Tuning problem explination please

whistleman123

Reaction score
Why do I have to tune my e string 3 to 4 cents flat in order for the g fingered at the 3erd fret to be in tune. It's really starting to bug me!
I'm playing on an Aiersi Ovation style soprano strung with a set of low g Reds.
I know my uke is entry level, but does this also occur on more expensive/better quality ukes?

Why do I have to tune my e string 3 to 4 cents flat in order for the g fingered at the 3erd fret to be in tune. It's really starting to bug me!
I'm playing on an Aiersi Ovation style soprano strung with a set of low g Reds.
I know my uke is entry level, but does this also occur on more expensive/better quality ukes?
I don't know what is going on with your uke, but my $65 Makala doesn't have that problem, so it doesn't necessarily happen on cheap ukuleles either.

is it just the e string that needs this?

Sometimes strings don't behave right after they're old/streatched.

is it just the e string that needs this?

Sometimes strings don't behave right after they're old/streatched.

No, it's a brand new set of strings that have finally settled in. Yes, it is just the e string. Although not as noticable, the problem was there with the South Coast warm low g set I just took off. I'm really scratchingmy head on this one!

No, it's a brand new set of strings that have finally settled in. Yes, it is just the e string. Although not as noticable, the problem was there with the South Coast warm low g set I just took off. I'm really scratchingmy head on this one!

Take a look at the nut slot. Maybe the string is sitting too high. Also... maybe your saddle is too high? Is the action high?

The scale is built for a linear line. If the action is high, you have to push harder/farther before it contacts with the fret, and the extra stretch can make it go sharp. The closer to the middle of the fretboard, the more it has to actually move to touch the fret. I've seen this in ukes that also have alot of relief in the neck when you play in the middle. The extra bow makes you need to push the string farther to touch the fret, and then it goes a little sharp.

these are all just guesses.. so take it with a grain of salt.

Take a look at the nut slot. Maybe the string is sitting too high. Also... maybe your saddle is too high? Is the action high?

The scale is built for a linear line. If the action is high, you have to push harder/farther before it contacts with the fret, and the extra stretch can make it go sharp. The closer to the middle of the fretboard, the more it has to actually move to touch the fret. I've seen this in ukes that also have alot of relief in the neck when you play in the middle. The extra bow makes you need to push the string farther to touch the fret, and then it goes a little sharp.

these are all just guesses.. so take it with a grain of salt.

I think that is where you start. Since we are talking Reds, something to help the string slide through the nut slot would help, also, such as rubbing the slot or string with a pencil lead, to get graphite lube, or rub a piece of wax paper on the string at the slot or in the slot --- or you might think of something better. Manually helping even the tension through the slot (lifting it) helps, too.

Was the ukulele set up?

With sopranos especially, a lot also depends on how hard you press down the string. Have you tried to press harder or softer? in different places within the fret?

With sopranos especially, a lot also depends on how hard you press down the string. Have you tried to press harder or softer? in different places within the fret?

I thought that too, but it's only on one string.

There's also the direction you push.
One thing I've noticed, that when I fret over the body especially, I can push down and toward the bridge, which can help if it's naturally sharp </pun>

Last edited:
Was the ukulele set up?

2mm at 12th fret, so pretty low. I'll try graphite on the nut slot.

Could it be a defective string? It happens.

I usually start with a fresh set of strings (you did that) and then I check intonation with a capo on the first fret (to isolate the nut).

If things seem to be intonating properly up the neck with a capo then it's got to be the nut.

If it's only one string and it used to be fine at some point then I would guess it's the string bearing at the wrong point or not at all in the slot.

on the other hand, if you still have intonation problems with a capo on the first fret then maybe the saddle is worn and the string is bearing incorrectly there. I just did a similar check on my kamaka baritone and found it was wear on the saddle. A quick re-crown of the saddle top took care of it. I was surprised just how much difference a slight adjustment to the saddle profile made. The shorter the scale I suspect, the great this effect will be.

hello Bill, this is devon zhu in charge of aiersi uke. for your problem. i advise you to check nut or saddle first. just try to adjust string height . then you could try.

about our aiersi soprano ovation, i think it's good quality finish.even much lower price. in fact, we got some feedbacks from our other customers. once they play a little longer time, the sound is better.

sorry bother you this . maybe i think concert size is better for you .

devon zhu from aiersi ukulele

Top Bottom