NUD: Ko'olau Koa Tenor T2 from HMS

SoloRule

Reaction score
I came across this T2 Koa model by accident while browsing HMS site on a miserable cold night in April . I asked Corey Fujimoto what he thinks of this uke. This was the first time he got so excited over any of the uke I enquired in the past . I knew right the way , this must be something very special.

Weight of the instrument is very important to me. This Ko'olau is very light weight. In fact, I can barely feel the weight on my neck. I kept it in High G tuning just because I feel that Koa belongs to reentrant tuning. Corey recommended Southcoast Medium Gauge firm tension. It sings beautifully with crystal clear tone. Great sustain and full volume all the way up and down the neck.

I like to mention this is a 12 inch radius fretboard which is a lot more noticeable than Pono classic series. I took a close up picture to show the radius board. The wood is beautiful and the back "bookmark" is matched perfectly. Noa Bonk did an excellent job !!

The action is super super low. One day I played 8 hour straight , did not give me sore fingers ( I don’t have calluses built up from pervious practice).

To sum this up : The feel of this instrument is like driving a car that has great handling. You don't mind driving all day. .

Our UU member Tim gave me permission to use this video as sound sample . I would have used landscape mode if I knew I was going to post it here. Ko'olau is as good as it's reputation. Very very happy with my 'impulse buy' . I feel very lucky and blessed to own this beauty.

Thank you Andrew , Corey, Joel and Zach at HMS for your unparalleled customer service. My uke journey would not be as colourful and FUN without all of you. Zach took this picture for me of master Joel holding the uke .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTfFTxXN56Q

IMG_6659.jpgBACK.jpgBOTTOM.jpgFRONT.jpgSOUNDHOLE.jpgIMG_6659.jpg

Brenda, I am so proud of you for doing such a good and proper NUD, this instrument deserves it.

I was there in the background at Brenda's when she taped Tim playing it. This Ko'olau is one of the best reentrant strung ukuleles I have every played. Brenda can play, trust me, she can make this puppy sing. Congratulations you two were made for each other

Poor Simon he has not held it nor played it yet :p

Yes I forgot to mention the video also gave you SOUND SAMPLE of downupdave. Now you know what he sounds like.

Having a great uke doesn't stop there.
You need great song arrangements to fully appreciate its potential! I have been extremely blessed to have camsuke writing and arranging so many beautiful classical pieces for me!
Of course having friends sharing the passion is equally important and make the journey that much more colourful !

So I finally get see and hear this Uke.

It sounds really fabulous ... congrats.

Congratulations!

congrats Brenda...nice Ko'olau.....i just told Corey to check out the post......hanging out at the store today......

But but but you did not hang out there when I asked you to bless the Ko'olau.:D

your uke never made it to the store..it was in Andrews office at the warehouse....but I saw it get boxed up.....I wrote a note on the box before it was shipped out.....:)

Beautiful Brenda. Use it well and look forward to hearing it as well.

your uke never made it to the store..it was in Andrews office at the warehouse....but I saw it get boxed up.....I wrote a note on the box before it was shipped out.....:)

What note? I didn't see any? Oh wait wait ....I see it now. ha ha I totally missed that. The box is sitting in my office. You have been here all along. You blessed the box instead.

Congratulations Brenda, great catch! If I were to keep just one uke, it would probably be my Ko'olau. Such a lively voice, and so much clarity.

Last edited:
Beautiful Brenda. Use it well and look forward to hearing it as well.

Lenny
Your customer Tim played it in the video. He couldn't put it down. It's bright.......may be you need to do a custom order . hint hint hint

Congratulations! That's a beautiful ukulele and it sounds great!

What note? I didn't see any? Oh wait wait ....I see it now. ha ha I totally missed that. The box is sitting in my office. You have been here all along. You blessed the box instead.

And any ukulele that gets blessed by Len is superspecial. I've considered bringing a different one of my ukuleles with me every time I get to see Len on Oahu just to increase the number of ukes with the good mojo.

haha...I should of written on the mailing label but did not want to mess around with the label so I thought you would see it on the box..i did see/play the uke one of the better ones.....I blessed the box so it would get through customs quicker....lol

Hey Mark....bring all your ukes here...festival coming sonn!!

What a beautiful instrument! Congratulations!

Top Bottom