who's gonna build the first transparent wood uke?

Sorry... was took a bit to find a video that wasn't embedded in facebook.

Sort of a wood-hybrid epoxy material? Kind of like the Blackbird Clara then? Definitely looks promising

Very interesting, thanks for sharing!

That was my first thought when I read it a few days ago :) Instantly thought of ukes.

For a minute there I thought this was going to be an "Emperors New Uke" story. All seriousness aside, this is very cool.

Have to wonder what all the bleaching, boiling, vacuuming, and epoxying will do to the tonal qualities of the "wood"... Sounds like high tech plastic to me. Don't get me wrong, there is a lot to be said for high tech plastic.

In all seriousness, I like the way wood looks. Alternative materials make sense in order to avoid using wood.... but I can't imagine anyone would rather look at my belly than some nice koa... :)

Have to wonder what all the bleaching, boiling, vacuuming, and epoxying will do to the tonal qualities of the "wood"... Sounds like high tech plastic to me. Don't get me wrong, there is a lot to be said for high tech plastic.

I was thinking the same thing. :) It looks like mostly epoxy to me.

I was thinking the same thing. :) It looks like mostly epoxy to me.

carbon fiber is mostly epoxy...

What makes it clear is the removal of lignin.
Which.... is a natural polymer.
And then you replace it with a clear artificial polymer.

I paid extra for the upgraded curly wood version... you can really see it in the right light from the right angle.

carbon fiber is mostly epoxy...

What makes it clear is the removal of lignin.
Which.... is a natural polymer.
And then you replace it with a clear artificial polymer.

Prepreg CF is typically 35% expoxy, 65% carbon fiber.

It would make it easier to sneek a new ukulele into the house.

"Don't be silly, hon, the paint there just changed color from having the (old) uke hanging there for ages. What do you mean, strings? That's where I store them..."

Top Bottom