PDA

View Full Version : FS (UK) 100th Anniversary Kamaka Longneck Pineapple

TheBathBird
06-09-2016, 05:27 AM
This came from Mim a couple of months ago, but recently the opportunity has come up to buy my dream uke, so sadly this beauty has to go. I have to say, I adore this uke. It sounds so sweet, and is an absolute joy to play, I just love the Kamaka neck shape.

Concert neck on a soprano body, joins at the 14th fret. All solid koa, with a lovely curve in the grain around the bookmatch, almost like a real pineapple :)
Great tone, excellent intonation, it plays beautifully right up the neck. Super-smooth geared Gotoh UPT tuners. Rosewood fingerboard and bridge, compensated saddle (I think it's Tusq, as is the nut). Very high quality Kamaka hard case.

I got it at a discounted price because Mim accidentally dinged it, I have photographed the ding, which is on the back and not very noticeable. I have played it a lot, and there is an area of shine in the semi-gloss finish on the A string side of the soundhole. It may be play wear, or I may have accidentally caused it while over zealously attempting to remove a fingerprint. There is also a little shine on the corner of the lower bout, where your arm rests.

I'm asking 550 including UK postage. But I need to sell, so I'm open to sensible offers.

Here are the inevitable sideways photos:

More photos in next post...

TheBathBird
06-09-2016, 05:33 AM
The area of shine is visible in the first of these photos (more visible than it is "in the flesh" to be honest). The second photo shows the ding.

TheBathBird
06-09-2016, 05:39 AM
Some more pics...

TheBathBird
06-09-2016, 05:41 AM
I'll try to record a sound sample later, there's also a video of this uke on Mim's YouTube channel, I'll try to post the link to that as well.

Thanks for looking :)

TheBathBird
06-09-2016, 07:39 AM
Here's a quick video recorded on my ipad, not great sound I'm afraid.

http://youtu.be/JMWccE6EStQ

YorkSteve
06-09-2016, 08:16 AM
Ooohhhh....resist, resist...somebody snap this up quickly before I have to sell a body part. Or a child. This sounds so sweet - mmmmmm...

Mattyukaholic
06-09-2016, 11:15 AM
Ooohhhh....resist, resist...somebody snap this up quickly before I have to sell a body part. Or a child. This sounds so sweet - mmmmmm...
Do it Steve! What a lovely uke. Tempted myself but I'm Kamaka'd out!

TheBathBird
06-09-2016, 11:27 AM
Thanks guys (Feel free not to resist, Steve, I'm flexible on the price :) )

sam13
06-09-2016, 12:26 PM
Sweet sounding Uke and excellent playing!

TheBathBird
06-09-2016, 07:55 PM
Thank you, Sam!

TheBathBird
06-10-2016, 08:31 AM
I've lowered the price to 575, I'll be sticking it on ebay this weekend. This one's got to go :(

spongeuke
06-13-2016, 07:39 PM
I've played, owned and rescued several 1920s Kamaka Pineapples. It is my opinion, that the new ones are much better built and this one and no doubt a future classic. I would covet this one but I'm currently thinning the herd due to age and perhaps some guilt over the hoarding. Wish I could play that well.

TheBathBird
06-14-2016, 12:35 AM
Thank you, Sponge!

Cheeky offers considered, people... ;)

Steedy
06-14-2016, 05:51 AM
You may want to consider rotating those sideways photos to an upright orientation in order to better display the details of such a lovely ukulele.

pahu
06-14-2016, 09:33 AM
I love my (older) Long neck Pineapple...and you played such a lovely arrangement.
Would you share with us?

TheBathBird
06-15-2016, 04:10 AM
You may want to consider rotating those sideways photos to an upright orientation in order to better display the details of such a lovely ukulele.

Thanks Steedy, I certainly would if I could work out how. I have never yet managed to get a photo the right way up on this site, and it doesn't help that I only have easy access to UU on my ipad or phone.

TheBathBird
06-15-2016, 04:14 AM
I love my (older) Long neck Pineapple...and you played such a lovely arrangement.
Would you share with us?

Thank you Pahu :)

The first little bit was part of David Beckingham's arrangement of Stardust, and the second was the beginning of Smeck's Ukulele Waltz (Winnin' Boy's version, I think). When I get a chance later I'll add the links to this post.

