PDA

View Full Version : Neck and heel block dimensions

miche
06-04-2016, 03:37 AM
Hi all about to start build two and hoping it goes better this time. I now have a radius dish so am hoping that will eliminate a few problems I had last time.
I have a question regarding the neck and heel block dimensions people use on tenor ukes. On the last one the neck block I used was 30mm deep and 60mm wide. I had planned to use a dovetail which was 30mm wide at the back and 20 at the front but the block is so heavy and I think the dovetail would have ended up being unnecessarily big.
The end block I used was 60mm wide and 20mm deep again turning out heavy. I just wondered how small I get get away with making the dovetail and blocks. It will just be the joint holding the neck in. I won't be using any dowels or anything. Similar to a guitar.

Thanks again everyone.

Timbuck
06-04-2016, 09:20 AM
Are we talking about dovetails or compound dovetails ?

sequoia
06-04-2016, 05:40 PM
If I read your post right Miche, I think the weight of the neck block is the least of your worries. What you want to worry about is getting the thing in there straight, level and plumb. Very important as everything comes off this. As far as your neck attachment method goes, perhaps a compound dovetail is biting off a bit more than you can chew. Ken can cut one of these things perfect after a night out at the pub to a tolerance that would make Antonio Stradivarius blush with pleasure. Since we are not Ken Timms and this is your first uke, consider a straight radiused butt joint with dowels. It works just fine. Oak dowels and Tightbond and it isn't going anywhere. Trust me. The challenge is getting an absolute straight neck set with no reveals at the neck to body join. If you got your neck block in there right and your neck heal is a perfectly matched radius,... duck soup. Good luck! Send pictures.

Michael Smith
06-05-2016, 07:03 PM
As far as heal block, many use high quality 1/2" maple or birch plywood. I like a white maple plywood called ApplePly. it is a top of the line plywood. All plys are maple and it never seems to have any voids.

sequoia
06-05-2016, 08:08 PM
Funny but my heal blocks are never a problem. I use mahogany blocks radiused and even if I get them slightly off center, nobody knows but me. A non-mission-critical part in my limited experience. Heal grafts cover all sins. However, neck blocks are mission critical and must be fit perfectly to get that easy neck set. Not easy as sides tend to rack and... you know.

miche
06-06-2016, 07:48 AM
Thank you everyone for your advice.