Koalana

I only know Koaloha by reputation here on UU. Obviously, top notch.

So what's the difference(s) between a Koaloha and the new Koalana? If they are both made of the same woods by the same people in the same factory and have the same warranty....what allows the Koalana to be so much less expensive?

MGM...any insight?

I only know Koaloha by reputation here on UU. Obviously, top notch.

So what's the difference(s) between a Koaloha and the new Koalana? If they are both made of the same woods by the same people in the same factory and have the same warranty....what allows the Koalana to be so much less expensive?

MGM...any insight?

The craiglist page linked above says its solid mahogany (rather than koa) and is made in china (rather than in Hawaii).

But its still great looking, at least from those pics. :)

I've seen a few on graigslist here is Socal. Here is an example

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/msg/1096577616.html

Were they made before?

Yeah, they were discontinued in the last year or so. Judging by the marginal reviews, I'm guessing KoAloha pulled the plug on their budget line because the KoAlanas weren't up to their usual high standards of quality control. Some talk around the forums suggests that the new ones will be made at a different factory and should be a lot better.

Yeah, they were discontinued in the last year or so. Judging by the marginal reviews, I'm guessing KoAloha pulled the plug on their budget line because the KoAlanas weren't up to their usual high standards of quality control. Some talk around the forums suggests that the new ones will be made at a different factory and should be a lot better.

I spoke with someone at the KoAloha factory a few months ago and he told me that the plug was pulled b/c they were getting crap (not his words) and the QC had to be tightened.

The difference between the koalana and koaloha is wood (mahaghany vs. koa) and production site and labor (chinese vs. american).

Yeah, we weren't satisfied with the consistency of the quality from the previous runs of KoAlana. While some shipments were within acceptable margin of defects, others were pretty terrible.

Although they're built in China, we do expect a level of quality that wasn't being met. While we don't expect them to be the same as a KoAloha, they should still have a good fit and finish and good tone, as well as playability.

We have a small shipment coming in summer, as a test run for the same mahogany models, as well as a possible koa model. We'll see how it goes.

I wonder how they'll compare to the Koa Pili Koko solid acacia ukulele in value.

Top Bottom