Tuning nomenclature

mailman

Knit-wit
UU VIP
Reaction score
I'm trying to understand some tuning nomenclature. I've seen standard tuning represented as GCEA....but I've also seen gCEA.

Likewise I've seen DGBE (I think), and dGBE....I think for baritone ukes.

I'm assuming that one tuning of each is for re-entrant tuning, and one is not. Is it the one that uses the lower case first letter, either gCEA or dGBE, that is not for re-entrant tuning....or is it the other way around?

When I look at gCEA and GCEA, the gCEA just looks as if it would mean "low G" tuning....it seems intuitive to me.

Which is which? And thanks, as always, for all the help.

Last edited:
Yes, gCEA usually denotes low G tuning, where GCEA usually means high g. DGBE is used for baritone tuning, but I have never seen dGBE before - as baritones are seldom tuned high G, DGBE implies a low D string.
You may also come across ADF#B, which is the (low A) tuning method popular in Canada and British Columbia.

Rob

Yes, gCEA usually denotes low G tuning, where GCEA usually means high g. DGBE is used for baritone tuning, but I have never seen dGBE before - as baritones are seldom tuned high G, DGBE implies a low D string.
You may also come across ADF#B, which is the (low A) tuning method popular in Canada and British Columbia.

Rob
I live in British Columbia and I have never heard of that tuning method before..:confused:...I personally use GCEA.

To confuse matters I have been told and read online that the proper way to spell it out is the little g is high and the big G is low...

I was even corrected here at UU when I first started asking ??? about Low G tuning...

To make it even more confusing I see guitar tuning written as EADGBE and EADGBe and I have never seen a guitar tuned with 2 low E strings!!!!

For a better explanation, read this article. Can't tell you much about the DGBE tuning.

Top Bottom