Lil' Rev

Rllink

Reaction score
I went to the Great Minnesota Uke Gathering in Richmond, MN this weekend and attended three workshops put on by Lil' Rev. He is just an excellent and entertaining teacher. A darn good ukulele player as well.:D The Great Minnesota Uke Gathering is held in conjunction with the Minnesota Homegrown Kickoff, put on by the Minnesota Bluegrass Organization. Anyway, I've learned a lot from Lil' Rev's videos on the internet, but being there in person to experience some of his workshops is something else all together.

Anyway, I know that there was the UWC going on that same weekend, and that a lot of ukulele players went there, but there was a pretty good turnout at the GMUG as well. But I mainly wanted to say how much I learned from the Lil' Rev workshops. If anyone has a chance to attend one, I'm sure that they will walk away a better ukulele player.

Last edited:
muy Bueno amigo

would never miss a Lil' Rev workshop of I could possibly make it.

I had an opportunity to attend a workshop last fall. I have to agree, L'il Rev is an outstanding teacher and musician.

I've gone to many workshops but Lil Rev's on intros and outros was one of the most useful that I've attended. It helps you to add polish and showmanship to an otherwise just average performance. A little buildup creating anticipation in the audience in the beginning and a bit of flair at the end, leaving the audience on a high note, makes a tremendous difference between lack-luster and fun. I would definitely catch him again if he is nearby.

That sounds like fun - glad you got to go. It's a different experience in-person vs. online/reading material.

I've gone to many workshops but Lil Rev's on intros and outros was one of the most useful that I've attended. It helps you to add polish and showmanship to an otherwise just average performance. A little buildup creating anticipation in the audience in the beginning and a bit of flair at the end, leaving the audience on a high note, makes a tremendous difference between lack-luster and fun. I would definitely catch him again if he is nearby.
It is all in the smile at the end.;) I did an open mic at the festival right after his workshop with every intention of ending with a big tremolo and a bigger smile, but forgot both and ended with just my usual not very exciting strum. I guess that I have something to work for.

Last edited:
That sounds like fun - glad you got to go. It's a different experience in-person vs. online/reading material.
Yes, I like the part where you get to say, "would you do that again, just a little slower." That is just so much harder to do with the videos.

I would love to attend one of his workshops.

Lots of great uke players do classes. Very few qualify as great educators in a group setting. The two standouts I've experienced are Lil' Rev and Kimo Hussey. Both maintain absolute control over the class and effectively teach to all levels.

I've been to at least two of his workshops. He taught me my 1st song. Anyone who wants to play better could benefit. His concerts are really awesome too. He plays a lot of Tin Pan Alley stuff that no one else does. He's a great historian too. I can't wait for him to come back again. Every time I see hi I learn something, and I have to have a photo op with him too!

I couldn't agree more with the things being said about Lil' Rev. I've seen him twice before and will see him again at the Midwest Uke Camp in 3 weeks. Very exciting!

His CD's are worth listening to as well. He also writes ukulele instruction books for Hal Leonard and has self published books of poetry. My wife and I have hosted a few house concerts for Lil' Rev and we can tell you that he is genuinely the same warm hearted soul in person that he is on the stage.

Visit http://www.lilrev.com/ to see his current schedule or to purchase one of his CD's.

Top Bottom