Thicker gauge low G sets?

Griffis

Reaction score
Yesterday I received a concert uke I just ordered used. Inexpensive instrument, but decent. I want this to be my low G uke. Played uke many years, but I am not overly familiar with a lot of the string options out there. I've had various Aquillas on different ukes...but I'm a bit overwhelmed by the myraid choices...Worth? Southcoast? Living Water?

Can anyone recommend a low G concert set that might be a slightly thicker gauge than the usual? I am used to nylon-string classical guitars, and while I prefer the ukulele, I find I miss the thickness and "body" of the thicker strings.

I should also say that my preference would be for a NON-wound low G.

A friend just sent me a set of Aquilla low G reds, but haven't tried them yet of course.

Thanks for any suggestions!

D'addario pro-arte are nylon. They're also thick. They come in low G unwound but I seem to recall the low g going out a bit up the neck.

Last edited:
D'addario pro-arte are nylon. They're also thick. They come in low G unwound but I seem to recall the low g going out a bit up the neck.

Good recommendatiin here because nylon will always be thicker than floro carbon.

If you want floro you can use Worth CT low G which are nonwound. CT means clear tenor and the tenor will be bigger in diameter then concert size.

Oasis warms are larger diameter floros, one size fits all for soprano, concert and tenor but it only comes with a wound low G

Last edited:
Good recommendatiin here because nylon will always be thicker than floro carbon.

If you want floro you can use Worth CT low G which are nonwound. CT means clear tenor and the tenor will be bigger in diameter then concert size.

Oasis warms are larger diameter floros, one size fits all for soprano, concert and tenor but it only comes with a wound low G

In the oasis... only the 1 string (A) is really thicker... and not that much thicker. Don't get me wrong... oasis are my go to set. But they're not really thick.

I think worth come in a standard and a thick, but I only get standards so I dunno about the thicks really.

I like these,using them now, but the wound string doesn't last too long[at least on mine], no problem, I replace it with a Freemont polished and good to go for awhile.

In the oasis... only the 1 string (A) is really thicker... and not that much thicker. Don't get me wrong... oasis are my go to set. But they're not really thick.

I think worth come in a standard and a thick, but I only get standards so I dunno about the thicks really.

Yea the only point I was making about Oasis is you use the same set whether it is concert or tenor so they will be thicker than other floro concert sets. But I agree they are not really "thick"

Thanks folks, and I'd love to hear more discussion. Oasis is new(s) to me, and only just heard of Freemont, here on the boards. Hope to try them all out eventually, but may give the D'addarios a shot first just because they come with the unwound G and I've used their guitar strings often through the years. They make very nice nylon guitar sets, but I recall their wound nylons wearing out a bit faster than some other brands.

Sincerely, this is very informative. I didn't realize nylon was typically thicker than flouro. Good stuff!

Top Bottom