All Thumbs

Down Up Dick

Reaction score
Do those of you who (Yoo-hoo?) pick with your thumb (A) use a thumb pick or (B) an elongated thumb nail or (C) just the bare ol' thumb? I've been tryin' the C method with less than successful results--no volume. It sounds weak and flumpy. Or do you have a nuther method?

My picking thumb is poised and ready to pick. :eek:ld:

I use B...a slightly-elongated thumbnail. It's not at all extreme, just a millimeter or two past the end of the thumb. I usually hit the string first with the nail and then finish the stroke with a little bit of the meat. I don't care for the harsh, brassy sound of a pick or of an extremely long nail.
-----------
Forget what I just said. I got it bass-ackwards. The flesh catches the string first and then the nail finishes it off. Don't know what I was thinking! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Yeah, thanks, Snargle, I understand. My fingernail was some longer, but I clipped it off. It was in the way of my clawhammering. I suppose I could grow it back a bit though.

I've been considering a thumb pick, but I dunno . . . :eek:ld:

Plain ol' thumb for me. I will sometimes grow the other nails a bit, but not the thumb. Also, I've just crossed over to the dark side with a low g and I feel like I can control the balance and volume better without nails.

Plain old C for me too.

Another vote for plan C. I keep the thumb nail trimmed now 'cause the sound jars if the nail inadvertently touches the string. Another guy played my tenor and thought it sounded bright - and it did with him playing it. He had long nails though and did use his thumb nail. It sounds mellow with less nails.

Of course it sounds mellower still tuned to B.

I use my thumb nail. It's not overly long, but sounds good to me. I don't try for loud volume, though, at least not until I play better. ;) I've been curious about thumb picks, though, and may try one soon just for comparison.

I use "C". I can control the sound much better without the nail.

clarity

Do those of you who (Yoo-hoo?) pick with your thumb (A) use a thumb pick or (B) an elongated thumb nail or (C) just the bare ol' thumb? I've been tryin' the C method with less than successful results--no volume. It sounds weak and flumpy. Or do you have a nuther method?

My picking thumb is poised and ready to pick. :eek:ld:

When I was wee lad we used to drink Yoohoo.

I pick with the side of the thumb sorta, right where the flesh meets the nail, such that both will contact the string at the same time, but the edge of the nail is what creates the initial attack and sound, and if strumming, I use the thumbnail exclusively as opposed to any flesh, and mostly on the upstroke, and any number of other fingers on the downstroke for a triplet, fan or flamenco strum.

For me, thumb on downstroke is FINGERPICKING and NOT strumming.

I have the nails on my right hand grown out to about 2mm past the finger tip and use them to good effect both when fingerpicking and strumming.

As far as flumpy sounding, I think it's more a matter of technique and just HOW you attack the string with the thumb. This was a problem for me at first and I spend a few days experimenting with how to address the string with my thumb, and then tried to use that method thereafter, and IIRC it took about a week of 1hr per day practice before it became second nature...

If I want a mellower tone from the thumb, I angle it so that no nail touches the string, and strum from the bottom/side fleshy part.

Like I said, it's a matter of technique, and as such we will all have a different one. :)

ALSO, I tried all kinds of thumb picks and also the Alaska Picks and using any such prosthetic devices INTERFERES too much with me being able to FEEL the strings, which is of paramount importance in my playing experience, and using such devices are like trying to taste food through a thick layer of plastic wrap. So I dont do it. YMMV. :)

Just the top edge of my thumb, i.e. 'C'.
If you look at my earlier Seasons videos you'll see what I mean.

It was fine for practicing, however, I found it to be too quiet for recording so used to plug in to get more volume.
Now, with my new baritone that is acoustic only, I am finding I need to pick using thumb & fingers, with a fair bit of attack, to get enough volume to record.

I use C, just the thumb, for fingerpicking. I tried a thumbpick but found it hard to control the sound, especially when you strum a chord, which happens occasionally even when fingerpicking. I just couldn't get the balance between the fingers (nails pretty short) and the thumbpick.

Another vote for C here - I grew my thumbnail a bit but it would have had to be really long to use with my angle of attack on the strings. I understand what you're saying about volume, or lack thereof, but I've just got into the habit of using a stronger attack with my thumb. Mostly playing low G these days , so a softer approach on the G serves me well anyway.

Alytw and igorthebarbarian, the plain ol' thumb doesn't sound weak and flumpy to you? :eek:ld:

No, it doesn't to me. I have a bit of a callous built up on the side of the thumb that may help. As Booli said, I think that technique makes a difference too. Speed, pressure, angle, part of the thumb all help with controlling the tone and volume in a specific context.

I was wondering just HOW one would DO that, LOL!

I use B...a slightly-elongated thumbnail. It's not at all extreme, just a millimeter or two past the end of the thumb. I usually hit the string first with the nail and then finish the stroke with a little bit of the meat. I don't care for the harsh, brassy sound of a pick or of an extremely long nail.
-----------
Forget what I just said. I got it bass-ackwards. The flesh catches the string first and then the nail finishes it off. Don't know what I was thinking! :rolleyes:

Oh, and I use a nail just slightly past the end of my thumb. I just can't get used to a pick. Clumsy to me. I have occasionally used a fake nail put onto my thumb with a band-aid. Works great and doesn't fall off like a pick. :)

Bare thumb downstroke, Thumb nail upstroke. Index and middle fingers for more complex fingerpicking.

C for me. My finger picking is weak for me anyway, so lack of volume is a good thing right now. LOL

Top Bottom