PDA

View Full Version : Why more than one

DownUpDave
06-07-2016, 03:04 AM
There is an old saying among hunters and shooters " beware the man with just one gun, he probably really knows how to use it".

The same can be said for musicans. If you have one guitar or ukulele you probably really know how to get the most out of it. There is a lot to be said for dedication to the art of pulling out all the sound you can from one instrument.

But ukes are different. A soprano has a different sound and soul and character than that possesed by a tenor or baritone. That is the joy and the main reason for UAS, experiencing those different sounds. I just played a piece on a tenor, a baritone and a tenor guitar. I throughly enjoyed each unique sound, what a treat. It left me sitting at my kitchen table with a big silly grin on my face.

So go forth and buy that different uke you have been curious about. Just ask "Mivo" about how glad he is for getting a baritone to go along with is beloved sopranos.

sam13
06-07-2016, 03:09 AM
Ukes inspire.

Why restrict the joy when it is a natural and beautiful high to yourself and others?

I don't advocate gluttony, but rather a full smorgasbord.

stevejfc
06-07-2016, 03:27 AM
The more the better. And you know, I learn something different from each ukulele.
Guitar players are the same. Look at the collections George Harrison had..... and what Clapton has too. George also supposedly had a uke in each room at his home, Friar Park. Of course, not many of us have 40+ room homes.

Rllink
06-07-2016, 03:34 AM
It left me sitting at my kitchen table with a big silly grin on my face.
I usually get that after four or five beers. :D

VoiceofTJ
06-07-2016, 03:39 AM
Different looks, different feel, different sounds. Plus, it's just fun to have them!

DownUpDave
06-07-2016, 03:54 AM

Rolli you just proved my point........"Why more than one" :cheers:

Rllink
06-07-2016, 03:58 AM
Rolli you just proved my point........"Why more than one" :cheers:
Good one Dave. I guess that I did.;)

Mivo
06-07-2016, 04:28 AM
Ha, yes, I love that baritone!

I'll say, though, I really feel about it as I would about a different instrument, like a guitar, druma, or mandolin. The thing is so big compared to sopranos that the experience is vastly different, and so is the sound. I still don't know whether I like linear tuning, but I'll make up my mind when I get the re-entrant dGBE Living Water strings in the mail.
Good chance I'll like re-entrant more because the low-D booms and I feel it overshadows the other notes, but I'm fickle about that.

As for having multiple ukuleles, I always trip over the idea of having more than one ukulele of the same size and tuning. I mean, I have those, but it's not what I ideally want, it feels like too much. Right now, I think I'd be happy with the baritone in d/DGBE, the tenor in fBbDG, and one of the sopranos in gCEA. To me, that's not different from someone having a clarinet, a recorder, and a whistle, because I don't play anything else and these give me different sounds and experiences.

What I struggle with is the question of which of my sopranos to let go. I have the koa Black Bear, the 1920s Washburn, and the KoAloah LN Pineapple. I think one of them would suffice, but I like them for different reasons. I don't regret buying them (my total is 9 ukes, it's not that extreme) because if I had not, I'd not know what I like. My predictions about what I might like were wrong (see the baritone, which for so long didn't even consider, and now it's such a pleasure).

Griffis
06-07-2016, 04:34 AM
I could happily get by with one, but years back I got up to 15. I have two now, and am satisfied (for now!) I like having a soprano for more strummy stuff, and I have a concert in low G for fingerpicking.

My wife has a baritone. I also have an old no-name soprano, but it needs work to be a player again.

But I love hearing about people's collections, seeing "family pics" and so on. What's cooler and more fun than being surrounded by ukuleles, or instruments in general?

For me, I just become more of a minimalist all the time. Others may buy a nice new uke every week and have every kind under the sun tuned every which way, and that's great!

Different players have different tastes, interests, goals (and leisure cash.)

spookelele
06-07-2016, 05:29 AM
because there's high g and low g, and sometimes you need them both?

Ukejenny
06-07-2016, 06:24 AM
I once knew a man who said he had 30 or 40 accordions hidden in his home. His wife thought he only had 4 or 5. So, you see, it could be a lot worse than a few lovely ukuleles laying around!

JackLuis
06-07-2016, 06:25 AM
I've only been playing about 18 months but I have seven Ukes in various sizes and tunings. If I had to choose just one it would be my Rubin Travel Tenor dGBE, because it sounds the best. I do play my 'standard size' tenor but it just doesn't have "IT" like my travel tenor.

I've been learning a new Willy Nelson song for SOTU and shifted it from Key of C to Key of D to avoid the 3211 F chord. This put the Rubin into D-G-E7-A7 which is especially beautiful on this uke. The re-entrant tuning sounds better than my Big Zebra Baritone, which I may switch to dGBE on it too, soon. On my Caramel standard tenor, also dGBE, it sounds good and I am learning to like the Caramels big voice, but the big tenor doesn't have the same sweet voice of my Rubin.

I tried out the song on my Caramel Concert, which sounds pretty good too, though it is 'too high' for me to sing with, it rings quite nicely.

Icould get along with just the Rubin, but I don't have too! Hoooray!

wayfarer75
06-07-2016, 06:38 AM
Own one, own a hundred. Who cares? (Except your spouse, maybe.)

1931jim
06-07-2016, 06:49 AM
Originally Posted by DownUpDave
It left me sitting at my kitchen table with a big silly grin on my face.

At 122 lbs I am super wimp size so it only takes me half a pint. giggle.

Trader Todd
06-07-2016, 06:49 AM

If it wasn't for this, I could be happy with just three...

Croaky Keith
06-07-2016, 07:38 AM
I do have a small, (by some peoples standards ;) ), collection of ukes, ranging from soprano to baritone.

I also have a very small, (by most harmonica peoples standards), collection of harmonicas, both diatonic & chromatic.

Plus, I have a Yamaha digital piano. At various times, I pick one up & have a play.

Even though I'm not much good at them, I enjoy having a go with them as my mood takes me. :)

I've always collected, (as an adult), & I think it is because I never had the chance/money when I was young, so I am enjoying just having them around me now.

janeray1940
06-07-2016, 07:50 AM

This is my reasoning (and I play both, every single day). But anything beyond that I don't consider a "need." Even after 7+ years of playing, I'm not curious about different woods or brands, I don't need a custom since I already have all I need, and I've explored other sizes and - meh. I like what I like, and I like to keep it simple. But - your mileage may vary!

Griffis
06-07-2016, 08:23 AM
This is my reasoning (and I play both, every single day). But anything beyond that I don't consider a "need." Even after 7+ years of playing, I'm not curious about different woods or brands, I don't need a custom since I already have all I need, and I've explored other sizes and - meh. I like what I like, and I like to keep it simple. But - your mileage may vary!

I am in that boat as well, Ms. Jane. To some extent, this is due to the fact that I already spent almost 4 decades buying, selling, swapping various instruments. There have been plenty of times I owned enough music gear to open my own shop. It was fun, but also a chore and a hassle to a degree, particularly when I was playing a lot of electric guitar and bass. So many "things" you can buy as accessories, new toys come out all the time...just eventually became a drag. A burden.

As I said in my earlier post on the thread, I completely endorse people buying and playing whatever they want. It's none of my business and I think it's cool as can be when a person enjoys having multiple ukes or other instruments, in whatever number, at whatever cost.

It's just not for me.

Part of the appeal of the uke for me is that it's so simple, takes up such little space. I can grab it out of its case or off the wall and immediately have fun, whereas when I was playing electric instruments, it was ALWAYS something--oh dang, broke a string...hmmm, the battery is dead on this effects pedal...why is my amp overheating?...why is this cord cutting out?...how long to I have to adjust settings and EQ until I get "just the right sound?"...I think I need to adjust my strap...where are those new picks I just bought?...and on. And on.

Heck, by the time I was ready to actually play, the preparation had taken so long something would come up and I'd have to set it all down again!

I realize (especially with acoustic instruments) things like construction (light, heavy, type of bracing, soundboard thickness, etc.) and of course wood type (mahogany vs. spruce vs. rosewood vs. you-name-it) all make a difference, but I feel like most players can make ONE uke (or guitar, etc.) produce many different sounds just by changing where you are playing (closer to bridge, closer to the neck, etc.) and by adjusting technique and so on. Not to mention what trying out a new set of strings will do for your overall tone.

I just personally have zero interest anymore in shopping rather than playing. I daydream about things, sometimes really wish for something specific, but then I grab one of my cheapies and start playing and the UAS soon passes. (Although I do lust for an old vintage Favilla, or Martin 0, I think a lot about a Black Bear soprano, or another banjo uke, or another reso uke, etc. So I'm susceptible, but in remission I guess?)

I could agonize all day about "man, if I had a solid spruce-top uke it might sound brighter than this one" or "I've always wanted to try cedar...it is so resonant on classical guitars" and all of that. But I don't see the point in it as far as my own enjoyments and aspirations. I'd rather add some old tunes to my repertoire or work on strumming styles, little tricks, etc. I don't need a big stable of instruments. The more I have the more it would keep me from playing the heck out of the meager ones I already own and love.

Again--this is just what works for me at this stage of my life. I still think it's great to hear from people who have more ukes than they can count!

janeray1940
06-07-2016, 08:32 AM
Part of the appeal of the uke for me is that it's so simple, takes up such little space. I can grab it out of its case or off the wall and immediately have fun, whereas when I was playing electric instruments, it was ALWAYS something--oh dang, broke a string...hmmm, the battery is dead on this effects pedal...why is my amp overheating?...why is this cord cutting out?...how long to I have to adjust settings and EQ until I get "just the right sound?"...I think I need to adjust my strap...where are those new picks I just bought?...and on. And on.

That simplicity is a big part of it for me too - not to mention the space factor (I live in a 250-square-foot house!). And that also explains why playing amplified, or owning an electric instrument, has no appeal for me at all. I absolutely hate fiddling with gadgetry or hardware of any kind.

I recently described a uke student as "interested only in the pursuit rather than in the mastery" - and I used this description because his approach reminded me of my younger self, always wanting to try something new (a new song! a new instrument!) rather than work on, and with, what I have. At some point as I neared the half-century mark on this planet, a switch flipped somewhere inside and I became determined to just focus on becoming passably good at one thing and one thing only rather than being distracted by everything new and shiny around me. Not sure if/when I'll achieve that, but - that's my plan :)

Down Up Dick
06-07-2016, 08:34 AM

Right on! I couldn't agree more. Even though I do have more than just a couple, they're all in different tunings and used for different purposes. I only have one (or maybe two) that I'd like to get rid of, but it's just too much trouble.
The rest will probably stay, and there will be no more (ukuleles).

My UAS is cured, but, alas, now I seem to have the way more expensive BAS--Ahhh, me . . . :old:

rappsy
06-07-2016, 08:37 AM
There is an old saying among hunters and shooters " beware the man with just one gun, he probably really knows how to use it".

The same can be said for musicans. If you have one guitar or ukulele you probably really know how to get the most out of it. There is a lot to be said for dedication to the art of pulling out all the sound you can from one instrument.

But ukes are different. A soprano has a different sound and soul and character than that possesed by a tenor or baritone. That is the joy and the main reason for UAS, experiencing those different sounds. I just played a piece on a tenor, a baritone and a tenor guitar. I throughly enjoyed each unique sound, what a treat. It left me sitting at my kitchen table with a big silly grin on my face.

So go forth and buy that different uke you have been curious about. Just ask "Mivo" about how glad he is for getting a baritone to go along with is beloved sopranos.

I get it Dave. You are a shill for the Ukulele industry. What's your angle? :rofl::rock:

Excellent idea for a thread, my friend.

Steedy
06-07-2016, 08:50 AM
High G, Low G, Soprano, Concert, Tenor, Acacia, Koa, Mahogany, Mango, Redwood, Rosewood, Spruce, etc. With a little restraint, one can cover all those options with only a couple dozen ukuleles. That's really all you need. :cool:

But while it is nice to have lots of different ukes, you end up spending more time caring for them than you do playing them all, and it gets a little tiresome. That's when it's time to thin the herd.

Griffis
06-07-2016, 09:42 AM
...alas, now I seem to have the way more expensive BAS--Ahhh, me . . . :old:

BAS as in "Bass Acquisition Syndrome?" I was primarily a bass player for maaaany years.

