Favilla ukulele age?

GrantM

Reaction score
I have just received a Favilla ukulele for free. The man who gave it to me said that it has been in their family for 90 years. Can any of you tell me if the is true? He was rather old so I don't know if he was exaggerating or maybe it is older then he thought. It would also be awesome if you could tell me the model.
image1.jpg
image2.jpg
image3.jpg
image4.jpg

The best thing for you to do is contact Thomas Favilla and ask him to help you out. Thomas H. Favilla,(BigTom5@aol.com)

If this contact info is incorrect Im sure someone will come along and correct me. I took the contact off of this site http://www.jedistar.com/pdf/favilla_bio.pdf

I know others that have contacted him and he is very helpful.

However old it might be, it looks to be in great shape - congratulations. Do you play?

Yeah it only has a few kicks and the finish seems to be peeling a tiny bit next to the frets. in it but other than that It looks fine. Do you have any suggestions on what I should use to clean it up?
I can read tabs but I don't really know how to play that well. But my brothers and sisters know how to play a little more that I do. But receiving this uke has made me really want to learn more in depth.

I have just received a Favilla ukulele for free. The man who gave it to me said that it has been in their family for 90 years. Can any of you tell me if the is true? He was rather old so I don't know if he was exaggerating or maybe it is older then he thought. It would also be awesome if you could tell me the model.
View attachment 91641
View attachment 91642
View attachment 91643
View attachment 91644
maybe not 90 years, but they've been making them awhile
http://www.catfish1952.com/favilla.html

Yeah I emailed Thomas Favilla and he said that it is a U2 made in the 1960's Not as old as the man who I got it from said. But it is still really cool.

Yeah it only has a few kicks and the finish seems to be peeling a tiny bit next to the frets. in it but other than that It looks fine. Do you have any suggestions on what I should use to clean it up?
I can read tabs but I don't really know how to play that well. But my brothers and sisters know how to play a little more that I do. But receiving this uke has made me really want to learn more in depth.

I rarely do anything with the finish on an instrument other than cleaning it with a soft cloth. I wipe the fretboard with lemon oil if it looks dry. You might get a lot of opinions one way or the other. Some people will tell you; never use lemon oil!, only use this or that!, don't do anything!

Damp (very not wet, you know, wrung near dry) cloth, wipe with dry.
Fer gods sake no lemon oil....( my opinion)
was gonna guess '50s from the tuners. Favilla is an excellent uke.

Okay I will try just a damp cloth. Yeah I have been researching them and most people seem to like them.

Put on a decent set of strings. These Favillas are light and loud and the ones I've seen are very playable and responsive with low action and great intonation. I have one that's been in the family somewhat before this one and it's where I go when I want a truly different uke sound. I'm saying that this is probably a winner. If you want to get started it's a great choice. Hope you get a chance to enjoy it.

...I have been researching them (Favillas) and most people seem to like them.

My best friend just received an older Favilla soprano he scored on ebay for $150 and he is absolutely mad about it. This guy knows instruments too (builds his own quite often) and has been playing forever. He is raving about his new baby.

Wonderful! Im glad you were able to get a hold of Thomas. I have a Favilla baritone and I love it. IMO there is nothing like the tone of the vintage instruments.

Congratulations! You scored :)

Wonderful! Im glad you were able to get a hold of Thomas. I have a Favilla baritone and I love it. IMO there is nothing like the tone of the vintage instruments.

Congratulations! You scored :)
I liked them so much I ended up with 4! Rehomed 3 so I'm down to the original 1. I like the neck profile, the 19" scale, the light build, heck, I like everything about them, even their prices. Had a Fav soprano,great too, but sold it as I hardly ever play soprano.

I didn't think it looked 90 years old. Lemon oil will clean and condition the fretboard. For the rest, wipe it on lightly and immediately wipe it off won't hurt anything.

The really early ones were stamped on the back of the headstock as were the early Martins. For a couple years (early 30s) they had a two colour crest on the front. They were to go on another line sold by someone else, but the deal fell through. Frugal Grandfather Favilla used them on his own ukuleles. They were no better or worse, just more certainly dated. My Favilla tenor guitar is headstamped on the rear My Favilla Wimbrola soprano has the gold headstamp on the front. Favilla is called the poor man's Martin. You have been blessed. Do Not Get Rid of it, please

Top Bottom