TABS:

Stardust: http://ukulelehunt.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/stardust.pdf

Magic Ukulele Waltz: http://ukuleledavarnaudd.free.fr/documents/magic%20ukulele%20waltz%20-%20wininboy.pdf

cml
06-15-2016, 05:58 AM
Thanks Steedy, I certainly would if I could work out how. I have never yet managed to get a photo the right way up on this site, and it doesn't help that I only have easy access to UU on my ipad or phone.
It's easy actually :)! Do NOT take photos in landscape orientation on a smartphone or tablet, at least not if you intend to upload them directly without editing. Keep your device in an upright portrait orientation. The thing with these devices is that they auto-rotate pictures in the device, which you lose when you transfer it to say a computer or upload it to UU. But if you keep it in portrait orientation, you shouldnt have any issues.

TheBathBird
06-15-2016, 08:40 AM
It's easy actually :)! Do NOT take photos in landscape orientation on a smartphone or tablet, at least not if you intend to upload them directly without editing. Keep your device in an upright portrait orientation. The thing with these devices is that they auto-rotate pictures in the device, which you lose when you transfer it to say a computer or upload it to UU. But if you keep it in portrait orientation, you shouldnt have any issues.

Thanks for the tip cml, I kind of feel like some of those photos were in portrait mode, but I may be wrong. If I get time I'll retake them, although the uke's on ebay now (with pics the right way up!)

cml
06-15-2016, 09:01 AM
Thanks for the tip cml, I kind of feel like some of those photos were in portrait mode, but I may be wrong. If I get time I'll retake them, although the uke's on ebay now (with pics the right way up!)
I might be mixing them up...take two photos in both orientations and we'll see...hope this lovely uke sells soon!

arpie
06-15-2016, 07:50 PM
Gorgeous Uke & lovely sound samples!! You make it all look so effortless!! I am sure your Cello experience shows in how beautifully you play. Well done.

Sadly, much as I'd LOVE to have the 100th Anniversary Pineapple Uke:drool: ..... my husband would divorce me if I got any more!! :(

I am sure this will go to a loving home!
cheers
Roberta

TheBathBird
06-16-2016, 05:46 AM
I might be mixing them up...take two photos in both orientations and we'll see...hope this lovely uke sells soon!

Thanks cml! And yes, I probably ought to engage in a little photo experimentation :)

TheBathBird
06-16-2016, 05:51 AM
Thank you, Roberta, that's very lovely of you!

I suspect that my husband will divorce me if I don't sell this one, but hey ho, every cloud and all that... ;)

Victoria.

Gorgeous Uke & lovely sound samples!! You make it all look so effortless!! I am sure your Cello experience shows in how beautifully you play. Well done.

Sadly, much as I'd LOVE to have the 100th Anniversary Pineapple Uke:drool: ..... my husband would divorce me if I got any more!! :(

I am sure this will go to a loving home!
cheers
Roberta

TheBathBird
06-17-2016, 08:10 AM
PRICE DROP! 550 inc UK postage.

Counter
06-24-2016, 07:55 AM
Do you have any bigger or better photos of the damage?

bonesigh
06-24-2016, 08:06 AM
I say just forget about the ding and buy this thing if you can. I know I would if I could!!

TheBathBird
06-24-2016, 09:15 AM
Do you have any bigger or better photos of the damage?

Hi Counter, I've only got the camera on my phone, but I've tried to take a couple of better photos (with 10p piece for scale :) )

If you want to PM me your email address I can try sending bigger photos.

TheBathBird
06-24-2016, 09:15 AM
I say just forget about the ding and buy this thing if you can. I know I would if I could!!

Bless your heart, Bonesigh :)

Uke man
06-24-2016, 10:37 AM
I'd buy it at that price if it was stateside. You won't have to worry about that first ding or nick. Doesn't affect the instrument, only the cosmetics.

Counter
06-24-2016, 10:46 AM
C
Hi Counter, I've only got the camera on my phone, but I've tried to take a couple of better photos (with 10p piece for scale :) )

If you want to PM me your email address I can try sending bigger photos.

PM sent

TheBathBird
06-28-2016, 11:27 PM
SOLD. Thanks, UU.