...while it is nice to have lots of different ukes, you end up spending more time caring for them than you do playing them all, and it gets a little tiresome. That's when it's time to thin the herd.

Hear, hear. That's the way it was for me with guitars & basses...keeping them stored properly, keeping them setup, keeping them strung and just otherwise maintained. Deciding which one(s) to take to a jam session, recording session, gig, etc., etc. It made my mind cluttered.

The real turning point for me was when, a couple months ago, I was cleaning out a back room and opened a closet we use just for storage (more "stuff" we haven't even looked at in years, boxed up and just moved around from place to place for...apparently no reason at all) and in the closet was a bass AND a guitar I had bought a few months previously with the intention of doing some modifications and repainting, and I had completely forgotten about them (!)

I am determined not to go down that road anymore and I am in the process of selling off ALL my electric-related gear. I have a couple of small recording units, a cheap mic, a handful of harmonicas (which I can barely play as yet) and the ukes I already mentioned. No plans for any more.

Yes, you could have a wife with 30 or 40 husbands hidden around the city.

Boo-yah!

Griffis
06-07-2016, 09:48 AM
That simplicity is a big part of it for me too - not to mention the space factor (I live in a 250-square-foot house!). And that also explains why playing amplified, or owning an electric instrument, has no appeal for me at all. I absolutely hate fiddling with gadgetry or hardware of any kind.

I recently described a uke student as "interested only in the pursuit rather than in the mastery" - and I used this description because his approach reminded me of my younger self, always wanting to try something new (a new song! a new instrument!) rather than work on, and with, what I have. At some point as I neared the half-century mark on this planet, a switch flipped somewhere inside and I became determined to just focus on becoming passably good at one thing and one thing only rather than being distracted by everything new and shiny around me. Not sure if/when I'll achieve that, but - that's my plan :)

Beautifully stated. Yes, if I had focused more (once again--more playing/learning and less shopping/wishing) on one, maybe two instruments over the years I started making music, I'd be pretty doggone good at something!

Instead it was drums, horns, violin, guitar, bass, banjo, mandolin, keyboards (for a while I was obsessed with, and collected, vintage analog synthesizers) and on and on.

With the ukulele back in my life, I feel like I have finally arrived at a destination rather than being forever on a journey in pursuit of something.

I mean, I will pursue learning new songs and playing techniques and skills in general, but you know what I mean.

In fact, my family (reduced now to three + a couple of dogs since my older daughter moved out to go to college) has been having multiple garage sales, putting instruments and other things on Craigslist, donating stuff to Goodwill, etc. rather aggressively. It feels light and wonderful. Other people can own all the "stuff" now, as I come more and more to realize that "stuff" is, for the most part, the least important part of living. I'd rather do with far less and have more freedom of mobility. I spent too many years loading 30-foot moving trucks full of me and my family's stuff. My new motto: "travel as lightly as possible."

Down Up Dick
06-07-2016, 09:59 AM
No, Griffis, BAS as in Banjo/Banjolele Acquisition Syndrome. :old:

Griffis
06-07-2016, 10:15 AM
No, Griffis, BAS as in Banjo/Banjolele Acquisition Syndrome. :old:

Ah. Thanks for clarifying.

I do reserve the right to perhaps acquire another banjo uke in the future IF I ended up playing in another acoustic/old time/jug sort of band again, simply for the volume. I really do like a good banjolele.

And banjo was the first "old time" instrument I took up oh, about 25 years ago. Fell for it so hard I played it almost exclusively for a couple of years, then I just put it down and moved on to other things. Still love them, but I just don't have the time (or finances--you're right, that's not a cheap instrument!)

Down Up Dick
06-07-2016, 10:20 AM
What kinda banjo did you play, Griffis? I play Irish and Clawhammer, and I'm trying to learn 2 finger/thumb lead. :old:

Joyful Uke
06-07-2016, 10:21 AM
Yes, you could have a wife with 30 or 40 husbands hidden around the city.

That would be the only way to not notice 30 or 40 accordions. LOL.

