Mitchell MU 70 concert

Griffis

Reaction score
My first uke back in 2000 was an Oscar Schmidt OU3. This uke is nearly its twin. The bridge is a slightly different shape, has a compensated saddle, headstock shape and logo are different. Otherwise, same uke.

I've also seen the near-identical uke with yet a different headstock shape, branded Samick. I surmise they are all Samick factory in origin.

I loved that Oscar Schmidt and always hoped to replace it.

The Mitchell projects better and sounds more liively and a bit louder. I doubt that is anything but luck of the draw. But as with the Schmidt, the incredibly thick gloss finish and sturdy build of the instrument prevent it from being very resonant.

The nut is not well cut, and I may replace it. I plan to string it with an unwound low G anyway. The nut slots are cut too shallow and the action, decent everywhere else, is high enough at the first fret to cause notes to go out of tune. Intonation is decent. It is also, to me, a beautiful ukulele.

The tuners are also old and not great. They may get swapped out as well.
But they are functional.

This is a mass-produced, laminated instrument, not finely crafted, but benefits from mostly good specs and being solid as a rock while still having a pleasing sound. Definitely on the mellow side, to contrast with my brighter soprano which I use for more strummy songs. The concert is what I use for more fingerpicked things...classical pieces and old gypsy jazz numbers I sometimes attempt.

I feel a little like I've been reunited with an old friend. Not a beautiful, willowy sweetheart, but more a hard-drinking tough old rambler.

For me, it's well worth messing with the nut and tuners to make this a better player. And a hardshell case is in the near future.

My second uke was an MU 70. Never worked well for me, and I'm sure it was the lack of setup. I sold it, always wishing it sounded as good as it looked. Had I known about setups at the time, I might still have it.

I had that exact model, my second uke. It came well-intonated from the factory, which was surprising for a $100 uke in 2006. Now days the cheap ukes are generally OK but in those days the cheaper ukes could sound terrible until adjusted. Anyway mine was very quiet, which I liked as I was in an apartment at the time. As stated above it had a very mellow sound. I sold it when I bought a nicer Pono concert and did not feel that I needed two concerts.

Top Bottom