FS (UK) 100th Anniversary Kamaka Longneck Pineapple

Status
Not open for further replies.

TBB

TheBathBird
UU VIP
Reaction score
This came from Mim a couple of months ago, but recently the opportunity has come up to buy my dream uke, so sadly this beauty has to go. I have to say, I adore this uke. It sounds so sweet, and is an absolute joy to play, I just love the Kamaka neck shape.

Concert neck on a soprano body, joins at the 14th fret. All solid koa, with a lovely curve in the grain around the bookmatch, almost like a real pineapple :)
Great tone, excellent intonation, it plays beautifully right up the neck. Super-smooth geared Gotoh UPT tuners. Rosewood fingerboard and bridge, compensated saddle (I think it's Tusq, as is the nut). Very high quality Kamaka hard case.

I got it at a discounted price because Mim accidentally dinged it, I have photographed the ding, which is on the back and not very noticeable. I have played it a lot, and there is an area of shine in the semi-gloss finish on the A string side of the soundhole. It may be play wear, or I may have accidentally caused it while over zealously attempting to remove a fingerprint. There is also a little shine on the corner of the lower bout, where your arm rests.

I'm asking £550 including UK postage. But I need to sell, so I'm open to sensible offers.

Here are the inevitable sideways photos:

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

More photos in next post...

Last edited:
The area of shine is visible in the first of these photos (more visible than it is "in the flesh" to be honest). The second photo shows the ding.

image.jpgimage.jpg

I'll try to record a sound sample later, there's also a video of this uke on Mim's YouTube channel, I'll try to post the link to that as well.

Thanks for looking :)

Here's a quick video recorded on my ipad, not great sound I'm afraid.

Ooohhhh....resist, resist...somebody snap this up quickly before I have to sell a body part. Or a child. This sounds so sweet - mmmmmm...

Thanks guys (Feel free not to resist, Steve, I'm flexible on the price :) )

Sweet sounding Uke and excellent playing!

I've lowered the price to £575, I'll be sticking it on ebay this weekend. This one's got to go :(

I've played, owned and rescued several 1920s Kamaka Pineapples. It is my opinion, that the new ones are much better built and this one and no doubt a future classic. I would covet this one but I'm currently thinning the herd due to age and perhaps some guilt over the hoarding. Wish I could play that well.

Thank you, Sponge!

Cheeky offers considered, people... ;)

You may want to consider rotating those sideways photos to an upright orientation in order to better display the details of such a lovely ukulele.

I love my (older) Long neck Pineapple...and you played such a lovely arrangement.
Would you share with us?

You may want to consider rotating those sideways photos to an upright orientation in order to better display the details of such a lovely ukulele.

Thanks Steedy, I certainly would if I could work out how. I have never yet managed to get a photo the right way up on this site, and it doesn't help that I only have easy access to UU on my ipad or phone.

I love my (older) Long neck Pineapple...and you played such a lovely arrangement.
Would you share with us?

Thank you Pahu :)

The first little bit was part of David Beckingham's arrangement of Stardust, and the second was the beginning of Smeck's Ukulele Waltz (Winnin' Boy's version, I think). When I get a chance later I'll add the links to this post.

TABS:

Stardust: http://ukulelehunt.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/stardust.pdf

Magic Ukulele Waltz: http://ukuleledavarnaudd.free.fr/documents/magic ukulele waltz - wininboy.pdf

Last edited:
Thanks Steedy, I certainly would if I could work out how. I have never yet managed to get a photo the right way up on this site, and it doesn't help that I only have easy access to UU on my ipad or phone.
It's easy actually :)! Do NOT take photos in landscape orientation on a smartphone or tablet, at least not if you intend to upload them directly without editing. Keep your device in an upright portrait orientation. The thing with these devices is that they auto-rotate pictures in the device, which you lose when you transfer it to say a computer or upload it to UU. But if you keep it in portrait orientation, you shouldnt have any issues.

It's easy actually :)! Do NOT take photos in landscape orientation on a smartphone or tablet, at least not if you intend to upload them directly without editing. Keep your device in an upright portrait orientation. The thing with these devices is that they auto-rotate pictures in the device, which you lose when you transfer it to say a computer or upload it to UU. But if you keep it in portrait orientation, you shouldnt have any issues.

Thanks for the tip cml, I kind of feel like some of those photos were in portrait mode, but I may be wrong. If I get time I'll retake them, although the uke's on ebay now (with pics the right way up!)

Thanks for the tip cml, I kind of feel like some of those photos were in portrait mode, but I may be wrong. If I get time I'll retake them, although the uke's on ebay now (with pics the right way up!)
I might be mixing them up...take two photos in both orientations and we'll see...hope this lovely uke sells soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom