Video using vegetable peeler as spokeshave

Genius!

the folks at Lie-Nielsen and Veritas will be watching this and thinking how to make one out of brass or fancy wood so that can sell them for a few hundred quid :)

Seems like a great idea, but how to sharpen it?

Or is it so cheap like a disposable razor for shaving your face, you just throw it away when it gets too dull, and then buy another?

Also, what wood is that - it seems quite soft...

Seems like a great idea, but how to sharpen it?

Or is it so cheap like a disposable razor for shaving your face, you just throw it away when it gets too dull, and then buy another?

Also, what wood is that - it seems quite soft...

The wood is pine. Needless to say it is harder going on hardwoods and you really have to keep an eye on the grain as it will split things if you dont keep an eye on it. I switch to a knife or chisel cross grain on hardwoods. Sharpening was done with one of those plastic backed diamond sharpening paddles just stropping it a few strokes. Most Asian grocers round where I live sell them for around six or seven Aussie dollars but they are readily available on Ebay and Amazon for just a bit more than that.
The blue handled one has the crinkle cut blade, not so good for woodwork, but a fantastic alternative to a vegetable grater. Simply the best thing on the planet for shredding green papaya!

A Y handled spokeshave is a tool they would sell a lot of. An adjustable angle head version would also be on the books.

Great idea Titch. Never thought of that. I could see other use around the shop for the carrot peeler. As a matter of fact, I await the Stew-Mac hardened steel bifurcated semi-rotating spoke shave with ergonomic handle to appear any day now. Price: $25 dollars US not including shipping. Replacement blades sold separately.

Great, thanks. Just passed the link on to CigarBoxNation

Top Bottom