Whadayacallit?

JackLuis

Reaction score
My name is Jack and I'm a strummer.

I don't pick notes much at all. Though I emphasize notes by varying my strum patterns and finger/nail balance to pick out the last string of a chord or maybe the top string on an up stroke.

Anyway, what do you call it when you try to strum to the lyric trying to make the instrument sing the song? I'm a fan of instrumental music, unlike most other Uke players, who are singers. I'm trying to sing a little as a test of my breath control and reasons...

Now a lot of times you can get by with a d-d-u-d or some other simple pattern, but Willy Nelson just throws me out in left field! Somehow he double shuffles patterns in his lyrics, yet when you watch him play he's right on the beat?

Or maybe I need a trio backing me up?

I think what you're describing is chord-melody. Just out some of Kimo Hussey's videos.

Google Ukulele Mike Lynch for a wealth of resource for chord melody.

Lots of the Dr Uke site songs have you follow the melody by strumming.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Mr Nelson is a great jazz guitarist in a country disguise. His "secret" is knowing the fretboard better than the back of his hand. That takes time . maybe this will help. Aaron is the man. You may want to get this Lyle Ritz book he flashes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh2KRNrp77Y

Last edited:
I think it's called strumming...

James Hill has a two part crash course on chord melodies on YouTube:

Yeah Mivo, I have seen those but revisiting them gave me a understanding I had lost. Thanks for the reminder. I have made some progress with my Willy song, I tried playing a little faster and found the rhythm a bit better. Maybe not the same as Willy's free and easy style but I don't have his note picking fillings for ornamentation. :music:

I have found watching myself play on videos helpful at accessing strum movements and watching yourself play gives you a muscle memory of things, while you can drink beer too. :cheers:

I've pretty much restricted myself to simple songs 3-5 chords and kind of focused on C or G keys when playing Lo G C tuning, but I have gained a new appreciation of the Key of D on my Bari-Tenor. Or maybe it's just my Rubin? I've practiced using my Big Zebra and the linear G just doesn't sound like a Ukulele to me. But boy does it sound big! I'll break down soon and put a high D on it soon maybe...? Well after this Season.

Real soon, after I learn to sing a little better, as in being able to have an whole octave, I try some fancier finger picking stuff.

Last edited:
I think it's called strumming...

That too. I probably need to be more regimented in my patterns on some songs. I have done that for "Battle Hymn of the Republic", basis for "Blood On The Risers" an old trooper song I sang for my Army Reunion. But even there I found that slight ornamentation of the strum and timing made a lot of difference. I need to video that to see if I know what I'm talking about?

But Ukuleles are Fun!

that's the most important part...:shaka:

Yep Ukuing around has changed my attitude a lot. It took me many months to get to the point where I wanted to play in public. (I'm shy.:rolleyes: 'specialy when I sounded bad.) My finger-fu is still pretty limited, but I try to make up for that with my Strum-fu. I still like pure instrumental work, but I think I'll work on sing-fu rather than finger picking next. I've never sang much and don't even like the sound of my own voice, mostly because I was embarrassed by my off key-ness. However I realize that if I don't exercise my voice, it will never improve. Like avoiding an E chord, if you never attempt it, you'll be limited.

I watched the James Hill videos last night and recorded practicing my Willy N song. Just that, seemed to help me make a breakthrough and I had the beat, almost. I woke up this morning with Willy singing in my head, (the echo effect was cool,) and I had the rhythm and timing. After another cupa, I'll try another recording to see if that made any difference to my playing. Last night I was playing too fast but had a handle on it. Now I need to slow it down and still keep the rhythm and chord shifts clean.

You guys have helped me make a lot of progress, with your support of my fumbling. Thanks UU.

Top Bottom