lower tension strings for an Outdoor Uke tenor?

rickkes

Reaction score
long time lurker, infrequent poster here . . .

I have a tenor Outdoor uke with the supplied Rye Rabbit strings. I think they sound okay, but they seem to be under lots of tension. Lots of pressure required to sound a nice clear note (or chord).

Can someone recommend a string that doesn't require so much effort?

Hi Rickkes, I have the Outdoor Ukulele Tenor bottle brown and I have Worth CM's on it. I did not like the Rye Rabbit strings. They felt thin to me, and kind of cut into your fingers a bit. I am a big fan of Worth strings in general though.
Also, given that Tenors have a longer scale, they're under more tension when tuned up to the normal GCEA tuning. So just because of the length, they're always going to be comparatively higher tension. Thus, what I did on my prior Mainland Tenor was tune down to Bb tuning. It seemed to help a lot with that tension and gave it a bluesier sound. I just played the same chord shapes and never bothered transposing since I was playing by myself.

I'd try a set of Aquila reds - I've used them on my flea and my daughters flea and they are the most comfortable strings I've ever played. That said, on some ukes they tend to break.

Top Bottom