PDA

View Full Version : NMS Day:

JJFN
06-02-2016, 02:35 AM
That's right, NMS day, new music stand day. I popped for the Peak SMS 20, and as the expression goes, I should have done it years ago. It instantly improved my posture, and also allows me to view three sheets of 8x10 music, downloaded from the internet. I ordered it from Musician's Friend, and they were great. Thank you to everyone who gave me good advice on this purchase.

johnson430
06-02-2016, 03:03 AM
Congrats. I love getting music accessories. Enjoy the new stand.

JJFN
06-02-2016, 03:05 AM
Congrats. I love getting music accessories. Enjoy the new stand.

Thank you, it has already made a big difference.

Down Up Dick
06-02-2016, 04:01 AM
Now you need a new chair . . . and a light . . . and a music folder . . . and, and, and . . . Ahhh, well . . . :old:

UkerDanno
06-02-2016, 04:09 AM
you're welcome...;-D :shaka:

and they hold 2-3 thick books with no problem...

JJFN
06-02-2016, 05:03 AM
Now you need a new chair . . . and a light . . . and a music folder . . . and, and, and . . . Ahhh, well . . . :old:

Maybe a light. Well maybe a new chair. And who knows what else!

Down Up Dick
06-02-2016, 05:20 AM
Just sign your paycheck over to Musician's Friend . . . :old:

JJFN
06-02-2016, 06:30 AM
Just sign your paycheck over to Musician's Friend . . . :old:

They will have to get past my lovely bride first!

Rllink
06-02-2016, 07:09 AM
Now you need a new chair . . . and a light . . . and a music folder . . . and, and, and . . . Ahhh, well . . . :old:Funny Dick. I have been looking at getting a stand myself. Propping my music against the back of the other chair on my deck is not working well. Thirty five bucks, it is worth looking into. :D

Rllink
06-02-2016, 07:12 AM
They will have to get past my lovely bride first!
Is your wife a ukulele player? If not, the less you share with her, the easier it is to get it past her. Just a little advise from and old married man. :D

JJFN
06-02-2016, 07:48 AM
Is your wife a ukulele player? If not, the less you share with her, the easier it is to get it past her. Just a little advise from and old married man. :D

No, I use the term "bride" as a term of affection. We have been married for 25 years, and nothing get's past her.

Rllink
06-02-2016, 07:56 AM
No, I use the term "bride" as a term of affection. We have been married for 25 years, and nothing gets past her.35 years for me, and I think that mine would rather just let it get past her, than have to hear about it. ;) This could end up being a whole other thread. :D

Down Up Dick
06-02-2016, 08:24 AM
Rollie, I thought you made a stand. I was very impressed. Oh, yeah, and Feliz Cumpleanos ol' solger (sailor, really). :old:

Rllink
06-02-2016, 12:36 PM
Rollie, I thought you made a stand. I was very impressed. Oh, yeah, and Feliz Cumpleanos ol' solger (sailor, really). :old:Yes I did make one, but it is heavy and hard to move around. I chipped a lot of trim with it hauling it around the house. It looks nice though. But like a lot of things, it found itself in the corner of the spare bedroom and it seems to like it there. I really need something light and portable, but strong and stable. I look forward to hearing about how this one works. It might be the ticket.

UkerDanno
06-02-2016, 06:23 PM
I look forward to hearing about how this one works. It might be the ticket.

oh, it is the ticket, I've had mine for 4 years, there's nothing better for the money!

Booli
06-02-2016, 06:32 PM
Am I alone in hearing 'namaste' in my head when I read the thread title of "NMS day" and thinking it was a great pun?

Whether or not, I am in fact probably the only one who also had 'do itashi mosh-dey' following immediately afterwards in my mind...(IIRC, meaning 'don't mention it' usually in reply to 'thank you very much' in Japanese)

Any way - congrats on the stand and thanks for reminding me that I need something portable as my old Manhattan conductor's stand is not made for travel at all. :)

JJFN
06-03-2016, 01:12 AM
I look forward to hearing about how this one works. It might be the ticket.

I've only had the stand a few days, but so far I am very happy with it.

JJFN
06-03-2016, 01:16 AM
Am I alone in hearing 'namaste' in my head when I read the thread title of "NMS day" and thinking it was a great pun?

Whether or not, I am in fact probably the only one who also had 'do itashi mosh-dey' following immediately afterwards in my mind...(IIRC, meaning 'don't mention it' usually in reply to 'thank you very much' in Japanese)

Any way - congrats on the stand and thanks for reminding me that I need something portable as my old Manhattan conductor's stand is not made for travel at all. :)

Thank you Booli, I would like to take credit for that pun, but my Japanese is limited to sushi. The stand also comes with a bag, if that's any help to you.

JJFN
06-03-2016, 01:21 AM
Yes I did make one, but it is heavy and hard to move around. I chipped a lot of trim with it hauling it around the house. It looks nice though. But like a lot of things, it found itself in the corner of the spare bedroom and it seems to like it there. I really need something light and portable, but strong and stable. I look forward to hearing about how this one works. It might be the ticket.

I've only had it for a few days, but so far I am very impressed, it comes with a carry bag, so it should solve your problem.

Booli
06-03-2016, 04:01 AM
Thank you Booli, I would like to take credit for that pun, but my Japanese is limited to sushi. The stand also comes with a bag, if that's any help to you.

No problem!

FYI - 'namaste' is from the Sanskrit language and not Japanese.

I've been reading a bit about Yoga, and lots of Sanskrit and Hindi words are used since parts of Yoga originated in India.

for further details you can see these links:

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Namaste

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Namaste

Nickie
06-03-2016, 01:51 PM
Way to go. Anything that helps our playing is worth it, right?

Croaky Keith
06-03-2016, 11:53 PM
I got a Stagg desktop music stand the other day, mainly because my floor standing one is too weak to take books. :)

JJFN
06-04-2016, 06:32 AM
Way to go. Anything that helps our playing is worth it, right?

You're right, I need all the help I can get!

Ukejenny
06-04-2016, 11:42 AM
Sounds like you made a good choice in stands, and wives!!! I have several cheapo metal stands around here, from my band directing days, and once they all give up the ghost, I think I may gift myself with one of these. They really look nice. I have a portable stand, but it sure is heavy, so it is in my lesson space, and stays in one place. Too heavy to tote around.

hendulele
06-04-2016, 12:04 PM
I started with one of the cheap metal stands, and at the end of one of our jams, a friend "helped" me by trying to put it in its bag ... and broke it. I got an SMS-20 the next day and have not regretted it one minute. It's a great stand, easy to pack and carry, and very sturdy. Great choice!

JJFN
06-04-2016, 12:09 PM
I started with one of the cheap metal stands, and at the end of one of our jams, a friend "helped" me by trying to put it in its bag ... and broke it. I got an SMS-20 the next day and have not regretted it one minute. It's a great stand, easy to pack and carry, and very sturdy. Great choice!
I thought the inexpensive stands would not be good and several Forum members advised against the cheap ones. This seems like it will be fine.

JJFN
06-04-2016, 12:13 PM
Sounds like you made a good choice in stands, and wives!!! I have several cheapo metal stands around here, from my band directing days, and once they all give up the ghost, I think I may gift myself with one of these. They really look nice. I have a portable stand, but it sure is heavy, so it is in my lesson space, and stays in one place. Too heavy to tote around.

Thank you on both counts! I can't say this is real light weight, but it certainly is portable.