New String Day ...

Steveperrywriter

Reaction score
Decided to change three sets of strings at once today, and even though they are going flat faster than I can tune 'em, I thought it would be interesting to post a quick sound check. Strung up the Hannam last, and it goes out of tune faster, especially the trebles.

The strings are Southcoast smooth-wound linears (Low-G). One set is the lights, the other two are the mediums.

I like the tone(s)and in a couple weeks when they have stretched out, I expect I will like the sound more ...

How do the Southcoasts compare to other strings? I've got them on my "need to try someday" list, but haven't gotten any yet.
I've got Living Water strings on right now, and really like those.

I like the Living Waters, and have good experience with Worth Browns and Oasis, too. I was looking for more bottom, and I like adding the wound-C to the wound-G. Love the sound, and they are polished so they squeak less than anything else I have tried. Not for players who prefer the traditional re-entrant sound, I don't think. I got to ukulele by way of classical guitar, and I like that perspective. Whatever works for folks, it's all good.

I like the Southcoasts alot also, especially their wound C. I kind of favor the Fremont Soloist wound G. Seems to have more thump or bottom than the Southcoast with less squeak

That MBU sounds delicious ... even with new strings.

I have liked Southcoast strings a whole lot, but with their changes of a couple of months ago I do not like the new A string at all. It felt too thin and seemed out of balance with the other strings. Did you have any issues with it?

I have liked Southcoast strings a whole lot, but with their changes of a couple of months ago I do not like the new A string at all. It felt too thin and seemed out of balance with the other strings. Did you have any issues with it?

None I noticed. The Oasis warms have a good A string, and if I notice a problem, I will go back to those.

I really like the Oasis warm both low g and re entrant for the A string. The Oasis Bright A string, I find quite thin.

Interesting observation Eddie on the South Coast. Which set are you referring to?

I really like the Oasis warm both low g and re entrant for the A string. The Oasis Bright A string, I find quite thin.

Interesting observation Eddie on the South Coast. Which set are you referring to?

I think it was the light gauge linear, Sam.

Top Bottom