FS Custom Koll Arched top & Back Tenor of spruce and birdseye maple

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc_J

Reaction score
SOLD Custom Koll Arched top & Back Tenor of spruce and birdseye maple

This is a gorgeous custom uke, built in Portland, OR by Master Luthier Saul Koll. Signed by the builder on the inside label, dated 2/10, number 10365.

The workmanship is amazing. It has a hand-carved, arched spruce top and a hand-carved, arched birdseye maple back, with birds-eye maple sides. Even the neck is birdseye maple made of three sections with a dark wood (walnut?) separating the sections. Two, beautifully executed, bound f-holes are on the top. The headplate and radiused fretboard are ebony, and there is cream celluloid binding everywhere (top, back, fretboard, f-holes, headplate). Gloss finish with a satin finished back that is lightly stained (clever idea to prevent uke slipping). Pearl inlaid logo, fretmarkers, and heel cap. Quality Gotoh gold tuners on the headstock. There’s a brass tailpiece, bone nut and maple floating saddle It's a very clean design. Fretwork is outstanding. Fit and finish are spot on.

It has a comfortable, thinnish, flattish D-shaped neck (similar to the Ono) a 1/16" under 5/8" deep at the nut, 1-7/16" wide there. Body side depth is 2-7/8" (w/o the top and back arches). Action is nice and low, no buzz. Intonation is darn good (just about spot on at the 12th). 14 frets to the body, 21 frets, over all on the cantilevered fretboard. Hard Case included.

Overall in great condition. However, the back had a 1 inch split that was repaired, unfortunately the line shows in certain light (pics to follow). The gloss top finish has two minor craze lines on the lower bout (at the bottom of the bass side f-hole and under the brass bridge.

Saul Koll makes all varieties of custom stringed instruments but is best known for his guitars, before seeing this instrument. But, I'm impressed with his work.

Recent sound sample in re-entrant C-tuning with Nylgut string and D'Addario wound C string
https://app.box.com/s/8wvkobhowajjn4drmhtw4wkk85nt73nl

SOLD.

P1070772_zpsianm6ekv.jpg

P1070773_zpsfl3q8pvs.jpg

P1070777_zpsznjmmlhg.jpg

P1070774_zpsia1pscjq.jpg

Last edited:
Pictures showing the repaired back crack and the 2 front finish craze lines.

P1070783_zpsev4gia24.jpg

P1070782_zpsmzj09nvu.jpg

P1070781_zpsgmad94x3.jpg

Hi Doc. Who did the repairs to the back crack and how did they fix it? Is the crack cleated inside? Did the crack follow along the binding? It looks as though it did. Thanks in advance.

I know how much you enjoyed this one, so someone should get a real special Uke.

If you've never dealt with Hodge before you are in for a real treat. Best on the sale.

Hi Doc. Who did the repairs to the back crack and how did they fix it? Is the crack cleated inside? Did the crack follow along the binding? It looks as though it did. Thanks in advance.

Hi Tim, I don't know the repair luthier, as it was repaired when I bought it from the original owner. There is no cleat on the inside, probably because it is small and on a curved surface. The kerfing covers part of it. My guess is it might have happened when the binding channel was routed, hard to say. Here is a picture of the inside of that area (through an f-hole). Looks good, sealed and tight.

I know how much you enjoyed this one, so someone should get a real special Uke.

If you've never dealt with Hodge before you are in for a real treat. Best on the sale.

Thanks Lenny, you're too kind.

96028bfb-8455-4c87-b3f8-7302dc29348d_zpstihkfcez.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom