New String Day (Fremont Soloist Low G)

robinboyd

Reaction score
A while back I posted asking for advice on low G alternatives to the wound Aquila that I had tried in the past and was not happy with. I ended up buying a set of PHDs and a Fremont Soloist single string. It turns out that my slot bridge was too narrow at the G slot to fit either in (for some reason the wound Aquila fit). Anyway, several months later, I found the courage to attack the slot with some sand paper and I strung it with the PHDs. Unfortunately the knot undid itself on the C string after I had already trimmed the end, and I was unable to restring it, so they ended up in the bin, so I strung it with the Fremont low G and Aquila CEA. Anyway, I really like it. It is really smooth and doesn't squeak, and it has a really nice mellow sound compared to the other low G strings I have tried. I'll try PHDs again when this one wears out, but if they don't work out, I will definitely return to the Fremont.

The PHD's work great with the Fremont Soloist. In fact, this is my favorite low G combo. Both my Moore Bettah and Kamaka Ohta-San are strung this way. The Soloist balances out nicely with the PHD's.

The PHD's work great with the Fremont Soloist. In fact, this is my favorite low G combo. Both my Moore Bettah and Kamaka Ohta-San are strung this way. The Soloist balances out nicely with the PHD's.

+1 for PHD strings. Great strings. I also like the PHD/Fremont G combo for my Pono mango tenor.

Upon the advice of resouker, getting them for my reso's.

Top Bottom