Blackwood and Huon Pine Concert

BR Ukuleles

Reaction score
Every once in a while you'll build an instrument that just makes you go "Wow". And I just can't believe how this one turned out.

All my instruments for clients are finished in lacquer, but I wanted to spend some time and do a full French Polish on one.

There is just something about the French Polish that brings figured timber to life that other finishes can't match. I think the best way I can describe is how an opal changes color when you roll it around in the light.

Body - Australian Blackwood, 1 piece back from Dorrigo NSW
Soundboard - Tasmanian Huon Pine
Bindings - Lace Sheoak from West Australia
Fret Board - Indian Ebony
Neck - Brazilian Mahogany
Finish - Blond Shellac, Garnet Shellac, Blond Shellac
Strings - Worth Browns

Blackwood and Huon Pine Concert-2.jpgBlackwood and Huon Pine Concert-3.jpgBlackwood and Huon Pine Concert-4.jpgBlackwood and Huon Pine Concert-5.jpgBlackwood and Huon Pine Concert-6.jpg

I've been looking at your instruments and saying 'Wow' since I came to this forum! But I think I know what you mean: its good to hear that once in a while you are still able to look at something you've made and recognise that you've achieved something special.

Wow, WOW!

Looks fantastic.

Tell us more about that Huon Pine. The grain is very beautiful... How does it sound? How does it work?

Huon Pine is a really unconventional timber for instruments. Is very aromatic and slightly oily. It comes in various figures and this one is referred to as "White Bait". Looking like small fish in a school.

It's full and rich, but doesn't have an overly bright tone like spruce. I would say that it's part way between a hardwood and softwood.

Looks really great. Did you stain it at all, or is that close to its natural colour?

No stain at all. The shellac was blonde, then a couple of sessions with garnet, and then more blonde. The garnet has given it just a hint of a glow.

I built a soprano for a client with the same Huon Pine at the same time and under lacquer its not as warm looking. Here's a couple pictures of that instrument.

Blackwood and Huon Pine Soprano-3.jpgBlackwood and Huon Pine Soprano-7.jpg

French polishing is fun! You either enjoy the process or you don't. You either have the patience or not... Always love the design balance in your designs Allen. The parts connect with the whole in harmony. Distinctive and recognizable style too. I could see one of your ukes at a hundred yards and say, "Yup. Looks like a McFarlen.".

No stain at all. The shellac was blonde, then a couple of sessions with garnet, and then more blonde. The garnet has given it just a hint of a glow.
I built a soprano for a client with the same Huon Pine at the same time and under lacquer its not as warm looking. Here's a couple pictures of that instrument.

Very nice still! Thanks for the info. Always nice to learn about new wood species :)

French polishing is fun! You either enjoy the process or you don't. You either have the patience or not... Always love the design balance in your designs Allen. The parts connect with the whole in harmony. Distinctive and recognizable style too. I could see one of your ukes at a hundred yards and say, "Yup. Looks like a McFarlen.".

Very true! This new one is a beauty.

It's gorgeous. I really like the French polish. Compared to lacquered finish, how much work and time consuming is it?

It's gorgeous. I really like the French polish. Compared to lacquered finish, how much work and time consuming is it?

It's certainly a different process, but I didn't find that it took more time than a full gloss lacquer one.

Top Bottom