Griffis
06-07-2016, 10:34 AM
What kinda banjo did you play, Griffis? I play Irish and Clawhammer, and I'm trying to learn 2 finger/thumb lead. :old:

Just fingerpicking and clawhammer. I did for a time have an old 1930s Gibson tenor banjo that belonged to my grandfather (and which was destroyed in a flood along with nearly everything else my family owned) and I tried some Irish picking on that, but never too well. I became decent at the 5 string though. Ha--I remember my first banjo was an old Kay from the 60s that had a glitter/sparkle green finish. May have been all plastic or bakelite or something, or it could have had a wood rim and resonator that was covered by a funky, psychedelic drum shell material or something. Not sure, but it was an eyesore, yet compellingly bizarre.

drbekken
06-07-2016, 10:45 AM
Six soprano ukuleles
One banjo ukulele
Three tenor ukuleles
Five baritone ukuleles
One guitalele
Four acoustic guitars
Four diatonic accordions
Two acoustic pianos
Two digital pianos
One tuba
One tenor horn (my son's..)
A few diatonic harmonicas
One chromatic harmonica
One djembe

I guess that sums it up... The instruments are stashed at home, in my office or in a summer house we've got.. I will definitely downsize soon..my family and I will be moving in the fall; a good reason to clean house...

Griffis
06-07-2016, 10:52 AM
Six soprano ukuleles
One banjo ukulele
Three tenor ukuleles
Five baritone ukuleles
One guitalele
Four acoustic guitars
Four diatonic accordions
Two acoustic pianos
Two digital pianos
One tuba
One chromatic harmonica
One djembe

I guess that sums it up... The instruments are stashed at home, in my office or in a summer house we've got.. I will definitely downsize soon..my family and I will be moving in the fall; a good reason to clean house...

Wow. Sounds familiar (though I had more guitars and basses than ukes for the most part.)

Some guy I used to talk to on a bass player's forum owned 60 basses. 60. I thought about that for a minute and told him "If you just played one of those each day, in one year you would have only touched each one of them 5 or 6 times." I don't think he'd ever looked at it that way.

But let me proffer this disclaimer:

I am not trying to be a Debbie Downer!

Griffis
06-07-2016, 10:53 AM
Six soprano ukuleles
One banjo ukulele
Three tenor ukuleles
Five baritone ukuleles
One guitalele
Four acoustic guitars
Four diatonic accordions
Two acoustic pianos
Two digital pianos
One tuba
One chromatic harmonica
One djembe

Oh, and apparently you need a concert uke, stat. Or a few.

kohanmike
06-07-2016, 12:08 PM
When I bought my first uke, I didn't know anything about sizes, it was a soprano that just wasn't comfortable, so I bought a tenor and shortly after sold the soprano. Then I needed to get my tenor worked on and realized while it's in the shop, I had nothing to play, so I bought another as a spare. In the next year I went through 16 ukes, then decided to only keep the ones I really liked and culled them down to 4. But to me an important reason to have a second is in case the first is not available for one reason or another.

DownUpDave
06-07-2016, 12:39 PM
I get it Dave. You are a shill for the Ukulele industry. What's your angle? :rofl::rock:

Excellent idea for a thread, my friend.

My angle is to have all my friends own more ukuleles then me........win win.

Inksplosive AL
06-07-2016, 02:24 PM
Why? Because we can!

LDS714
06-07-2016, 03:49 PM
They all have different songs in them.

Griffis
06-07-2016, 04:12 PM

That is The Internet's Greatest Answer.

Griffis
06-07-2016, 04:16 PM

Oh man, just noticed your avatar and sig. Longtime bass slinger here, and I LOVE me some beautiful Rics. 4001s. Rule the world. What are you pushing those bass babies through?

Nickie
06-08-2016, 02:53 PM
This is a fun thread to read.
I however, am not going to explain to anyone why I own 3.5 ukes.
I don't care how many ukes one has, as long as one plays all of them, as they are playable.
I will say that I only have one didgeridoo that I can't yet play.

Joyful Uke
06-08-2016, 03:37 PM
This is a fun thread to read.
I however, am not going to explain to anyone why I own 3.5 ukes.

3.5? Build in progress that accounts for the .5? Or a terrible accident that resulted in the loss of 1/2 of a ukulele? Or...?

1931jim
06-08-2016, 04:06 PM
3.5? Build in progress that accounts for the .5? Or a terrible accident that resulted in the loss of 1/2 of a ukulele? Or...?

