What I'm working on now

Ukejenny

Reaction score
I'm doing some finger picking stuff - Tarrega's Etude in Em, and Romance De Amor, both pretty easy once you get going...

And I'm trying to figure out chords for Kris Kristofferson's Other Side of Nowhere.

Our ukulele group is gearing up for a downtown celebration for the Fourth, so we are working on all our patriotic US tunes.

How about you? What new things are you exploring?

Rolls, tremolos, and triplets.

what picking pattern on romande de amor you use?
the one on ukuleleunderground is extremely hard for newbies.

We saw Blue Rodeo in concert on the weekend, great Canadian band. I am learning their song " Hasn't hit me yet" on baritone. The ensemble I play in will be performing "5 Days in May" by Blue Rodeo next Monday night at an open mic.

A chord melody arrangement I just started on is "And I Love Her" by Lennon and McCartney. The arrangement is done by our very own R.J. Putter on his site Ukefever, great stuff.

Last edited:
I'm on a Simon & Garfunkel kick - currently learning 'America' and 'The Boxer'. I'm about a year into my uke journey and I seem to have developed a preference for playing arpeggios. I like to sing and accompany myself, but I also seem to favour the sound of plucked strings over strummed. Maybe I'll develop in the direction of chord melody playing. Have to wait and see :)

Fun thread. I agreed to play uke songs for a wedding. I'll be playing 4 tunes. I'm focusing on the two I don't know reasonably well: Wagner's The Bridal Chorus, and Just Breathe by Pearl Jam. The bride -- a friend of my daughter's -- asked me to sing the latter. Visions of Runaway Bride...

I'm doing some finger picking stuff - Tarrega's Etude in Em, and Romance De Amor, both pretty easy once you get going...

And I'm trying to figure out chords for Kris Kristofferson's Other Side of Nowhere.

Our ukulele group is gearing up for a downtown celebration for the Fourth, so we are working on all our patriotic US tunes.

How about you? What new things are you exploring?

Here you go Jenny; http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/w.../80268.html?songbook=&transpose=0&tuning=GCEA

Blackbird- Micheal Lynch's arrangement for ukulele. Other stuff too but that's my current favorite.

Apart from the usual Seasons mayhem, I've been working on an arrangement of Roderigo y Gabriela's "Diablo Rojo" which is so fun to play. Since it's a duet, I'm debating trying to play the parts myself or recruiting one of my local uke friends to tackle it with me.

There's nothing like trying to play those lightning fast runs on a uke to remind me I have a lot to learn.

Last edited:
what picking pattern on romande de amor you use?
the one on ukuleleunderground is extremely hard for newbies.

I am using the one from UU. So far, it has been the nicest I've found, and most complete.

We saw Blue Rodeo in concert on the weekend, great Canadian band. I am learning their song " Hasn't hit me yet" on baritone. The ensemble I play in will be performing "5 Days in May" by Blue Rodeo next Monday night at an open mic.

A chord melody arrangement I just started on is "And I Love Her" by Lennon and McCartney. The arrangement is done by our very own R.J. Putter on his site Ukefever, great stuff.

Ahhhh, off to check out Ukefever!!! Thanks!

I LOVE RyG!!!!! They are incredible! I hope you will share your arrangement so the rest of us can see how much we have to learn as well!!!! I can't imagine trying to do something like that - lightening fast hands and quite a dervish!!!! Diablo Rojo is one of my favorites.

Apart from the usual Seasons mayhem, I've been working on an arrangement of Roderigo y Gabriela's "Diablo Rojo" which is so fun to play. Since it's a duet, I'm debating trying to play the parts myself or recruiting one of my local uke friends to tackle it with me.

There's nothing like trying to play those lightning fast runs on a uke to remind me I have a lot to learn.

I LOVE RyG!!!!! They are incredible! I hope you will share your arrangement so the rest of us can see how much we have to learn as well!!!! I can't imagine trying to do something like that - lightening fast hands and quite a dervish!!!! Diablo Rojo is one of my favorites.

Believe me if I ever manage to get through it and record it I will post my tab along with it. That's way too much work not to share it!

Working on several Beatles tunes from Fred Sokolow's book:

And I Love Her
Yesterday
Here Comes the Sun

Fun stuff!

I'm mostly working on my banjos, but I'm trying to improve my fingerpicking on my baritone and 8 string ukes too. And I'm also still strumming once in a while.

In addition to the above, I'm also trying to regain/retain all my flute chops. :eek:ld:

last one I worked through (last week) was "killing me softly"- the Roberta Flack version.
This week I'm working on Torn by Natalie Imbruglia.

Scales. And more scales. :( It's a pretty good way to get used to the baritone, though!

Top Bottom