New bridge for old Martin

jbm

Reaction score
Shout out to Paul Unkert in Toms River NJ for the beautiful job on this reproduction bridge for my 1920 style 1 soprano. Strings just kept popping out of the old bridge slots.

File Jun 11, 12 55 47 PM.jpg
image.jpg

Nice reproduction. Excellent workmanship. Thanks for posting it, Joe. Seems like Paul might be the "go to" person for a bridge reproduction.

Is the chewed out bridge an original Martin? Maybe it is, just none of mine are one piece so I don't know so thought I'd ask.

Like this (but Style 1 has black saddle): 180u-2262_bridge.jpg

Again, maybe there are others from the 1920s that are unlike the ones I have seen, though.

Last edited:
Nice reproduction. Excellent workmanship. Thanks for posting it, Joe. Seems like Paul might be the "go to" person for a bridge reproduction.

Is the chewed out bridge an original Martin? Maybe it is, just none of mine are one piece so I don't know so thought I'd ask.

Like this (but Style 1 has black saddle): View attachment 91805

Again, maybe there are others from the 1920s that are unlike the ones I have seen, though.

Yes, the chewed up one is original. The maple insert is one of the things that dates this dates this along with a dot at fret 9 instead of 10. That's why I had him use maple for the new one.

Yes, the chewed up one is original. The maple insert is one of the things that dates this dates this along with a dot at fret 9 instead of 10. That's why I had him use maple for the new one.

Thanks for the info, Joe. I see online that the earliest Style 1s were 1918, and the "earliest examples with boxwood bridge saddle and nut". So, yours must be one of the very earliest with great value. Certainly worth the restoration. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the info, Joe. I see online that the earliest Style 1s were 1918, and the "earliest examples with boxwood bridge saddle and nut". So, yours must be one of the very earliest with great value. Certainly worth the restoration. Thanks for sharing.

Here are a couple more shots of it.(with original bridge intact). It's a keeper, and a great player. :)

Merlino_Ukulele_2015_014.jpgMerlino_Ukulele_2015_032.jpg

Top Bottom