Brings to mind that old song......."If you ........love........me........half as much.......
as I..........love you"

Joyful Uke
06-08-2016, 04:50 PM
Brings to mind that old song......."If you ........love........me........half as much.......
as I..........love you"

Maybe that's it - Nickie only half loves one ukulele?
I'm guessing that it might be a shared ukulele, though?

UkingViking
06-08-2016, 07:39 PM
I played for a year, only have three for now.
One soprano, one concert and one tenor.

How many ukuleles are enough?
Just one

... more!

That will always be true I guess.

At some point I plan on selling my soprano and getting a better quality concert or longneck soprano, thus not having a bigger number of ukes in total.
My fingers are simply too big for the soprano, so I would rather sell it to someone who would use it, but keep my entry level concert for a spare that I can take outdoors etc.

LDS714
06-09-2016, 02:15 AM
Oh man, just noticed your avatar and sig. Longtime bass slinger here, and I LOVE me some beautiful Rics. 4001s. Rule the world. What are you pushing those bass babies through?

Depends on the situation. I usually try and use my Ampeg Portaflex, it's small, portable and has that Ampeg growl. Sometimes I'll roll out a Tubeworks combo. If it's outdoors with questionable monitor capabilities I'll use either an old Randall solid-state guitar head or the Portaflex with a line out into an old Peavey CS800 driving some assorted 12 and 15 cabs.

plunker
06-11-2016, 01:01 AM
The more the better. And you know, I learn something different from each ukulele.
Guitar players are the same. Look at the collections George Harrison had..... and what Clapton has too. George also supposedly had a uke in each room at his home, Friar Park. Of course, not many of us have 40+ room homes.

I guess I need to downsize to a five room house.

sharpedge
06-11-2016, 07:25 AM
Started with a Kala soprano (now sold on) then bought a Brunswick BU5 baritone tuned GCEA (now with a low G) and then a Tom slimline tenor which I have just tuned DGBE. This gives me the ability to join in with most tunes - just pick up the most appropriate instrument for the occasion. I take the baritone to play with the Uke3A group and the tenor to play with the folk group. I also have two tenor banjos (one tuned GCEA and the other DGBE for the same reason) ukulele tuning!

Rllink
06-11-2016, 08:07 AM
For the record, I have two ukes.

Griffis
06-12-2016, 02:27 AM
For the record, I have two ukes.

I may already need an intervention. For all my talk of keeping things minimal and being satisfied with my "two ukes," when I take a real inventory, there are actually FIVE ukuleles under this roof with me (!)

My two recent acquisitions--my players--are my Gretsch soprano and Mitchell concert.

But I also have an old 1950s-60s era no-name soprano I've had for 15 years or so. It was flood damaged in 2010 and needs work to be playable again, but even though it's only been a wall-hanger for a long time, technically it counts.

Then I've got a cigar box uke a friend made me several years back. It is also more of a decoration, but it does play.

The same friend who made the cigar box uke also gifted me with an inexpensive baritone uke recently, though that has become my wife's instrument.

Still, gotta keep a lid on this!

Croaky Keith
06-12-2016, 02:47 AM
Still, gotta keep a lid on this!
I think you need a tenor. ;)

DownUpDave
06-12-2016, 02:58 AM

No tenor.....no tenor....blasphemy. Griffis you call yourself and exguitar player but no tenor uke, the shame, the horror. :p

Ukulelerick9255
06-12-2016, 08:52 AM
For me it's because I don't want to take my Beau Hannam custom tenor to certain places like the beach so I also keep a second bang around Uke to take to the beach etc

sam13
06-12-2016, 03:26 PM

I agree. You need a Tenor. Like a good quality used Pono Pro Classic Tenor. Low G. You will love it.

D_X
06-12-2016, 04:27 PM
I had two, when I received my HUNI concert I gave my Córdoba to my gf.

When I get back to the US next year I'll hunt a tenor and be back to two, ill be happy.

In my case I'm a bit older and don't need things so much to be happy.

A tenor and the HUNI concert will fill my needs...

Rllink
06-12-2016, 05:52 PM
For me it's because I don't want to take my Beau Hannam custom tenor to certain places like the beach so I also keep a second bang around Uke to take to the beach etcExactly, it has nothing to do with tuning.

PhilUSAFRet
06-13-2016, 01:25 AM
I had only one uke for over 55 years.............and only knew one song. Then my interest piqued, I started buying ukes...quite a few, and now my memory is so bad that while I've played hundreds of songs, I still can only play the one by memory. :old:

Mivo
06-13-2016, 01:58 AM
Exactly, it has nothing to do with tuning.

For me, the tuning (not the tuning process) plays into the reason. Ever since I switched my tenor to fBbDG, I really like its sound, it's unlike my other ukuleles, as is the key. My smaller ukes use gCEA, and they have their own voice too, and are in the key of C. My baritone is now dGBE (yes, re-entrant, more on this later), and it also has a distinct sound, the key of G.

This is admittedly more variance than I'd ideally like (harder on my brain to remember where the notes are, which I want to be able to even if I play just by myself), but those are the tunings they sound best in to me, in my ears. Keeping three of those is an obvious choice, and I feel three is a good number, though one would be even better. Perhaps one day I'll be able to pick just one. :)

I'm just glad linear tuning doesn't do it for me, nor wound strings.

laffertyct
06-13-2016, 01:44 PM
I've only been playing 3 weeks and I already have two! Both are Makalas: one pink, one steampunk and I love them both!

1931jim
06-13-2016, 02:40 PM
Here I am just brimming with knowledge after the google thingamajigarooey told me the meaning of "steampunk".
Wow I mean double wow wow. As my great grand daughter would say "totally Awesome".
"Far Out" is not really where it is at these days grandpappy. giggle.

peanuts56
06-13-2016, 03:16 PM
Why not more than one? I have six. When I was playing trumpet on a regular basis I had five horns. There was a marvelous trumpeter named Lew Soloff who passed away last year. He's well known for having played with Blood, Sweat and Tears and many others. A story I heard is that he once brought 21 horns on an airplane as his carry on luggage!!!!!!

bnolsen
06-14-2016, 02:27 AM
I'm just glad linear tuning doesn't do it for me, nor wound strings.

and i keep my baritone linear tuned at CFAD. Talk about mellow. I only pick with it, and it has its own set of sheet music.

Inksplosive AL
06-14-2016, 09:16 AM
If a little is good,
more must be better.

So a whole lot is just right!

Griffis
06-15-2016, 03:31 AM

No tenor.....no tenor....blasphemy. Griffis you call yourself and exguitar player but no tenor uke, the shame, the horror. :p

I agree. You need a Tenor. Like a good quality used Pono Pro Classic Tenor. Low G. You will love it.

Ha...yeah, for some reason the tenor is the one uke size I've never dealt with much (well, I've never seen a sopranino in the wild to try out, but I doubt I could get above the third fret on one very accurately...)

I did briefly have a tenor several years back, but it was more my wife's, and we didn't have it very long.

I don't have anything against tenor ukes at all; I guess I just don't see the utility of them for me personally. I have a re-entrant soprano, a concert that I may end up tuning linear (right now it's high G) and the baritone tuned in linear, Chicago tuning.

These seem to cover my needs well, giving me range and variety. I think I'd be more likely to get another concert to keep one re-entrant and one linear, but right now it would be a waste for me to do that.

I'm not 86-ing the idea of ever going for a tenor, but I'm not in the market for anything at the moment.

I did play a few tenors when I was uke shopping recently and I did very much enjoy them. I like the scale of the neck, but for me they just seem like a longer scale concert. For some reason I just seem to skip that size and go from soprano to concert to bari.

VoiceofTJ
07-03-2016, 07:41 PM
I once knew a man who said he had 30 or 40 accordions hidden in his home. His wife thought he only had 4 or 5. So, you see, it could be a lot worse than a few lovely ukuleles laying around!

If he can hide 30-40 accordions, he is a genius, and I'll bet his kids NEVER found their Christmas presents.

bonesigh
07-04-2016, 05:30 AM
I akin it to collecting art. Now if only I could find the time to hang 'em on the wall. I have collected different wood boxes and display cases which are waiting to be hung so I can get my ukes out of their cases! I'm too busy playing and writings songs to get it done!