Thrift Store find of the day

ESP001

Reaction score
Found this little gem at a thrift store in Phoenix, AZ. I was walking around when I heard a commotion ahead of me. Another customer had just knocked over what sounded like a guitar but, it turned out to be a dusty Lanikai standard in what looked like pretty good condition. After a quick inspection, a few strums for tone, and a price tag of $20.00, (sold for $16 with the discount) I purchased the ukulele and took it home. The strings were pretty shot and incorrectly installed so I yanked them and gave my new toy a good cleaning. A trip to Richard Chapman (luthier and, all around good egg) for another inspection and new Aquila Red Series strings, and it was tuning time. Still stretching but the sound is good. Better than my Kala but no where near my 1960 Kamaka Gold Label. Glad to have it for road trips and flights. I'm hoping this isn't the beggining of another collection. Ha!

image.jpg

Last edited:
Nothing better than a good thrift store find! Enjoy!

Better than my Kala but no where near my 1960 Kamaka Gold Label... I'm hoping this isn't the beggining of another collection. Ha!
so you admit to three? That's already a collection. I'd say it's too late for you. :p

That gives me hope in my search.
I'm looking for old, forgotten, broken.
My wife says its because I'm cheap.
I say it's because I can give them a chance :)

"Agreed" to all of the above. Ha! My Kamaka was a "Charlie Brown Christmas tree" of a ukulele I found on eBay. I'm always up for a second chance. (and another collection) The Kala will be a gift to a young guitar player I know. I think he'll enjoy it more than he thinks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom