Koa & Carpathian spruce tenor build by J. Rieck

Doc_J

Reaction score
My custom tenor from Josh Rieck is underway. So, thought I'd post some pics from Josh about the build. As the title indicates the top is Carpathian spruce and the body is AAAA koa. Ebony was selected for the pin-bridge and radiused fretboard. Fretboard, top, and back are to be bound in curly koa. It will have Waverly tuners and a side sound port. Going with EVO fretwire and W/B purfling.

Here's the first two pics, a gorgeous koa back and a cool rosette made from the same back wood. You might have seen the back in an earlier post about wood selection. But, the rosette pic is new.
IMG_0901_zpshtlapiv4.jpg

IMG_1016_zpswfplmury.jpg

It's going to be fun watching the build on this. Thanks for inviting us to be a part of the birthing process.

Last edited:
This will be wonderful to watch. I mean that rosette is amazing and so is the Koa for the back. Good stuff Hodge.

Suhweet!!!

Wow, the rosette with the Carpathian Spruce looks fantastic. I'm sure when finished the AAAA Koa will make this a special looking and sounding ukulele. I'd love to hear the Carpathian Spruce sound sample down the road as I'm so into spruce tops. Congratulations Hodge.

Oh, I am so looking forward to updates on this build. Gonna be sublime. I was interested in the "Carpathian" spruce. I had the pleasure of wandering the Carpathians a few years back fairly extensively. Wish I'd thought to harvest some nice wood, not that I could have gotten it through customs...

here is my Lfdm on the left with a Carpathian Spruce top and Bastogne Walnut back and sides....
Andreas is using a thumb pick so it sounds brighter than when I play with the pads of my finger.....very clear mids and highs but nice deep tones too(Thanks Luis) I think Carpathian is my favorite Spruce.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsrSysVsX0M

Last edited:
Hey Hodge ... this looks fabulous.

Len ... Andreas makes that LfDM sound marvellous.

here is my Lfdm on the left with a Carpathian Spruce top and Bastogne Walnut back and sides....
Andreas is using a thumb pick so it sounds brighter than when I play with the pads of my finger.....very clear mids and highs but nice deep tones too(Thanks Luis) I think Carpathian is my favorite Spruce.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsrSysVsX0M

Thanks everyone for your kind words.

Regarding the wood selection, Josh asked me what type of music I played, how I played, and what were my tone/sound preferences. Based on all that, he recommended a Carpathian spruce and koa combination.
So, that's where it started.

Thanks everyone for your kind words.

Regarding the wood selection, Josh asked me what type of music I played, how I played, and what were my tone/sound preferences. Based on all that, he recommended a Carpathian spruce and koa combination.
So, that's where it started.

Off topic, but I just noticed your avatar--spitting image of one of my two doggies. Daaaaawwww!

So eager to see the development of this build, Hodge. Keep sharing!

Beautiful start to what will surely be a stunner Uke Hodge. I really love that rosette.

New pictures of the sides, top and back. The bracing and structural details of construction show a lot of thought and experience into the design. Looks like the top bracing is composed primarily of spruce, with some mahogany and rosewood at key locations. Very interesting. I'm guessing the asymmetry of the design helps bring out the bass.

IMG_1058_zps6dao6ccp.jpg

IMG_1060_zpsablo4m08.jpg

IMG_1054_zpsbgopwk5t.jpg

Last edited:
Oh what a gorgeous instrument this will be! The rosette and koa are to-die-for. And I would love to know the secrets behind the different woods in the bracing.

Very cool. Thanks for sharing!

Hodge, when you take delivery and do a NUD sure would be interested in hearing this ukulele. Build looks fantastic and love the spruce top/
I bet you can't wait to play this one.
Cheers

Coolio! This is definitely gonna be a one of a kind uke!

Hodge, when you take delivery and do a NUD sure would be interested in hearing this ukulele. Build looks fantastic and love the spruce top/
I bet you can't wait to play this one.
Cheers

Yes, I have high expectations for this tenor. There's no target finish date, but I'd guess it will be ready by mid to late August. Josh has been great about sending photos. Will definitely do a NUD for this one. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom