Can I learn to play with a pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gatorgirl

Reaction score
My boyfriend has a few ukuleles and I would really like to learn to play but the strings hurt my fingers terribly. I can't really build up calluses because I am a jewelry maker. Can I use a pick instead or am I stuck being a listener only?
Thanks, total newb

My boyfriend has a few ukuleles and I would really like to learn to play but the strings hurt my fingers terribly. I can't really build up calluses because I am a jewelry maker. Can I use a pick instead or am I stuck being a listener only?
Thanks, total newb

Strumming should not hurt your fingers. You should be just lightly brushing the strings. It's the left hand (the fretting hand) that might hurt a bit after extended playing. Calluses will eventually build on that hand but using a pick won't have anything to do with it. I'd say give it a try (without using a pick) and see how your fretting hand does... If your strumming finger hurts you're strumming too hard. Or you're strumming with the side of your finger. It should be down with your nail and up with the pad of your finger.

Ive been a tattoo artist for many years now and have almost no calluses on my hands. Three years of playing soprano ukulele almost every day and I still have no calluses. Concerts and tenors have more string tension than a soprano and pressing or squeezing to hard with the fretting hand is common for a beginner.

I still catch myself fretting too hard at times when I'm trying to work out something with my picking hand, go figure.

I play Aquila reds exclusively the last three years.

~AL~

Almost forgot to add... Yes you can play with a pick why not?

You're right. It was the fretting hand that hurt. I guess I won't be playing. :(
Thank you for the reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom