MGM & ukulele4u cases smell?

Ukulele_Junkie

Reaction score
Hey guys you know i bought an ukulele both from ukulele4u and MGM, and their cases have a very distinct smell, kinda like feet i guess. I'm wondering maybe thats the humidity and moisture seeping into the cases or something, but do you guys also have weird smelling cases and did you guys try to do something to it, or did u jus ignore it.

Oh yeah rayan how did MGM's shop smell? haha sorry weird but serious question.

lol as soon as i read ur post i smelled my case n my uke too lol but nahh smell nothing special but when i bought my kala baritone at gmsguitar there were fret wears in the first fret that's why im still debating if im going to buy another uke online

He doesn't have a shop. He has a warehouse. I didn't go visit it though, I just met him at a Zippy's. The reason Mike's ukes might sound a little different is because he and his staff take the time to set up each ukulele before they're sent out. Part of that process is oiling the fretboard.

quote "do you guys also have weird smelling cases and did you guys try to do something to it, or did u jus ignore it."

Proctor & Gamble UK do a wonderful spray called Febreze which actually works. It doesn't just disguise smells, it gets rid of them. Try www.febreze.co.uk

I've used it on carpets and furniture to get rid of smelly old dog smells so it should do feet.

Good luck!

quote "do you guys also have weird smelling cases and did you guys try to do something to it, or did u jus ignore it."

Proctor & Gamble UK do a wonderful spray called Febreze which actually works. It doesn't just disguise smells, it gets rid of them. Try www.febreze.co.uk

I've used it on carpets and furniture to get rid of smelly old dog smells so it should do feet.

Good luck!

i've tried febreze on my previous case, i dont think the smell is on the outside its seeping from the inside.

Didn't see that you said it was the case that smelled funny. I have case from him. Let me smell it. I want to smell the feet.

Didn't see that you said it was the case that smelled funny. I have case from him. Let me smell it. I want to smell the feet.

oh yeah haha my ukulele is great, just these people on ebay keep giving me smelly cases. I think i'll jus get another one tomorrow or order from musicians friend, i dont want to get caught in the store smelling all the ukulele cases.:eek: it's a phobia now. i have smelly caseaphobia

I once had a new uke case that smelled like old weed.. no bull. Trust me, there was no weed in it (I checked..). I put it outside in the hot sun for a day and that cooked most of that smell out. Something about the glue that the case factory uses.

i got my uke from da musicguymic and it smells good!

new koa wood smell. W00T!!

love it.

umm i dont know if you read any of the other posts, but the topic is the ukulele cases, not the uke itself...

just received case/uke from MGM and noticed an odor when I first opened it, but it's gone now. I assumed it was some preservative agent on the case or the uke -- whichever the case is, it's gone now.

. . . . . . stay tuned, because on next week's edition of 'What's That Smell?" our special guest will be . . .

The smell you are talking about varies from case manufacturer to manufacturer. its a outgas of the glue used in the making process. Since the cases are closed immediately after manufacturing many of cases do not have time to gas off or dissapate the smell as the glue cures. Oh yes I i know the smell very well of that glue someone posted about smelling like weed. The illegal kind Especially those hardshells with the palm tree imprint. i have heard a story about someone who took their uke to school on D.A.R.E. day and the dope sniffing dog ran to his ukulele case lol Anyway the best way to dissapate this smell is too lay it out in the hot Hawaiian sun for a day or two...as one of the posters said Febreeze only covers up the smell for awhile.

THANKS!!! MGM you cleared it up for me, i was really curious to what that smell was.

oh yeah any news on bugsgear

Last edited:
After reading all of this im scared to find out what my uke case is going to smell like. haha

awwww....so i guess the traumatic story of you losing the use of your hands and having to string, adjust, pack, wrap and play your ukes with your feet is untrue. what a farse!!!!!!!!!! hahahahahaha

Top Bottom