Kala model designations

WeaserP

Reaction score
Ok, been looking at a few of the Kala models and would really like to understand the model designations if that's possible. For example, the KA-STGE-C. I know I can google it and find out all the specs but, typically, there's a rhyme and a reason for the model name. Can someone enlighten me?

Thanks!

Thanks, Keith. I do appreciate the response but I was using that model simply as an example to decipher the entire code of all the models. I'm not sure what KA refers to except the first two letters in Kala obviously but should I believe that the first letter in the second set refers to the top wood, the second refers to the size, the third refers to the finish, the E, if it's there, let's you know it's got a preamp and the -C refers to cutaway or not? So if I saw STG, would I be right in assuming it's a non-electric, non-cutaway Spruce Tenor with a gloss finish? Is there no reference to the back & side woods or laminate or solid?

Sorry to be so anal here but I'm trying to understand the line and, as I talk to others about the individual models, I'd really like a better idea of what others are talking about. Thanks!

Mine is a KA-SRMT Tri. I believe the KA does stand for Kala. The SRM are the three woods it is made from, Spruce top with Rosewood sides and Rosewood and Mango back. The T is the size indicator…Tenor. That has been my understanding of the designation for my uke but there could be other letter combinations for other ukes or I could be wrong in my understanding of the lettering. Sorry I couldn't be more help. I bet the guys at HMS could tell you though.

KA=Kala the rest is a bit cryptic as the size and wood designations can move. For example my KA-GAS is a golden acacia soprano while my KA-SEM is an exotic mahogany soprano.

Use Google would be my advice.
~AL~

Thanks, all. Was hoping it would be a little more straight forward than that but I do appreciate the help.

Top Bottom