finger picking with different timings and styles and also it's a good way to practice 2 finger, 3 finger and 4 finger picking.

I find that when you know a song, it is the perfect song to practice all the variations, including making it so that it's hardly recognizable anymore. To me, that's fun.

I'm loving the replies - wonderful stories and great song ideas! kohanmike, you get a big hug from me. I'm so glad you didn't let them stop you.

kohanamike, People laugh at me all the time. It just eggs me on. Keep on ukein' buddy!

The first fingerpicking song I memorized was White Sandy Beaches. I couldn't find a tab/musical arrangement for it (admittedly I didn't try very hard) instead I found the chords and began fingerpicking the melody from there. After that I added the harmony. I think it came as an easier memorization since I listened and played each segment over and over until it sounded right.

As for strumming & singing a song, that would be Toes. I cannot help but smile when I listen to that song, so it goes great with the instrument that is impossible to unhappy while playing.

As for strumming & singing a song, that would be Toes. I cannot help but smile when I listen to that song, so it goes great with the instrument that is impossible to unhappy while playing.

Any useful links for that song?

My husband and I both learned Twinkle Twinkle Little Star pretty quickly.

After that, he decided to learn the beginning of Dueling Banjos and I started (and failed) to learn Margaritaville. My fingers aren't flexible enough!

Top Bottom