PDA

View Full Version : tuning

ukukulele
04-13-2009, 04:49 AM
hi, please bear with me as i am a complete newbie, can somone explain G return tuning, dont have a clue what it means, please help in layman turns

HaileISela
04-13-2009, 05:02 AM
re-entrant G tuning means that the strings are not (as on most of the other cordophones) in order of their pitch. You tune the 1st string high A, second E, third C (deepest note) and the last one to high G. the "usual" tuning for guitars or whatever would have a low G here (one octave lower...) that tuning is used on tenors though...

hope that helped

ukukulele
04-13-2009, 05:12 AM
thanks i think i got it now, so i am thinking of buying a lanikai tenor as my first ukulele, so do you mean i should tune the G string an octive lower, unlike other ukuleles as they would be an octave higher on the G.

mailman
04-13-2009, 05:46 AM
I think most tenor ukuleles are standard GCEA tuning; not the low G, but the re-entrant tuning with the high G.

I'm no expert, but I'm sure you'll hear from some....:)

carpekd
04-13-2009, 05:49 AM
It depends on the strings that come with your uke. Most likely it will come with "high G" strings, meaning you need to tune it to re-entrant tuning. You can buy "low G" strings, in which the top string is thicker and will allow you to tune it to a low G.

Here is a link to a good online tuner:
http://www.get-tuned.com/ukulele_tuner.php

ukukulele
04-13-2009, 08:16 AM
an i ask why a tenor uke would be tuned with a low G, instead of high G like others, is it because of the size of the ukulele,sorry to keep asking questions that may sound stupid to you guys but i am a complete newbie

carpekd
04-13-2009, 08:26 AM
Tenors can be tuned to high G. In fact most tenors ARE tuned to high G (even mine!)

mailman
04-13-2009, 09:04 AM
Low G tuning is a preference, as opposed to a necessity. Some folks like the low G tuning for certain songs because of the added "bass" tones.

The majority of ukuleles (soprano, concert and tenor) are tuned GCEA with a high G. This is different in the baritone ukulele, which uses a completely different tuning altogether.

ukukulele
04-13-2009, 09:27 AM
so to clear this up, a high G or a low G when you say tuned to a octave higher or lower, is the G note tuned higher or lower than a standard G or higher or lower than the C note string, i am sorry if i sound really thick but i dont want to spend money on a ukulele then not know what i am doing, better do a bit of research first, lol as you can tell i dont play an other instruments

mailman
04-13-2009, 10:01 AM
Higher or lower than the C string.

carpekd
04-13-2009, 10:04 AM
Here's a hint when buying a new ukulele:

Don't worry about the tuning/strings...
Just make sure you get a good quality uke in the right size (soprano, concert, or tenor). You can then take your uke and try different strings such as low G & high G, or different brands.

Also remember: you can tune a ukulele many different ways... gCEA is just the "standard" tuning for soprano/concert/tenors

ukukulele
04-13-2009, 10:54 AM
i understand now when you are saying high or low G, god you people have some patience, you must think i am a right thicko, thanks again for keeping me right, i wont forget you guys when i am rich and famous. lol:D