Talk me into or out of getting this baritone ukulele...

Mivo

Reaction score
Right, this happened somewhat unexpectedly. I was offered a Pono baritone, the RBSH-PC-S, at a rather nice price, and it's in Europe already, so no importing. It's this model. In Corey's hands, it sounds magical.

Might seem like a no-brainer, but I'm pretty torn on whether I want a baritone ukulele. After a bit of an evenful journey, I found a Black Bear koa soprano that made me quite happy and that subdued my interest in concert and tenor sizes at the moment (but you know how long these periods of satisfaction sometimes last). It gets most of my playtime lately, though moods and favorites change (I like my other ukes too).

I had been considering a baritone as a "secondary" uke (I'd sell the others eventually) because I felt it would complement the soprano nicely. The same type of instrument, but sufficiently different to be its own thing. Is it really, though?

I like the sound, it's a nice contrast to the soprano. But it sounds a lot like a guitar, sans the bass strings, so does it make really sense to get a baritone instead of a guitalele, 1/2 or 3/4 guitar? I can't fully shake the feeling that it's a bit of a novelty instrument that is neither here nor there.

But on the other hand I can't deny that it sounds beautiful. I have no particular interest in a full-size guitar, and part of me feels that a baritone is too large already for what I wanted when I embarked on the ukulele journey (a portable, fun instrument), so this isn't really about baritone vs. guitar. I still wouldn't get a guitar if I don't grab this baritone uke (it's not a direction I want to drift into, either, which I guess is always the "risk" when you start embracing the more guitar-y sizes).

But for curiosity's sake: Why would you pick a baritone ukulele over palor/small/tenor guitar? What does it offer that is unique to it? What is its place? (Does this question even make sense, if I enjoy the tone and would make music with it?)

Any thoughts on this particular Pono model? Is set-up an issue with factory Ponos? General feedback and ponderings on the topic of baritones?

I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for. I'm pretty indecisive about this as I don't really want to pile up even more ukes (this would be #9), but now that it's on my mind and I could grab this model at a good price, I go back and forth on the up- and downsides.

I've never had a baritone, so I could justify it from that angle. :) I do definitely plan on downsizing my uke collection next year, so perhaps it makes good sense to experience a quality baritone as part of the journey, even if I ended up re-homing it in a year.

What do you folks think?

Last edited:
if you like it and its already in europe and with good price then pick it!

UAS is a bear. May be productive to figure out what you want before spending that kind of money for anything.

When I started out, the first uke I got was a tenor, but it was too big for me, at that time.
Next was a soprano, a little bit too small, so concert size entered my life.

Spent time getting used to my concert sized ukes, then the urge to get a baritone struck.

It is a huge difference, there is no denying that, but I like Low G on most of my ukes, & the bari is lower, & I'm loving the sound.

Being a picker more than a strummer, I have found that I needed to use an amp to get enough volume to record my Seasons entries.

I am now learning to finger pick rather than using my previous thumb picking technique, & the sound has to be experienced.

So, yes, I would definately buy it. I don't think you would ever regret it. :)

Get it.

It is a great model with a great sound, both "sam13" and "rakekele" have that one but with cutaway. As you say you can always rehome in down the road. I got my first baritone about 8 months in to my uke journey. I dabbled with it on and off but never spent much time playing it. Then about 6 months ago I began playing it more and more. I am now in love with the sound and can't get enough of it, I now own 3 baritones. I know you didn't want to hear that:rolleyes:

This never would have happened if I had not taken the chance. You never know until you try, really try.

The beauty of the Ponos is that you'll get good resale value on it if you decide it's not for you. I would go ahead and get it - you'll spend hours agonising about it otherwise. Give it a go and if it's not for you, move it on. If it is for you then brilliant!

For me it would be a matter of economics and space. As others have said, a Pono will hold its resale value well. I have had a few baritones through the years, and have a cheap one now that was a gift.

I certainly enjoy the range of them, but I somewhat share your feelings of it not quite being a ukulele or a guitar. Nevertheless, it's a cool instrument.

I've been on uke hiatus awhile, and when I came back to it, I thought a bari would be my main axe, but I gravitated back to concert and soprano.

Tenor guitars are of course steel string instruments, and the necks are very narrow.

Do you feel as though you might eventually move to 6 string guitar?

I don't have a baritone and don't feel the need for one. I have my tenors tuned dGBE (high D) and they serve the same role as the baritone would have done had a got one but with the reentrant tuning. In fact it's my tenors that get played the most these days. In fact, I feel the advantage of the dGBE tuning in a tenor is you are in the same pitch range as a guitar but the tuning being reentrant makes it sufficiently different.

So, I suggest that a good alternative to a baritone is a tenor tuned dBBE.

Last edited:
I have the RBSH C Spruce top and it is an amazing Uke. Linear tuning: Wound Low D (D'Addario set) with Worth CB for the rest ... it is EXCELLENT. Clear tone. Sustain for a country mile. Tonal colour that makes you salivate.

I go from playing it exclusively to playing Tenors ... my LN Sopranos are getting neglected recently.

If you can get a good price for one, and little or no shipping. I say go for it! You could always sell it.

I would go ahead and get it - you'll spend hours agonising about it otherwise. Give it a go and if it's not for you, move it on. If it is for you then brilliant!

You're right, I'd just spend days fretting over this and go in endless circles. If it turns out not to be for me, I'll sell it and the difference in price will have been a worthwhile fee for the experience. I don't really need this, and I think Phil and Geoff are right, this is probably not necessary, but perhaps in the long run I'll really just end up with one soprano and a baritone, as Bill said. Griffis, no, I don't intend to get into the guitar world. That would open a whole new drain for money (classical, steel string, e-guitars...), and even a baritone is bigger than what I originally wanted.

Paid for it, should have it before the weekend. Mostly excited now. :) (No shipping. It's in Germany already and the person who it was originally imported for decided against it because they wanted the cutaway model, so the non-cutaway model would need to be sent back to the US, which made it more economical to sell it at a discount within Europe, especially since taxes had already been paid.)

Last edited:
You're right, I'd just spend days fretting over this and go in endless circles. If it turns out not to be for me, I'll sell it and the difference in price will have been a worthwhile fee for the experience. I don't really need this, and I think Phil and Geoff are right, this is probably not necessary, but perhaps in the long run I'll really just end up with one soprano and a baritone, as Bill said. Griffis, no, I don't intend to get into the guitar world. That would open a whole new drain for money (classical, steel string, e-guitars...), and even a baritone is bigger than what I originally wanted.

Paid for it, should have it before the weekend. Mostly excited now. :) (No shipping. It's in Germany already and the person who it was originally imported for decided against it because they wanted the cutaway model, so the non-cutaway model would need to be sent back to the US, which made it more economical to sell it at a discount within Europe, especially since taxes had already been paid.)
I am sure you will enjoy it. I know going back and forth between different instruments is great fun, and helps you appreciate the differences each instrument offers in tone. It is especially fun to bring it into group playing, since it adds a nice rich low tone that is welcome.
–Lori

Going round in endless circles, sleepless nights. Congratulations. You are the man. The spruce top will make it sound wonderful. I have only a classical guitar with a spruce top for comparison but I like it very much.

Good choice. Enjoy it. And if you don't, sell it to another UU'er in Europe.
I do like the idea of downsizing to only one soprano and one baritone (haha though that would be impossible!).
They're different enough voice-wise but let you keep the same fingerings/chord shapes.

I got my first Baritone about a month ago. I just love that big mellow tone. I say Go For It. Like you said, it can always be re-homed...

Buy it!

(I assume you wouldn't be asking around here if you wanted boring, conservative advice) :D

I think you'll love it Mivo. I have already made a commitment to a new Hoffmann bari and can't wait to get my hands on it. Having been a guitar player for too many decades to mention, I have always loved the sound of larger bodied stringed instruments. Yours will be a nice foil/counterpoint to the Soprano that you love so much. Enjoy, enjoy!

Mivo, I am with hollisdwyer- I think you will abosutlety love it! I have 4 baritones (Favilla, Martin, 5 string Boat Paddle D body style, and a Leonard Young)- each are unique in tone in their own right. I really like the sound of a baritone and I can use my old guitar song books!

Top Bottom